Thrustmaster stick Base to Virpil Base Question

Burt

I'm planning to switch to a Virpil base from my Thrustaster Warthog stick base and use my TM stick. I use the Monstertech table mounts for my TM Hotas and I do not use any extension for the stick as of this time. So my question would be do I get the VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base. I guess the VPC Warbrd base is to use flat on the table right ?  And from Monstertech just get the Virpil stick base bracket. 

Thanks

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

My understanding is the Warbrd can also be mounted. It has a greater deflection range which may be handy if you never plan to use an extension. The CM2 base is easier to change cams and springs if you plan to regularly tweak things.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Gotcha ! Well cordite I will only have to get the mounting plate bracket as I already have the table mounts. Just alittle confused on which Virpil base to get. I thought the Warbrd is not for extensions ? 

virpil bracket.png

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Yes my understanding is the CM2 is designed with extensions in mind and has a smaller deflection range and the Warbrd designed without extensions. However, both can use extensions or not as preferred. There is no risk of damaging the Warbrd base with extensions just that the deflection range may be too great for comfort or fit.

Edited by Baldrick33
  • Thanks 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Okay great thanks ! I’m not sure if I want to use an extension and if I did it would be maybe a little short one. I watched a few videos and I’m really leaning towards the CM2 base. I’m also thinking to add the TM F18 grip too. Seems the CM2 is out of stock so I have alittle time to decide.

Thanks !

Start Date April 2020 

27 minutes ago, Burt said:

Okay great thanks ! I’m not sure if I want to use an extension and if I did it would be maybe a little short one. I watched a few videos and I’m really leaning towards the CM2 base. I’m also thinking to add the TM F18 grip too. Seems the CM2 is out of stock so I have alittle time to decide.

Thanks !

Your thought process is the same as mine! I have recently got the TM F18 grip to go with my TM base for now, hoping to get a Virpil base next, I currently use a 100mm extension with my TM so probably be the CM2. I really like the F18 stick, it fits my hand better than the original A10 one, plus it is a bit lighter. I think most Virpil products are on back order, so I would wary about waiting for them to be in stock.

• Like 1

Thanks for your feedback I hope to have the Virpil and F18 setup soon and will be patiently waiting for them to stock up before the itch goes away.

Start Date April 2020 

2 hours ago, Burt said:

Thanks for your feedback I hope to have the Virpil and F18 setup soon and will be patiently waiting for them to stock up before the itch goes away.

The CM2 is always on back order, I ordered mine to mount the TM F18 stick on and from order to arrival in the (UK) was 2 weeks, so backorder is measured in days from what I’ve experienced.

• Thanks 1

Asus ROG IX | Intel i7-9700K | RTX 2080TI | G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM | Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M2 | LG 43” 4K Monitor | TrackiR | Stream Deck XL | Warthog HOTAS | Cougar MFDs x 3 | Saitek Rudder Pedals | Logitech G13| Corsair Virtuoso Wireless Headset |

I appreciate it ! 

Start Date April 2020 

I never used the Thrustmaster Target Program with my warthog because it’s to complicated for me and only use the DCS binding controls, will I be able to do the same with Virpil gear ? I’m also thinking of getting the 50mm extension because Im used to the stick being close to the base.

I have heard the virpil program had some issues in the past has that been taking care of and more user friendly ? 

Thanks

Start Date April 2020 

1 hour ago, Burt said:

I never used the Thrustmaster Target Program with my warthog because it’s to complicated for me and only use the DCS binding controls, will I be able to do the same with Virpil gear ? I’m also thinking of getting the 50mm extension because Im used to the stick being close to the base.

I have heard the virpil program had some issues in the past has that been taking care of and more user friendly ? 

Thanks

Your PC will always see the joystick so DCS direct bindings still work without any background software running, the Virpil program is used to program buttons directly and is the Virpil equivalent of Target. I use a 100mm extension but 50mm should work nice as well.

Remember that Virpil software won’t program a Thrustmaster stick, however you can re-program the Virpil base so Target thinks it’s a Thrustmaster base, allowing you to use Target in the future. Target is a powerful piece of software and worth learning, there is allot of help on the forums here in case you stuck.

• Thanks 2

Asus ROG IX | Intel i7-9700K | RTX 2080TI | G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM | Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M2 | LG 43” 4K Monitor | TrackiR | Stream Deck XL | Warthog HOTAS | Cougar MFDs x 3 | Saitek Rudder Pedals | Logitech G13| Corsair Virtuoso Wireless Headset |

On 12/13/2021 at 11:07 AM, Burt said:

Gotcha ! Well cordite I will only have to get the mounting plate bracket as I already have the table mounts. …

virpil bracket.png

I understand. What I meant was, monstertech will probably charge you $40 shipping, doubling the cost of the hardware.

• Thanks 1

Ah yes I see my wheels spinning now. I may go that route and just keep the TM warthog on its own base and mount. 

Thanks !

27 minutes ago, Oilman100 said:

Your PC will always see the joystick so DCS direct bindings still work without any background software running, the Virpil program is used to program buttons directly and is the Virpil equivalent of Target. I use a 100mm extension but 50mm should work nice as well.

Remember that Virpil software won’t program a Thrustmaster stick, however you can re-program the Virpil base so Target thinks it’s a Thrustmaster base, allowing you to use Target in the future. Target is a powerful piece of software and worth learning, there is allot of help on the forums here in case you stuck.

Great to know. Thanks for your feedback !

Start Date April 2020 

Good Morning,

In my cart I have the following :

T-50 CM2 base

VPC Deck Mount V4 Adaptor

50mm extension

But not sure if I need the V4-s or the V4-L

Im guessing that if I use the 50mm ext. or not I should get the shorter version as I like my center stick on the low side. I don’t see me ever using a long extension right now.

my decision is almost final.

Start Date April 2020 

1 hour ago, Burt said:

Im guessing that if I use the 50mm ext. or not I should get the shorter version as I like my center stick on the low side. I don’t see me ever using a long extension right now.

I am using the V4-L with the CM2 base, a 7cm extension and the MongoosT-50CM2 grip which I guess is about the same height as the Warthog grip?

With the V4-L you have more options to place your setup vertically - base, extension (7cm) and grip together have ~44cm  of height

Might be that with the V4-s you end up too high.

Edited by golani79
  • Thanks 1

Gotcha thanks ! 

Im gonna invest and going with the Monstertech mounts from a few videos I watched their just more sturdy. Also I don’t like that high lip on the virpil mount because my keyboard will have to be pushed back. The MT mounts are solid but more $$$ but I have had a great experience with their products with my other sticks especially the RS R3 force sensing base for the Viper the MT mounts Do Not Move !

Edited by Burt

Start Date April 2020 

• 2 weeks later...

My Virpil CM2 arrives on the 29th so yeah just because it’s says out of stock doesn’t mean along wait as said above. I have my TM Warthog stick turned slightly to the left like maybe 11:00 will I be able to do that with the Virpil CM2 base?

Start Date April 2020 

Well I just got a message that DHL will deliver today WOW ! 

Start Date April 2020 

3 hours ago, Burt said:

I have my TM Warthog stick turned slightly to the left like maybe 11:00 will I be able to do that with the Virpil CM2 base?

Yes, BUT (especially if you're going to turn it slightly) take out the 2 screws in the Virpil base that hold down the metal connector.  If you don't, you could put stress on the grip since the connection in the WH grip is fixed but the connection in the WH base is loose (versus the fixed connection in the Virpil base if you don't take these screws out).  Removing them causes no issues, that's how I run my WH F-18 grip with it (twisted slightly).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Man this things a beast ! Thanks rob10 ! 
now just waiting for Monstertech Virpil bracket. 

• Like 1

Start Date April 2020 

On 12/16/2021 at 9:07 AM, Burt said:

Good Morning,

In my cart I have the following :

T-50 CM2 base

VPC Deck Mount V4 Adaptor

50mm extension

But not sure if I need the V4-s or the V4-L

The V4L sticks out pretty far from your desk. Something to think about.

• Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo, Core i9 11900K @ 5.0GHz, Corsair H150i CPU cooler, Asus Prime Z590-A, Radeon RX6800 XT64GB, Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3600, Corsair RM1000X PSU,  Win 11 x64

47 minutes ago, Lucky said:

The V4L sticks out pretty far from your desk. Something to think about.

Thanks Lucky, I decided to stick with Monstertech because of that reason. I just purchased the TM F-18 stick for this CM2 base I'm getting ready and excited for the F-15 Strike eagle. 

Thanks

Start Date April 2020 

Bummer ! The F-18 grip had a bad weapon select switch and wasn’t returning to center from the forward position and the aft was sometimes sticking also. Sending it back for a full refund. Now I’m scared to even get another one. I spent $329 + $35. Shipping and that was waaaaayy to expensive. 
My A10/viper stick will do for now.

Start Date April 2020