Steepoint not exactly above the ground target

A.F.

Hi,
when I click with the mouse on a ground target in the ME, an info window appears with the coordinates.

When I then enter these coordinates in the Viper in flight, the ground targets are about a mile next to the steerpointj. 

I have checked the coordinates three times to make sure they are correct.

What am I doing wrong 

Maybe not aligned properly,

or you moved your TGP before you entered your coords, when you move TGP it creates offset to all steerpoints, so if you creadted new steerpoint and just switched to it, it may have that offset applied,you should cursor zero TGP before, 

When you create new STPT you should cycle up and down to so the system registeres new STPT,

Just a few options,

Best if you can post a short track, we can see exactly whats up

3 hours ago, flusim3 said:

Hi,
when I click with the mouse on a ground target in the ME, an info window appears with the coordinates.

When I then enter these coordinates in the Viper in flight, the ground targets are about a mile next to the steerpointj. 

I have checked the coordinates three times to make sure they are correct.

What am I doing wrong 

Coordinates, ok but do you set the elevation?

You're probably entering degree/min/sec cordinates while the jet uses degree/min/decimal min format.

Left Alt + Y to change formats in the F10 map screen. The correct formt should have a decimal point not a ' before the last set of digits.

Thanks to all of you!
I enter the following coordinates (- but only as an example)...:
N 41.56.017 / E 042.32.016 / High 18ft.

Would this be the correct notation?

In the F16 I don't have to/can't put dots between the numbers when entering them.

Edited by flusim3
  • Like 1

Many users are sloppy when it comes to notation for angles. This makes confusion between formats too common. Angles are always expressed as the numerical portion of a type followed by the identifying symbol of the type. This process is repeated for the next smallest type to be used. Only the smallest type can have decimal component.

• 14.555555° There is only degrees type, followed by ° (degree) symbol, and since there is only one type it can have decimal part. "Fourteen point five five...degrees."
  • 14°33.3333' There are 14 of the degrees type followed by ° symbol followed by 33.33 of minutes type followed by ' (minutes) symbol. "Fourteen degrees, thirty-three point three three three three minutes."
  • 14°33'19.998'' There are 14  then ° (degrees) then 33  then ' (minutes) then 19.998 then '' (seconds). "Fourteen degrees, thirty-three minutes, and nineteen point nine nine eight seconds."
  • The three examples are all exactly the same angle expressed in different formats.

Dots, dashes, spaces, other symbols, repeated symbols, out of order symbols are all non-standard and risk being ambiguous and misinterpreted. N 41.56.017 is such a case. Does it mean N41.5617° or N41°56'17'' or N41°56.017'? The extra zero suggests the latter but who can be sure?

For F-16 you never enter any data except N E S W and digits 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9. The symbols, format, and place values are fixed by the system. That format is: a xx° yy.yyy'  or b xxx° yy.yyy' where is a is north/south, b is east/west, xx is between 00 and 90, xxx is between 000 and 180, yy.yyy is between 00.000 and 59.999. Not that longitudes of less than 100° are expressed as three digits so 1° is 001°. Latitudes always are entered as 7 digits and longitudes as 8 digits. Negative-possible values (like elevation) are preceded by a 0 ICP press to indicate a negative sign.

Edited by Frederf
  • Thanks 3

Am 15.12.2021 um 12:42 schrieb Py:

You're probably entering degree/min/sec cordinates while the jet uses degree/min/decimal min format.

Left Alt + Y to change formats in the F10 map screen. The correct formt should have a decimal point not a ' before the last set of digits.

I have it!
As you wrote, I had the wrong format.
Thanks for the help!

Edited by flusim3