Emergency landing in RL

Schlomo1933

IRL they'd probably walk you through emergency procedures and the Air Boss is probably making that call since it's going to foul the landing area for awhile,  right?  Easier to fix in the game, of course and would be nice to tie it to the LSO station rather than letting an individual player FUBAR things in MP. 

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

IRL there would be a lot of people looking at the situation and figuring out the best course of action. Questions they would consider:

Is a divert field available?

How much gas does the aircraft have?

What is aircraft's waveoff / bolter capability?

Is the aircraft structurally sound?

Is the aircraft capable of flying a stable approach?

What is the condition of the ship (pitching deck, night, fog, etc.)?

Will a barricade trap endanger the crew?

Is the situation life threatening?

And many others. Depending on the answers to those questions, the airboss, cag lso and pilot will make a decision on what the best course of action is. But if they decide to bring the plane aboard, it will be straight in with at least a 3 mile final. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

My pleasure. It's a good question. I should also note that barricade traps are almost always reserved for airplanes that have limited or no bolter capability, e.g. damaged landing gear, critically low fuel. If the plane can climb away ok after an attempted trap, they will almost always avoid barricades due to the associated dangers with it.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Morat said:

Is the likelyhood of repair considered? I mean, if it's physically possible to land a damaged plane but it's not going to fly again - why take a risk instead of just banging out near the helo?

Ejection is not particularly safe. Getting pulled out of the water alive is also not guaranteed. Sometimes the least risky choice is landing the aircraft.

And, if its flying now, you can't really say with any certainty it will never fly again. 

• Like 2

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

I will add that even from damage plane you can recover undamaged parts, ejection system is not 100% safe too, if you can land you should land, in addition unmanned jet in the middle of task group is not a good idea.

And if you can fly back your f/a-18 to carrier, the damage can't be fatal, am i right ?

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I trapped the Tomcat with just one engine. It's doable, but don't expect a perfect 3-wire. Tomcat's engines are ridiculously powerful, which makes getting to the carrier easy enough (just make sure to bind the rudder trim), but asymmetric thrust will mess with you in the groove. Not only do you have to keep track of the ball, AoA and horizontal alignment, you also have to put the yaw string in your scan, so that you're actually flying straight. It is awesome if you do manage to pull that off.

TBH, I don't think I'd have needed a crash barrier. Maybe if the other engine was in SEC, but if you're not, you can light the can (don't forget to kick the rudder or you'll fall off the side!). 

Edited by Dragon1-1

On 1/21/2022 at 2:20 PM, =475FG= Dawger said:

Ejection is not particularly safe. Getting pulled out of the water alive is also not guaranteed. Sometimes the least risky choice is landing the aircraft.

And, if its flying now, you can't really say with any certainty it will never fly again. 

Sometimes, certainly. Probably most times. But there has to be a point where Paddles looks at some horribly damaged jet and says "Nope". Or so I'd have thought, sounds like I'm wrong!

On 1/21/2022 at 4:19 AM, Morat said:

Is the likelyhood of repair considered? I mean, if it's physically possible to land a damaged plane but it's not going to fly again - why take a risk instead of just banging out near the helo?

That used to be called a "blue water divert".
Paddles is not the final say in whether the bird can come aboard. The tower rep will talk to the crew, there may be an airborne inspection from another jet and then ultimately, the CO of the ship will decide! Just piggy backing Micr0.

All of this is IRL of course!

• Like 1

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!