RX 6800 XT display port seems to have quit

I'm hoping this is just a setting issue, but who knows. I recently got the updated cable for my Reverb G2. Since switching it out, I've had nothing but issues. I switched back to my other "old" cable, but now IT'S not working. I get the Mixed Reality Portal 1-4 error message, SteamVR cannot detect my headset. I swapped my monitor cable with the headset cable, and when it's in the second display port, it's black as pitch. 

Obviously, I now suspect my graphics card as the source of my woes. Any advice on what to do?

Thanks in advance!

well try this disconnect the cables to the PC from the G2 ,goto Start, settings, mixed reality and uninstall the WMR. then try reinstalling it. I had a similar issue with my G2 when I got the new cable and that seemed to have fixed it..

I would say the DP are fine it is just the G2 being problematic. Oh by the way you did switch on, the Power supply on the G2 cable as it has a power button on the power supply now?

EDIT: I just reread your post have you tried some of the other DP Plugs in the GPU? 

Edited by The_Nephilim

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

If it anything like my 6800xt it has 1x DP and 3x HDMi, 

Is it possible to test the GPU's DP port connected to a monitor instead of a VR headset unit? Only way to really know for sure which has the problem. 

You really have to test to see if changing the cable has physically damaged the GPU's display port in some way. Either by being out of shape slightly, not sure. Was everything powered on when you changed the cable, could it have arced against the case?

This has 1xHDMI, 2xDP and that USB-C or whatever it is. It's the AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT.

Original set up was monitor in DP#1, Reverb G2 in DP#2 and the USB port. When it quit reading the headset, I put the monitor on DP#2 and it went black.

Right now I moved the monitor to the HDMI and the G2 in DP#1 and the USB. That was working (though it got super choppy in DCS) but then I started getting that weird thing where the right "lens" in the G2 seemed to move to the center.

Ok, mine is the MSI Gaming version, how old is the 6800xt? Is it under warranty?

If it was me I would want to confirm if all the outputs on the GPU were working. Possibly try to re-install the driver for the GPU including using AMD driver cleaner or DDU. Something might have been corrupted. After that try playing DCS on the monitor just to check for "choppyness".

I am not familiar enough with VR to know how the settings might effect this. However I would check everything on the monitor after a driver reset.

When you boot to Bios all Ports should work.

The wrong DP cable can kill your components, this is widely unknown but true. It is referred to as "Pin20 Problem".  Make very sure you do not run such a setup where it is WRONG or you have a high risc of frying one or the other part. I have had this with a Dell Optiplex with Dell 4k screen, all came from Dell and the DP cable they sent killed the motherboard eventually. Dell fixed it, took them 6+ months to find the root cause of this PC doing "strange" video related "things". That's how I learned that lesson.

• Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

If it came with a cable, use that one. It should not have an active PIN20. 

That's not easy to find out. If you buy a new DP cable that's when that question really rises in importance and I have no answer. Best would be to read the specs thoroughly and make sure it does not say anything about an active PIN20 feeding voltage into the GPU or iGPU/motherboard/CPU.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X