Image "ghosts" on Quest 2

57 minutes ago, Steel Jaw said:

I have run the debug monitor but it always disappears when I start DCSW.

Game and refresh/render settings, using OTT, any idea even generally, brother?

Look up one post, I just edited it with everything I have atm.

Or click this link to take you back....

Edited by Shrubbo

i9-9900K,Z390 Aorus Master, 32GB GSkill Trident F4-3600 DDR4, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti, Oculus Rift S. Thrustmaster Warthog T&S, TPR Pedals.

2 hours ago, Shrubbo said:

Look up one post, I just edited it with everything I have atm.

Or click this link to take you back....

Above and beyond you went, cheers brother and Merry Christmas.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Again, on the Rift I never saw more than ~30 FPS and no jitters/lag.  I never cross 30 with my O2 either.

IIRC the VR FPS can be a much lower number than 2d.  If you are talking about the sim FPS counter that is (LCTL Pause).

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

2 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

Again, on the Rift I never saw more than ~30 FPS and no jitters/lag.  I never cross 30 with my O2 either.

IIRC the VR FPS can be a much lower number than 2d.  If you are talking about the sim FPS counter that is (LCTL Pause).

It needs to actually be much faster to help stop you puking but more so for immersive gameplay. The Q2 default is 72fps which is the lowest I know of. They originally thought 90fps was bare minimum. The Q2 is going to run at 72fps anyway no matter what you throw at it but if you can't supply the FPS that is when things start to happen just as with a monitor on a 2d game.

As far as DCS + Q2 goes at default anything under 72fps (default for q2) forces ASW to turn on to try and maintain that 72fps. So CTRL + Pause should show in your case a steady 36fps minimum for smooth game play. It should only jump between 2 numbers, 36 and 72, Best case 72. Outside of that it is struggling. The amount of ghosting depends on how much lower then 72 fps ASW has to deak with. If you then press L Ctrl + numpad 1 that will turn off ASW and you will see the FPS jumping around, no ghost but a crap experience. L Ctrl + numpad 4 turns it back on. If cntrl + pause shows anything under 36ps you will not get smooth a smooth fps. Under 36fps you will see no difference in FPS as ASW can't cope.

If you can run 72 or higher it will stay at 72 unless you turn it off but it will be smooth as butter. The Q2 can go to 120hz but I think the game code has to call for that (?) and I would like to own the PC that could do that with DCS and look great at the same time.

In VFGIP's example below he appears to be running at around 58fps, his GPU at 98% and reprojection at around 32%. I say appears as that seems to be running SteamVR instead of Oculus Vr software. The point being that there is no way you are going to be able to see a plane fly by at 90 degrees and those closing speeds even at 60fps. He doesn't appear to have what I now call ghosting but he sure doesn't have enough FPS to fill the gaps.

I was going to say I can't understand how you could find 30fps acceptable but I  just remembered a mate of mine has the same rig as me an runs his settings in DCS on high. No way we can maintain above 40fps (In combat or say Dubai) at those setting but he doesn't seem to notice and he is happy with that. For me it is unplayable. ghosting and jittering all over the place. Similar to trying to run DCS on a 4k monitor with a budget machine, it just isn't going to be smooth but hey you may be happy with it so more power to you if that works for you.

It is also possible I have no idea of what I am talking about but I think I am in the ball park and just trying to help out so a merry Christmas to you all as well 🙂

Edited by Shrubbo
  • Like 1

i9-9900K,Z390 Aorus Master, 32GB GSkill Trident F4-3600 DDR4, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti, Oculus Rift S. Thrustmaster Warthog T&S, TPR Pedals.

Tried replicating your settings and have been trying to fix this for 10 days.  No go.

Tonight I completely uninstall DCSW and reinstall.  Saturday night when you're old...sigh.

If still no fix I be giving up.

Edited by Steel Jaw

If I didn't know you had windows 10 I would say I know your problem. That win 11 thing was doing my head in as well for an extended period. Anyway I hope you get it going mate, your rig should do much better. All the best.

6 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

Tried replicating your settings and have been trying to fix this for 10 days.  No go.

Tonight I completely uninstall DCSW and reinstall.  Saturday night when you're old...sigh.

If still no fix I be giving up.

This may or may not help but this guys had FPS in the 20's in multiplayer and seemed to have derived some benefit from links provided. So maybe worth a look?

10 hours ago, Shrubbo said:

The point being that there is no way you are going to be able to see a plane fly by at 90 degrees and those closing speeds even at 60fps. He doesn't appear to have what I now call ghosting but he sure doesn't have enough FPS to fill the gaps.

Okay that's explain mostly. 😄 So my case is more or less closed and I am outta here. But before I go, since; this thread is way off-topic already, I would like my £0.02:

The thing is, it is always about tradeoff: quality vs fps. Most of the time, you can't have both. And it does not worth putting too much time on tuning VR. Seriously, play the dang game, put the time in learning something "useful" instead, practice hovering! Try and land on a flat top!

As it is for the maps, Syria and The Channel are the most demanding, and to a certain degree, Caucasus and PG  -- I honestly dunno why, especially when you look at how MSFS is doing with same dang regions (man, don't get me start with Tokyo).  So, if you want a decent enjoyment, try Nevada or Marianna, cause they are mostly blank...in a very good way. I get constantly over 60 or even 90 with my BFM missions (AD: check out my BFM missions over at the User Files Section)

I do not do multiplayer so I cannot comment.

I used to go with native Oculus ( now Meta, mind you 😞 ) VR API but I switched back to SteamVR lately due to FSR:

I can say it gives me less than 10 gain in comparison with a tiny bit worse in visual quality. Yes, it shimmers / stutters a lot, yes, a whole dang lot, but usually when the game is loading so I can still tolerate. I do not use ASW: it looks like something is sucking the images out of my displays. I do not use OTT  cause it is a damnation for some reason I don't understand, and I have tried it on 2 different computers so it is very apparent the application hates me. Now I run a script for all my settings via ODT after loading DCS. Some map like Caucasus tops at 45 but some like Nevada can go all the way up to 90. In case anyone wants to see the ODT setting, as I have posted it elsewhere also, here we go:

ODT setting 2.jpg

If you are still reading this stupid piece, thanks and have a very nice holiday.

Edited by VFGiPJP
  • Like 2

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

One thing I forgot to mention is that between the old RiftS and Oc2 now, I have been trying to push a PD of 1.85 to 2.00, the visuals being too relatively crappy for me to tolerate at 1.2 or 1.3.  Perhaps Im asking for too much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steel Jaw said:

One thing I forgot to mention is that between the old RiftS and Oc2 now, I have been trying to push a PD of 1.85 to 2.00, the visuals being too relatively crappy for me to tolerate at 1.2 or 1.3.  Perhaps Im asking for too much.

PD 2.00. My god man. Diminishing returns past 1.5 and I think I run mine at 1.2/ I think you are asking too much 😄

15 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

I went through that list of links I posted for you above and did some of the optimization mods myself, played with setting etc as suggest and I got a boost which I am pretty happy with but for the hell of it I checked and I can tell you that I am pretty sure I know what your problem is. It is your PD. I believe you are asking too much. Way to much. If anyone knows how to get a good FPS and have it look half decent with that PD please let me know how. Like I said I can't see sigs on the browser. Some extension is blocking it so I just updated mine to what I am running. It is a little more powerful then yours but I am running the rift S so I am not needing to push the pixels you have to.

With that in mind these are roughly the FPS numbers I was getting in my test map with my preferred graphics settings.

PD 2.5
FPS mid 20's. ASW on or off, didn't matter. Unplayable.

PD 2.0
Low to mid 30's. ASW on or off didn't matter as it needs to min of 40 fps with my Rift S. Crappy. Horrible.

PD 1.5
Could pull 40 up to 60's but would sometimes duck below 40. ASW helped smooth things out a bit but it would stutter sometimes because of the sub 40's. Not working for me.

PD 1.2
Up to 80fps and ducked to the 60's with ASW off. Some jitters as the FPS was not stable. Sure was pretty on the fly byes though when it was.
I could lock it at 40fps with no ASW (CTRL +num2) and it would stay there rock stable. Still at 40 fps I can see those frames. No ghosting tho. Acceptable sort of for me.
I could lock it to 40fps with ASW on (CTRL+Num3) and it was butter smooth. Some ghosting on the fly byes but this is the sweet spot for me.

There is no way I can think of to get good FPS at the PD's you are running at, with a Rift S and my rig and my preferred graphics settings which suit me.

If I run the default low setting in DCS and a PD of 2.0 I can get a stable 80fps on my test map but it looks horrible. Clear, but I can clearly see the horrible. On another test map I have that has a lot of combat units doing their thing it can jump from 80 to high 30's so I get the worst of both haha.

TL/DR.  I think your PD is way to high. I suggest yo try DCS on the default low settings with that PD and see what you get. If you get great FPS then that is for sure your problem and then you have to work out what you want to trade and see if you can find a balance you can be happy with.

For reference this is my preferred setting ATM though I am sure that will change in the next 10 minutes. Having fun seeing what I can actually get out of it.

My setting atm.png

Edited by Shrubbo

At the lowest possible settings the issue still happens.

I should also mention that the ghosting only happend inside the cockpit!  When looking outside or in exterior views it doesn't happen.  I tried all cockpit resolution settings.

Its not the horsepower of my rig...in 2d flatscreen I have EVERYTHING cranked as high as it goes and still pull ~80FPS with Track IR.

Unfortunately for me, I think I will have to go back to 2d and Track IR.

Edited by Steel Jaw

So, after 2 weeks I gave up.  Had my brother send me the Best Buy receipt and doing an exchange.  Had to talk to the store manager who cut me a Christmas break.  Will try the new one and advise.  Maybe I got a lemon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

So, after 2 weeks I gave up.  Had my brother send me the Best Buy receipt and doing an exchange.  Had to talk to the store manager who cut me a Christmas break.  Will try the new one and advise.  Maybe I got a lemon.

I hope so, that sucks. This has actually been a learning experience for me as well. I am starting to lean more toward a greater FPS speed then lower and really nice graphics with all the playing around I have done once I got into this thread. so thanks to you guys for bringing it up. There is something to be said for an 80fps fly bye with no ASW running.

The cockpit FPS limit is crazy with your rig so something is definitely wrong. I found this on the cockpit thing though. May be of help. Anyway hope you get it sorted mate.

On 12/20/2021 at 4:52 PM, Steel Jaw said:

New O2, same issue.

Back to Square One.

Likely just going to have to shelve it for now and return to TrackIR.

This may be along shot, but the latest Nvidia drivers were a bit unstable for me until I did a Restore Defaults on the main 3D Settings Tab (not the DCS tab) in the Nvidia control panel. 

Edited by Glide
clarity

7 hours ago, Glide said:

This may be along shot, but the latest Nvidia drivers were a bit unstable for me until I did a Restore Defaults on the main 3D Settings Tab (not the DCS tab) in the Nvidia control panel. 

Thanks but I have tried older drivers.

Thing is, it worked fine the first week, end of Nov.  And then it didnt.  So its got be eather a M$ OS update or a DCS update that killed it.

On 12/12/2021 at 7:15 PM, VFGiPJP said:

I have no problem with frame rate but when I fly-by objects (both land and in air) and look either left or right, more often than not, ghost image of the object is shown. I do not notice this in MSFS (cough) so is there any setting I can tweak to eliminate this?

The ghost image may be Steam's 'motion smoothing'. 
Try turning it off and see if it disappears. 

I also have a bit of ghosting when it's enabled but it doesn't bother me all that much. 

Yeah dude just watched your video that's Steam's motion smoothing, it looks exactly the same. 

Do you see the little blue, orange and red boxes in the upper left of your goggles ? I believe that when fps is too low, Steam 'guesses' a frame and inserts it. That can lead to a little bit of ghosting sometimes. 
If you do not see the boxes it may still be enabled, because you can turn the indicators off but keep motion smoothing enabled. 

I can see it myself when i am going really fast in F3 view and shoot by the camera. 

What is it:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/250820/old_view/1696061565016280495?l=swedish#:~:text=Today we are introducing a new feature in SteamVR called Motion Smoothing.&text=When SteamVR sees that an,and extrapolates a new frame.

How enable disable:
So4kTQA.png

Edited by Csgo GE oh yeah
  • Thanks 1

I do not have the choices of brightness and motion smoothing as I run SteamVR through Oculus app

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Wow that blows. 
What if you enable 1 controller, than start Steam VR (you are then in that little VR room). 
And then you hit 'settings' with your controller ?

There's options there as well

Also i read that the oculus software has 'it's own' motion smoothing stuff going on , and apparently Steam's motion smoothing is disabled with the oculus. 
There's gotta be a setting to turn it off somewhere i imagine. 

Edited by Csgo GE oh yeah

This is the video setting screen. I check and I am in SteamVR beta 1.21.4

Clipboard02.jpg

On 12/26/2021 at 7:13 AM, VFGiPJP said:

This is the video setting screen. I check and I am in SteamVR beta 1.21.4

Clipboard02.jpg

Am I reading correctly that you're running your Oculus headset through SteamVR for DCS?  With Oculus headsets, you don't need to run them through SteamVR for DCS to work.  Have you tried just going into DCS without SteamVR involved?

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Yes, I did and the problem was still there. I switched (back) to SteamVR lately because I can use VRNetSafer and FSR.

Got it.  Just making sure. 😀

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly: