EXP3 radar sweep speed and updates are unstable.

Rissala

Hornet has the following issues with the EXP3 SAR map scanning and the update process when designating.

Issues:

- When using EXP3, the scan speed (angular vel.) is heavily dependent on roll for some reason.
- It is possible to completely halt or slow the scan significantly when rolling a few degrees to some direction.

Rolling should not affect the scan speed since the radar is gimballed and always facing the intended scan area. (ground stabilised)

- When designating a new spot with the EXP3, the system for some reason still attempts to complete the previous frame, which when combined with the slowdown issue above results in extremely slow designations and general use.

This should also not happen as described by @IvanK, who seems to have some IRL experience on this system:

kuva.png
Both issues are demonstrated in the track attached.

Could be related to the previous issues with movement here:

Hornet A-G radar scan speed and update.trk

Edited by Rissala

• ED Team

Please for future reports only post one issue per report. I will speak to the team, but do you have any evidence to back up the claims. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

The part where rolling affects the radar seems to affect the A/A Radar as well.

It would likely be quite difficult to find specific evidence that says the radar doesn't get degraded by rolling.

The F/A-18C pilot I know has said the radar should not be affected by rolling, if that helps at all. It's particularly silly for A/A, during a re-attack, or even a CRANK, you can lose radar SA with the DCS modeling causing roll to degrade the radar.

(Not entirely sure if it's specifically roll, I've just noticed loss of radar SA during cranks/re-attacks, it may have something to do with G, I just tested now and was able to reproduce it, but I am unsure what exactly is causing it)

Edited by MARLAN_
  • Like 1

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

The RADAR is horizon stabilised in all modes but ACM (apart from WACQ), and the radome has a circular cross-section, what evidence is there to suggest that roll would have any effect on it?

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 3

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

11 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

The RADAR is horizon stabilised in all modes but ACM (apart from WACQ), and the radome has a circular cross-section, what evidence is there to suggest that roll would have any effect on it?

What are limitations of stabilization system?

• Like 1

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

14 minutes ago, =4c=Nikola said:

What are limitations of stabilization system?

I don't know the rates but fairly sure it manages full 360°

Though not sure what that has to do with the OP's issues.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

13 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Please for future reports only post one issue per report. I will speak to the team, but do you have any evidence to back up the claims. 

thanks

I did post some evidence for the second issue.
This evidence is from @IvanK and from this thread👇 page 2. He seems to have some IRL experience on this sensor. In addition to his statement, it does not make sense to still attempt to scan the old frame after a designation. It should begin scanning centered on the new frame to save time and give the pilot a more usable system. I can't see the logic behind the current designation where the radar is still scanning the old frame.

For the first issue, it makes no sense that the sweep speed is affected by some modest changes in roll since the radar is gimballed and always faces the scan area anyways. This issue does not happen with the F-16. (should not happen with Hornet either)

As a logical example, you can still scan for aerial targets even when you are inverted, as long as your enemies are within gimbal limits. So I'd like to see the evidence (or just hear from you) that says radar scan speed is affected by roll for some reason.

Still, thanks BN for notifying the team 👍

12 hours ago, MARLAN_ said:

The part where rolling affects the radar seems to affect the A/A Radar as well.

It would likely be quite difficult to find specific evidence that says the radar doesn't get degraded by rolling.

The F/A-18C pilot I know has said the radar should not be affected by rolling, if that helps at all. It's particularly silly for A/A, during a re-attack, or even a CRANK, you can lose radar SA with the DCS modeling causing roll to degrade the radar.

(Not entirely sure if it's specifically roll, I've just noticed loss of radar SA during cranks/re-attacks, it may have something to do with G, I just tested now and was able to reproduce it, but I am unsure what exactly is causing it)

You are kinda on the right track but if you use the EL/AZ page often you will see the issue. Sometimes when rolling many times over at a fast pace, the radar is just not fast enough to follow the target. This as far as I know is intended behaviour. I have not seen any reduction in scan speed when rolling or moving violently.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

I don't know the rates but fairly sure it manages full 360°

Though not sure what that has to do with the OP's issues.

Yeah the radar is on a gimbal, so I don't see why rolling slightly should change the scan speed on EXP3. This is why it is related to the issue.

Edit: The reason why I say "slightly" (10-15 degrees) is because violent rolling can definetly halt the scan.

Edited by Rissala

1 hour ago, Rissala said:

I did post some evidence for the second issue.
This evidence is from @IvanK and from this thread👇 page 2. He seems to have some IRL experience on this sensor. In addition to his statement, it does not make sense to still attempt to scan the old frame after a designation. It should begin scanning centered on the new frame to save time and give the pilot a more usable system. I can't see the logic behind the current designation where the radar is still scanning the old frame.

For the first issue, it makes no sense that the sweep speed is affected by some modest changes in roll since the radar is gimballed and always faces the scan area anyways. This issue does not happen with the F-16. (should not happen with Hornet either)

As a logical example, you can still scan for aerial targets even when you are inverted, as long as your enemies are within gimbal limits. So I'd like to see the evidence (or just hear from you) that says radar scan speed is affected by roll for some reason.

Still, thanks BN for notifying the team 👍

You are kinda on the right track but if you use the EL/AZ page often you will see the issue. Sometimes when rolling many times over at a fast pace, the radar is just not fast enough to follow the target. This as far as I know is intended behaviour. I have not seen any reduction in scan speed when rolling or moving violently.

The radar in DCS moves ~30 degrees per second (you can time this) which should mean any turn you do wouldn't affect the radar, it seems to be lagging behind more than it should be as far as I can tell.

Roll itself though, should have no effect on the radar.

• Like 1

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

31 minutes ago, MARLAN_ said:

The radar in DCS moves ~30 degrees per second (you can time this) which should mean any turn you do wouldn't affect the radar, it seems to be lagging behind more than it should be as far as I can tell.

Roll itself though, should have no effect on the radar.

Please post your own topic about this issue. Thanks.

13 minutes ago, Rissala said:

Please post your own topic about this issue. Thanks.

I brought it up because it sounds like they are issues possibly caused by the same problem 👍

• Like 1

1A100.png?format=1500w