2.7 optimization for helicopters needed!

gdotts

Every optimization discussion ever done before today deals exclusively from the perspective of PLANES and their views and FPS, thousands of feet in the sky.  With the upcomming AH-64D Apache comming soon, we have never ever discussed the optimization for this new theater of play that will effect DCS.... "The 300 feet and below theater".  The same rules I would think, MAY NOT APPLY, with trees and buildings as now a major focus of the Helicopters equasion in this new lower perspective theater that the AH-64D Apache now finds itself in.  It's now the ground being close up, no longer 5 thousand feet away.... now the clouds are thousands of feet away as the polar opposite. Realistically most of the global DSC Global settings won't change much but some will.  Please excuse this discussion as it may not be in the right area but none the less it is where it started.  Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Umm...  No.

I'm not quite sure how to respond to this so I'll just mention that there are indeed other helicopters in this game AND...  one of them was actually the FIRST aircraft in the game...

• Like 4

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Fair response,true... I have all the helicopters to date and apache is the last at this point.  Just got carried away with Apache.  That being said the tree slider and preload slider may be the only ones to a short optimization, maybe more. I don't know!

Fair is the amount of optimizations that need to be made for DCS helicopters.

That includes as I already suggested, higher res (heightmap)/ smaller maps made purposefully for helicopter simulation, but also AI improvements, combined arms revival and a different, more focused usage of resources.

There is an enormous difference between fighting from 15.000ft and 15ft and it goes far beyond only graphics.

Edited by stormrider
  • Like 2

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

On 12/15/2021 at 1:17 AM, gdotts said:

That being said the tree slider and preload slider may be the only ones to a short optimization, maybe more. I don't know!

all they will do is give you an island of trees and increase your load times respectively. 

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

You could bring the terrain distance in by setting from high to Medium or even a low setting. As you are closer to the ground you probably wont need the 40+miles higher terrain details like you would in a jet.

you could probably gain a fair few FPS from this setting alone. This will be the first thing i mess with when i get it if i hit performance issues.

• Like 2

I appreciate the dialouge guys, thanks for your help!!  Keep your tidd bits of information comming in.  I am definitely taking note on your comments and hopefully can take advantage of your suggestions. My goal is to tailor make a better customization plan in DCS adding FPS where I can, flying low!

15 hours ago, RuskyV said:

You could bring the terrain distance in by setting from high to Medium or even a low setting. As you are closer to the ground you probably wont need the 40+miles higher terrain details like you would in a jet.

you could probably gain a fair few FPS from this setting alone. This will be the first thing i mess with when i get it if i hit performance issues.

9 minutes ago, gdotts said:

I appreciate the dialouge guys, thanks for your help!!  Keep your tidd bits of information comming in.  I am definitely taking note on your comments and hopefully can take advantage of your suggestions. My goal is to tailor make a better customization plan in DCS adding FPS where I can, flying low!

Visbility is noticable even low, especially on flatter terrain HOWEVER you tend to be alot more focussed on the immediate surroundings and the impact is certainly nowhere near what a jet player may experience. In the recent patches some of those higher settings got changed making them a little more taxing too. Selecting High seems a nice sweet spot although medium isnt awful. 

Given the role of the Apache, lowering your water quality may be an ooption too. Even Low doesnt look too bad for rivers and steeams since 2.7.7 although if you indended to use boats, medium is probably the minimum acceptable. 

I think you can claw some fps out of the clouds but it isnt much (maybe 5 fps from low to ultra) and culling the heat blur to low (again 1 or 2 fps max) . The biggest impact is going to be flat over default terrain shadows but thats a preference choice especially at low level. Some prefer the flat, some dont. I think both are pretty awful so I tend to fly in full overcast whereever I can. Taz1004's tree mod is a nice addition too. The dark versions look great in overcast

You can also gain FPS or increase the graphical quality of the shadows around you without a big hit  if you choose to alter the shadows.lua file. This is a very specific thing to keeping down in the weeds though but you can OvGME it.  

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

15 hours ago, RuskyV said:

This is in the end a needless fighting of symptoms and it will only improve performance to a very small, not much noticeable extend. The solution is on ED's side ... 🙂

• Like 1

System Components

Power supply: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W 80Plus Platinum <> Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix X570-E Gaming  <> Processor: Ryzen 5 5600x <> Cooler: DeepCool Gammaxx C40 <> RAM: 2x16GB HyperX Predator 3600Mhz <> SSD: 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe M.2 (Raid 0) <> HD: 2TB Seagate BarraCuda <> Graphics card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti 11G Gaming <> Head tracking: TrackIR4 Pro <> dunTrackR <> Monitors: Philips bdm4065uc 40" 4K 3840x2160  (Camera) <> 2x IBM 15" 1024x768 (LMFCD & RMFCD)

Cockpit: self-construction <> Controls: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog (extension for cyclic & collective control) <> Thrustmaster Rudder Control System <> Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium <> Logitech Z-560 THX Sound System

"...Runways are for beauty queens!"

4 hours ago, Flagrum said:

I might be missing something here, but what has this discussion to do with Controller Profiles?

Literally nothing. Surprised it hasn't been moved yet.

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

Since AH-64D ONLY has two catagories offered to make forum talk on and this sim so close to comming out.  I appogized for placing an optimization topic on controllers & profiles.  The ONLY other category left is wishlist.  The only thing really missing is the idea that DCS needs to open up the forum alot to accomodate more than just two categories!....  Agreed??  With Waggs thankfully offering up tons of information we need an avenue to forum many questions about. Merry Christmas to all!!!

• 2 months later...

A person needs to take into account that everyone runs on a different system. When it comes right down to it, YOU the user are responsible for your OWN optimization. By that I mean your are limited by a host of factors on your end rather than the developers programing. Your CPU, GPU and RAM will always dictate what you can and can not do.

If you are biting off more than your PC can chew then it is up to YOU to scale things back. Mission editing and latency also play a role. And latency can be a real killer if your high ping. 

• Like 1

"Now how do I land this thing?" *Sound of pages turning*