Target Practice Rounds?

II.JG1_Vonrd

There's an option to choose "Target Practice" as a gun ammo loadout. My squad was doing some training on our server and we were thinking that they were probably non-lethal rounds. Nope... if anything they are the most deadly. Immediate flamers. Does anyone know what the "Target Practice" rounds are for and what Luftwaffe ammo type they are supposed to be?

Non-lethal rounds? Is there something like this at all, anything projected from those guns and cannons, with similar trajectory will be lethal.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Sounds something like Beobachtung Patrone - explosive observation rounds.  Used for range finding and zero-ing MGs. Incendary detonating on impact to better observe you are hitting what you think you are aiming at. As far from a paintball as you could possibly get. 

About 9.30 onwards, 15.00 for effect of a similar Russian roound on steel.   - although this more like "Mythbusters" with guns and deals with shooting people with these things - be warned. 

Edited by Boosterdog

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

@Boosterdog still not a good idea to shoot your buddy with those, for me it would make even more devastating effect on plane.

OP is asking for non lethal ammo which would act exactly like live ammo but it would not harm target at all.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

52 minutes ago, grafspee said:

@Boosterdog still not a good idea to shoot your buddy with those, for me it would make even more devastating effect on plane.

OP is asking for non lethal ammo which would act exactly like live ammo but it would not harm target at all.

No hes not - hes asking what the "Target Practice" loadout is. The video demonstates 7.62 B Patrone rounds. Given the effects described I image its something similar (real or otherwise) modelled for the 13 and 20mm. 

EDIT - ie a high percentage of HE or HE -incendiary rounds and lower/no amounts of AP.

Edited by Boosterdog

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

14 minutes ago, Boosterdog said:

No hes not - hes asking what the "Target Practice" loadout is. The video demonstates 7.62 B Patrone rounds. Given the effects described I image its something similar (real or otherwise) modelled for the 13mm. 

I'm not so sure, ground practice shooting is not a problem in dcs, you can spawn as many truck as you want, so i assumed that they want to practice shooting on planes, he said that every load out ends up in flames, which fits situation when plane got burst from 4 20mm cannons.

Nevertheless i could be wrong here 😛

Edited by grafspee

27 minutes ago, grafspee said:

I'm not so sure, ground practice shooting is not a problem in dcs, you can spawn as many truck as you want, so i assumed that they want to practice shooting on planes, he said that every load out ends up in flames, which fits situation when plane got burst from 4 20mm cannons.

Nevertheless i could be wrong here 😛

Either way I thinks one is gonna be better off with the "Takka takka" radio message approach if one want to keep one's friends! - I have never missed using the "takka takka" BTW - never 🙂

Actually I was asking both but more as to what is actually meant by the "Target Practice" nomenclature. I was thinking that it might be some form of frangible round...

"T-44 .30 frangible round. The projectiles were made from a mixture of lead and bakelite, and trainee gunners fired them at specially armored Bell RP-63 Kingcobras. Despite the RP-63's armor, muzzle velocity had to be kept down to 415m/sec, and the recoil-operated Browning .30 M2 guns needed some gas assistance to function. Gunsights and aircraft speeds were chosen to give trainees the correct "feeling" of the .50 that was the standard USAAF armament of the time."

or maybe a Beobachtung round...

B-Geschoß was a Beobachtungs or observation round: It had a small HE charge and some incendiary material, and exploded on contact with the target. In this way the pilot was able to verify that he was hitting the target. During the Battle of Britain, the British used the Dixon-De Wilde round for similar purposes, and pilots generally felt that this was extremely useful.

but we didn't note any marking explosions when the rounds hit. They were HIGHLY lethal though. We felt they were more so than the "normal" ammo mixes of HE, AP, etc.

See this thread:

http://users.telenet.be/Emmanuel.Gustin/fgun/fgun-am.html

In Cliffs of Dover the rounds were given their historical names so you could know exactly what you were loading. I really wish DCS would adopt COD's belt loading and convergence options. It would enhance what is the most realistic sim currently available.

Edited by II.JG1_Vonrd

It looks like there are other modules that use the "Target Practice" nomenclature... it's just confusing...

Personally, I wish ED would just name the actual round and the type of ammunition it is, it would make things so much easier, and this absolutely goes for CA too.

Going down the list it's as follows (at least AFAIK):

• HEI-T High Explosive Incediary-Tracer: M242 HEI-T
  • HEI - High Explosive Incediary: M56 HEI (M56A3? A4? no idea)
  • AP Armour Piercing: M53 (though this is an API round, again - why ED should just name the round)
  • TP - Target Practice Tracer: M220 TP-T
  • SAPHEI High Explosive Armour Piercing PGU - PGU-28 (A/B?) SAPHEI
  • TP - Target Practice Tracer PGU: PGU-30 (A/B?) TP-T

Here's the thread that a search brought up (and there are similar others)...