Image "ghosts" on Quest 2

I have no problem with frame rate but when I fly-by objects (both land and in air) and look either left or right, more often than not, ghost image of the object is shown. I do not notice this in MSFS (cough) so is there any setting I can tweak to eliminate this?

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

I have turned the options off listed in the thread and the problem still persists. I guess it may be refresh rate thing, but I have my doubts.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Something has recently changed beyond our knowing, because out of nowhere I have the same issue these past few days where by FPS are good, in the 20s, but in the cockpit it stutters/lags.  Also happens in American Truck Sim in VR so its not a DCS thing.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

You're probably running just a little too much super-sampling.  Have you tried reducing that in either OTT, DCS PD, or both?  That was usually what caused issues for me, no matter which headset I was using.  Frame rate stayed the same in all cases, but I got the ghosting if my super-sampling was set too high.  Also, I highly recommend the Kegetys shader mod.  That allows you to run higher super-sampling with less impact in the form of ghosting. 

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Rolling the SS way back to at least 1, no effect, rolling back Hz to 72 and rolling back refresh, no effect.  Also happens in other V games as noted.

So its an Oculus thing or something outside DCS.

BTW this is also happening on the DCSW UI screen.

Edited by Steel Jaw

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Is it possible that the cause is the Quest2 device itslef being faulty?  Maybe a firmware issue of hardware?  Could it be the link cable damaged (getting 1.7 gbps on cx test)?

21 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

Rolling the SS way back to at least 1, no effect, rolling back Hz to 72 and rolling back refresh, no effect.  Also happens in other V games as noted.

So its an Oculus thing or something outside DCS.

BTW this is also happening on the DCSW UI screen.

Oh, sorry Steel Jaw, my post was actually directed at the OP.  I forgot to use the quote feature to make it clear who I was responding to.  

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

@eaglecash867 My PD is 1.0 and I don't use OTT and I am not sure how to change the SS. BTW, the ghosting happens to both Oculus and SteamVR.

Do I have to tone down the SSAA instead?

Edited by VFGiPJP

45 minutes ago, VFGiPJP said:

@eaglecash867 My PD is 1.0 and I don't use OTT and I am not sure how to change the SS. BTW, the ghosting happens to both Oculus and SteamVR.

I wonder if the Oculus itself is faulty?  For me, I see the same issue on other games as well.

Well, a little further test:

if the user turn left or right, 90 degrees off the front and not tracking the object moving by, little to no noticeable ghosting, even the object is moving at high speed.

However, if the player tracks the moving object, starting at about 40 to 45 degrees off the front, ghosting starts to appear and is the worst beyond 90 degrees off the front.

I guess it may be the limit of Quest unit.

On 12/17/2021 at 4:03 AM, Steel Jaw said:

Something has recently changed beyond our knowing, because out of nowhere I have the same issue these past few days where by FPS are good, in the 20s, but in the cockpit it stutters/lags.  Also happens in American Truck Sim in VR so its not a DCS thing.

I am not sure if "ghosting" is what I think it is but FPS in the 20's is not good for VR in any game, it is actually way below absolute minimum. On the quest 2 default the minimum stable rate (The FPS your PC must maintain) I is 36fps and ASW (Asynchronous Spacewarp) boosts that up to 72fps which is what the Quest 2 runs at default and as a minimum. ASW does a remarkable job but if I am right one of the downsides is "ghosting" which is being referred to in this thread. Sounds like it but I have never heard of it like that. It has always been "artifacts" in my head but ghosting seems to fit probably better.

I can tell visually how much work ASW is doing by looking at the leading edge of my wing while stuff is speeding by, trees, houses etc. Say I have a nice stable 40 FPS indicated, I have Rift S on this system so it wants 80fps. It needs to pull 80fps but if it can't it locks it to 40fps to keep it smooth and takes and educated guess at what the next frame will be to get the Rift S display at 80fps nice and smoothly. If ASW is working I will then see a shimmer in front of the leading edge, how big a shimmer is an indicator of how much work ASW is doing. Another example I can think of is in a merge as the other plane goes by you sort of see two of them and the last is trees sort of doubling up/blurring when you turn in a chopper etc. Is this what you guys are calling ghosting?

I suspect it is and this is how you get rid of it. Tune your rig and Quest 2 settings to pull a minimum of 72fps. Then no ghosting. That is probably not going to happen so this is what you can do to get the best you can.

To minimize the ghosting tune your rig and Quest 2 to get as much as you can to get past 36fps. The more you get past that 36fps the less work ASW needs to do and the less ghosting you will get, below 36fps ASW just can't do it and you will get huge "ghosting" and judders etc. It is almost magic but not quite and in your case 36fps is the bottom line.

FYI you can manually turn on and off ASW buy these hotkeys.
ctrl+num1 disables it
ctrl+num2 locks to 45 fps
ctrl+num3 locks to 45 with asw on
ctrl+num4 resets to auto

I do believe the 45 is a relic from the Rift CV1 and 45 should say half. IE half of 72fps is 36fps and it seems to work on the misses Quest 2 and on my Rift S (80fps) that 45 is actually 40 but you can play around with them in game and see the difference... as long as you hit a minimum of 36fps stable.

Apart from changing your setting in game and Quest 2 these tools can help.

Oculus Tray Tool.
It allows you to set individual profiles for each game. Super sampling, ASW mode, CPU priority and other stuff. I could not get by without this one.

This video may also help but not sure as I didn't watch it through because I am only this much helpful today. I skipped through it and he explains what you need to do by the looks of it. The 300% is probably BS though. Hey it's a head start at least  😉

Oculus Debug Tool.
You already have this installed. Usually "C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusDebugTool.exe"
It has some monitors that let you help debug problems.

And lastly not for DCS but for your American Truck Sim. It runs bad on Oculus as it is more for SteamVR unless something has changed. That means it will run but not very well but be amazed and stuff... I have some help for you there as well... possibly.

OpenComposite.
Not for use in any Oculus native game but some native SteamVR games don't work so well with Oculus and if I remember correctly American Truck Sim is one of them and it went from poor to awesome using that DLL replacement for me. If memory serves I only installed in ATS and I think it worked in IL2 as well. Take that with a grain of salt as it has been quite a while but pretty sure this will help with you ATS problem. I also recommend you only do the as needed installation (Copy and replace a DLL I think) and not the whole shebang install (The exe) as you don't need to fix what isn't broken.

All the best mate.

• Like 1

i9-9900K,Z390 Aorus Master, 32GB GSkill Trident F4-3600 DDR4, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti, Oculus Rift S. Thrustmaster Warthog T&S, TPR Pedals.

41 minutes ago, Shrubbo said:

I am not sure if "ghosting" is what I think it is but FPS in the 20's is not good for VR in any game, it is actually way below absolute minimum.

On my previous RiftS I never crossed 30 FPS in sim and there were zero jitters.

8 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

On my previous RiftS I never crossed 30 FPS in sim and there were zero jitters.

I am surprised mate as that FPS is absolutely horrible FPS for VR. Not trying to be a d*^k or anything but that is pretty much unacceptable FPS for 2d. For VR I don't see how you found it playable but each to their own. If that seems fine with you the screw what I say and enjoy it.

Something to point out however is that if your Rift S only pulled 30fps the Quest 2 will really punish it.

Rift S
1440 × 1280 px per eye or 2880x1280 for the panel.
80hz locked

Quest 2
1832x1920 per eye or 3664x1920 for the panel, variable
72hz to 120hz.

I suspect the rig you have pushing it all is being beaten to death by the Q2 and DCS is not known for being hardware friendly so to speak.

Anyway bud, I hope you get it sorted.

• Like 1

i9-9900K,Z390 Aorus Master, 32GB GSkill Trident F4-3600 DDR4, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti, Oculus Rift S. Thrustmaster Warthog T&S, TPR Pedals.

To clarify  what I am referring to, so nobody understands, I make a video to illustrate my point:

Notice at the end how the F-15E looks when it goes past you.

• Like 1

BTW I just thought of something else. The Rift S just plugged into your PC and got the graphics signal straight from the card via a HDMI connection and powered through a seeperate USB connection. The Q2 software converts and compresses the image as I understand it and then send it to the actual Q2 hardware via WiFi or USB cable and then decompresses it and displays what you see. So unless I am wrong your hardware has that to deal with as well.

2 minutes ago, VFGiPJP said:

To clarify  what I am referring to, so nobody understands, I make a video to illustrate my point:

Notice at the end how the F-15E looks when it goes past you.

What FPS are you actually pulling there? To me it looked like what I described above.

18 minutes ago, Shrubbo said:

I suspect the rig you have pushing it all is being beaten to death by the Q2

I think you're right but then I thought my specs were pretty high end...guess not.

May be not:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Steel Jaw said:

I think you're right but then I thought my specs were pretty high end...guess not.

What are your specs out of curiosity?

5 minutes ago, VFGiPJP said:

May be not:

Are you running SteamVR with a Quest 2 or I am just unfamiliar with whatever you are using? I mention this as it says SteamVR SS is at 100% and Reprojection is at around 30%. If you are using SteamVR then there is half your problem I suspect but even if you are not and you are using something I don't know of to get those stats. "Reprojection" is sorta the same thing as ASW and is doing 30% of the work.

Your average FPS is only around 60 so ASW is going to be needed but that tool you are using seems to indicate you are using SteamVR.

7 minutes ago, Steel Jaw said:

In my sig, thanks

Well that is interesting. One of my extensions must bloc it as what I am writing this in there is no sig. I just opened this page in Chrome and I can see it now. I learn something new every day.

Ok, your system looks good mate. My better half's machine is around that and it runs very nice with the Q2. I got an i9 9900k and a rtx2080ti + Rift S and I am envious of it. Something is absolutely wrong somewhere but I don't know anything else to suggest mate, sorry.

That rig only got 30fps with a Rift S???

Edited by Shrubbo

13 minutes ago, Shrubbo said:

My better half's machine is around that and it runs very nice with the Q2.

Game and refresh/render settings, using OTT, any idea even generally, brother?

1 hour ago, Steel Jaw said:

No but I know your FPS should be way past what you have. I thought you has some old POS by what you are describing.

Try using the monitors is in Oculus Debug Tool. Usually "C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusDebugTool.exe"

I attached an image to show you where they are if you are unfamiliar with it. You might be able to figure something out with it.

debug.png

EDIT: BTW I will go fire her rig up and see what I can see.

Edit Edit: Ok I have done so. The following give her a solid 36FPS (Racked up to 72FPS by ASW) and without ASW running around 56FPS. Benchmark is loading up the instant action mission TF51D and the Hot Start mission at Caucasus. Also flying around gives a solid 36 as well so nice and smooth. Note not optimized for heavy combat. She just likes to fly around and I could do better if I spent more time on it.

OTT 2.png

OTT.png

Quest 2 settinga.png

DCS setup.png

Debug tool.png

DXDiag 1.png

DXDiag 2.png

Edited by Shrubbo

I have run the debug monitor but it always disappears when I start DCSW.

42 minutes ago, Shrubbo said:

My better half's machine is around that and it runs very nice with the Q2.