9M114 use limitations

Apok

Supposedly 9M114  is prohibited from being used if gun/pod has been fired or rocket pods first. Do we get that limitation in DCS?

Worry is of forming cracks in solid propellant of missile via vibrations. Would be interesting to get random kaboom when not following this and trying to fire missile.

30 minutes ago, Apok said:

Supposedly 9M114  is prohibited from being used if gun/pod has been fired or rocket pods first. Do we get that limitation in DCS?

Worry is of forming cracks in solid propellant of missile via vibrations. Would be interesting to get random kaboom when not following this and trying to fire missile.

Source for this?

6 hours ago, Apok said:

Never heard of that before today. Any source?

It's not entirely true. There actually was a restriction in place for older 9M114 – it really was forbidden to shoot them after using main cannon. But newer 9M114 (with blue marking on the front of the tube) and all 9M120 don't have those restrictions.

Source: article 2.6.6 of an old Mi-24V flight manual

Edited by VitMax

Well, yes. But for me it's not entirely clear what restriction really is. Manual says you can't use blue ribbon missiles after they were attached while you shot 10 'боекомплект' from any other weapon. Problem is, I'm not sure, what they mean by 'боекомплект' here. It may mean burst, but it also may mean full ammo loads for a weapon. From the way it's worded, I tend to think it means 10 full ammo loads shot across multiple flights. I may be wrong, of course.

And, of course, it should be noted that I quote manual for Mi-24V from 1986. Things might have changed since then.

I found someone quoting that from Mi35M restictions on a military forum, so I guess it didnt change. That 10 uses should be full ammo load and in DCS we wont see effect of that cuz we would need 5-10 flights. There are also restrictions tied to use of specifically UPK-23-250  when having missiles but we dont have that either.

Edited by Apok

• 1 month later...

There is a delay between my gunner firing, target exploding, me selecting the next target and my AI shooting the next missile. What are the parameters here? Is this documented? Does a human gunner have the same restriction? I googled but can't find info.

On 12/12/2021 at 7:47 PM, Apok said:

That's curious, and then they fly home with several potentially damaged missiles that then have to be disposed of? Or would they break them open to see if the propellant is still good?

3 hours ago, ApoNOOB said:

There is a delay between my gunner firing, target exploding, me selecting the next target and my AI shooting the next missile. What are the parameters here? Is this documented? Does a human gunner have the same restriction? I googled but can't find info.

The AI gunner has built in 'delays' to simulate a human switching to the next missile, getting on the scope and being able to find targets again. I don't know if these delays are fixed, dependant on other variables, or random. I'm not aware of the physical weapon system limitations.

11 hours ago, ApoNOOB said:

The missile takes .9 seconds to launch after pressing the button. The button is in the front cockpit, so the pilot has to tell CPG to launch over intercom then after Petro presses launch it takes .9 seconds.

The missile has a 17 second battery and takes about 12 seconds to go 5km

If you close the sight the gyros take 7-8 seconds to spin up, if you want to select a second target without that delay just press up short again without closing the sight using down short

After firing the missile, the computer has no idea when missile impacts. Petro has to manually turn off the radio guidance signals before being able to be ready to fire another missile. This might be faster with a human but he has to take his head out of the sight, press the radiation reset button, move the dial on the pylon selector to the correct missile, then Put his head back in the sight before firing 

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

2 hours ago, AeriaGloria said:

If you close the sight the gyros take 7-8 seconds to spin up, if you want to select a second target without that delay just press up short again without closing the sight using down short

After firing the missile, the computer has no idea when missile impacts. Petro has to manually turn off the radio guidance signals before being able to be ready to fire another missile. This might be faster with a human but he has to take his head out of the sight, press the radiation reset button, move the dial on the pylon selector to the correct missile, then Put his head back in the sight before firing 

can you elaborate on what to do after once you destroy the target?

from wag's video, it says turn off the observe switch to lock the gimbal..so that the pilot can break away and the sight system doesnt get damage..

is there a more efficient way 

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

4 hours ago, hannibal said:

can you elaborate on what to do after once you destroy the target?

from wag's video, it says turn off the observe switch to lock the gimbal..so that the pilot can break away and the sight system doesnt get damage..

is there a more efficient way 

If you are doing only one firing in an attack run, that's it. Close the sight, break, reposition and repeat.

If you have multiple targets when you start your attack and you want to do 2 or 3 missiles per run, once your missile hits, just tell Petrovich to scan again and select from list. Note: if you are quick to line up next target, there will be delay of about 3-4 seconds to simulate what Aeria said about IRL procedure