Westland Lynx

whiteladder

I bought "The Royal Navy Lynx: An Operational History" a week ago and have just got to the end of the section about its involvement in the South Atlantic.  Firstly a great book with first hand accounts from most of the various flight that operated the Lynx during the war.  Secondly, it really makes you want to have a flyable version in DCS, not just for the South Atlantic map, but also the Gulf.

• Like 3

Great little helo… very much needed for all those lovely ships Raz are making for South Atlantic

Very distinctive sound - always sounded “wound up” / angry.  One of the updated Wildcats flew low over the house last week, still an unmistakable sounding aircraft

would be great to fly one in DCS

Edited by rkk01
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, rkk01 said:

Very distinctive sound - always sounded “wound up” / angry.  

Well interestingly in the book it says that one of the things that gave it such high performance was the extremely stiff titanium rotor head, and its compact size was a gearbox that used conformal gear tooth profile, but that these also led to very high vibration levels and high cabin noise (at least in the mk1 and 2) .  It jokingly says you can tell ex lynx pilots and observers apart by which ear they wear their hearing aids in!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/13/2021 at 7:49 PM, whiteladder said:

I bought "The Royal Navy Lynx: An Operational History" a week ago and have just got to the end of the section about its involvement in the South Atlantic.  Firstly a great book with first hand accounts from most of the various flight that operated the Lynx during the war.  Secondly, it really makes you want to have a flyable version in DCS, not just for the South Atlantic map, but also the Gulf.

I can also highly recommend SCRAM! By Harry Benson. He flew the Wessex in the Falklands, but the book is a collection of stories from various crews throughout the conflict. Well worth a read.

• Like 2

i7-9700F, 32Gb RAM, RTX 2080 Super, HP Reverb G2.

On 2/4/2022 at 7:18 AM, Grievo said:

I can also highly recommend SCRAM! By Harry Benson. He flew the Wessex in the Falklands, but the book is a collection of stories from various crews throughout the conflict. Well worth a read.

This ^^^^.

A fantastic read that’s hard to put down.

• Like 2

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

• 5 months later...
2 minutes ago, joey45 said:

It'll be a great MOD.

@Hawkeye60 has an AI Lynx that I intend to use on my Falklands mission ... it's not perfect but for background AI use its perfect:

XdvWkrI.jpg

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I know of another in development.

Screen_220802_184808.png

Screen_220802_184641.png

WIP

I will not reveal the author, yet.

He needs to give me permission to do so first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

• 6 months later...

My first encounter with a Lynx on exercise in Germany, Paderborn training area, 78-79. We were Orange team, and on top of a hill, nice 3 man team with landrover, happy days. 

Had all the cam out so not easy to spot. Then we heard it.....L O N G time before we saw it, got the LMG ready and could have put the kettle on and made a mug of tea, man it was noisy, they overshot us and came back a few minutes later, you could'nt hear yourself think with it searching for us. Then it legged it. No chance of a surprise attack from that! We put it in our report and were'nt asked to play again. 

• Like 2