Is it worth it?

nikita_nomad

I know some people that play DCS like to go all out & do a military type of approach flying trainers first & getting checked off etc., that said, I don’t agree with this approach at least for me. I think It ruins the fun! I served in the USCG & don’t want to “serve” again in a game! To me that just ruins the fun factor! I’m a private pilot as well so I understand navigation & a lot of concepts that can apply in the game. I think if you want to purchase a full module you should & skip the trainers! You might as well learn the aircraft your going to fly in the game. Learning the ins & outs in a trainer would be time you could’ve spent learning the F18 or whatever jet you want to purchase. There are some really good Free mods available like the A4 that are pretty complex to learn that you might consider with fully clickable cockpits! Just have fun, that’s what it’s all about in my opinion! Sure there’s complicated systems you will need to get the hang of and learn but that’s what makes it fun. Learning things in a trainer while what you really want is to learn the F16 or whatever airframe you have in your sights would ruin some of the fun I think. So pick out whatever aircraft you like & just go for it & enjoy yourself! In the long run we aren’t putting our lives on the line, we’re not going to fly the real thing, feel G forces or anything that real fighter pilots will do, so the trainer isn’t necessary. In real life they do this because it’s a extremely complicated & your going to fly a multimillion dollar aircraft while putting your neck on the line as well as others. They slowly increase the amount of information, the complicated systems & piloting skills needed to fly in real life & if they mess up they put others as well as themselves at risk & can destroy millions of dollars worth of equipment etc. So they learn procedures, piloting skills like navigation, communication, emergency procedures and slowly increase this as they get checked off. It’s understandable why they do this. But in DCS we don’t have to do these things since it’s just a game/ simulator & a really good one. I would suggest downloading Chucks Guide for whatever airframe you decide on and read it as well as the manual. The guides he makes are top notch & have step by step instructions from starting the aircraft to weapons deployment, really great stuff! I use them alll the time! Hope this helped a little bit & let us know what aircraft you decide to purchase, there’s a ton of people here that can help you along your way. YouTube also has tons of tutorials that can help. Most of all, just have Fun!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ebphoto said:

I know some people that play DCS like to go all out & do a military type of approach flying trainers first & getting checked off etc., that said, I don’t agree with this approach at least for me. I think It ruins the fun! I served in the USCG & don’t want to “serve” again in a game! To me that just ruins the fun factor! I’m a private pilot as well so I understand navigation & a lot of concepts that can apply in the game. I think if you want to purchase a full module you should & skip the trainers! You might as well learn the aircraft your going to fly in the game. Learning the ins & outs in a trainer would be time you could’ve spent learning the F18 or whatever jet you want to purchase. There are some really good Free mods available like the A4 that are pretty complex to learn that you might consider with fully clickable cockpits! Just have fun, that’s what it’s all about in my opinion! Sure there’s complicated systems you will need to get the hang of and learn but that’s what makes it fun. Learning things in a trainer while what you really want is to learn the F16 or whatever airframe you have in your sights would ruin some of the fun I think. So pick out whatever aircraft you like & just go for it & enjoy yourself! In the long run we aren’t putting our lives on the line, we’re not going to fly the real thing, feel G forces or anything that real fighter pilots will do, so the trainer isn’t necessary. In real life they do this because it’s a extremely complicated & your going to fly a multimillion dollar aircraft while putting your neck on the line as well as others. They slowly increase the amount of information, the complicated systems & piloting skills needed to fly in real life & if they mess up they put others as well as themselves at risk & can destroy millions of dollars worth of equipment etc. So they learn procedures, piloting skills like navigation, communication, emergency procedures and slowly increase this as they get checked off. It’s understandable why they do this. But in DCS we don’t have to do these things since it’s just a game/ simulator & a really good one. I would suggest downloading Chucks Guide for whatever airframe you decide on and read it as well as the manual. The guides he makes are top notch & have step by step instructions from starting the aircraft to weapons deployment, really great stuff! I use them alll the time! Hope this helped a little bit & let us know what aircraft you decide to purchase, there’s a ton of people here that can help you along your way. YouTube also has tons of tutorials that can help. Most of all, just have Fun!

Cheers man, yeah, I've got that sky hawk now and I think it looks like a fun plane to learn and fly. I'll see how I get on with it, and eventually will dive into a multi role and probably will focus on just one air frame. However I don't know yet, which modern jet to focus on. As I don't lean to a particular aircraft just yet..It might be typhoon, as I mentioned earlier in thread...But it may be still years to wait for it..:/

• Like 3

Another thing to consider is that both the L-39 and F-5 are now quite dated, don't look as good as the newer modules and receive next to no attention from the devs. I can only recommend them to people who are interested in that specific airframe. In terms of gameplay options, visual fidelity, availability of supporting content and chances of having the remaining bugs squashed there is simply no comparison. 

• Like 2

I was wondering if anyone has the same issue with setting waypoints manually in the skyhawk? It seems I can't input anything for D2, just D1, and I can adjust it if the knob is set to STBY. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. Yeah, I can't figure it out, D2 just shows my present position and I can't edit it in anyway..

Edited by nikita_nomad

40 minutes ago, nikita_nomad said:

It seems I can't input anything for D2, just D1, and I can adjust it if the knob is set to STBY. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong.

It is strange .. on my DCS I can adjust both D1 and D2, here is a video a recorded a while ago, where I use the Navigation computer of the A-4, check it out to confirm if you are doing the same steps:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

11 minutes ago, nikita_nomad said:

Yeah, it's very strange

Perhaps you might want to ask about this issue on the A-4E Discord: https://discord.gg/tdBNuFHr  there the developers might be able to check your issue.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

On 12/14/2021 at 7:30 AM, Mr. Big.Biggs said:

You don’t need a trainer. Why learn a bunch of systems only to move on and start from scratch? These are not real planes, no need to work your way up. 
There isn’t a plane or copter in the bunch that you can’t just jump in and fly by the seat of your pants with auto start or in the air start.  
pick your favorite and jump in. THEN learn the systems at your own pace. If you crash, hit reset and start again.  Since your life isn’t at risk, there is no danger in just jumping in and getting started. 

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Very much This

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

1 hour ago, =36=Witcher said:

why did no one mention the Mirage 2000 with all the excellent work RAZBAM is doing on it in the last few months?

The T-45C and the A-4E have the advantage of being zero cost, and are also considerably less complex to fly, so they fit the "introductory aircraft" role better. 

• Like 1