AGM-65L

Caldera

50 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Eric,

Hi!

This weapon can be and most often is very accurate.  I find that to be so, the laser must stay on and be on target (or very close) the entire time the missile is in flight.

The laser, as I described above, was timing out no more than about 3 seconds before impact.  And..  Those shots were clear misses.  But, they were also fired at near the maximum range of the missile.  If I fire at reduced ranges then the laser seems to not time out.  The stupid part seemed that if I fired two missiles in salvo, with the first at maximum range, then both missiles would miss.

The most common pitfalls for me are:

• Masking
  • Time out

Try flying straight and level at the target until you can get 99.99% accuracy.  I am glad you became interested in learning how to use the AGM-65L.

Caldera

Yeah like I said, I only fired it once after watching the mission to use it. It's easier to shoot than the D so I hope to get more proficient over time. I don't fly much but when I do I practice shooting weapons on a custom map that I use to do such stuff. But that's good stuff to know. I don't remember the range I shot the first one but I think I was within the middle to short range for the shot but thanks for things to keep in mind in using it.

Edited by EricJ

LOMAC Section| | Gaming Resume (PDF) | Gallery | Flanker2.51 Storage Site |

Also known as Flanker562 back in the day...

Steam ID EricJ562 | DCS: A-10A/C Pilot | DCS: Su-25T Pilot | Texture Artist

"...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers

I don't have a track made but I am having  the same issue you're having Caldera. I fire at long range and before it hits the laser goes out and I don't even hit the target. I would expect it to hit given that the laser doesn't overheat but still.  Even turning on the laser doesn't present a hit though. Methinks it's bugged but it could be range too. I only shot two earlier today during  my flight and missed with both. I don't know why they should miss as they should be easier to use than the D or other models as you have to get the TGP on target well.

"...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers

As far as I'm aware, it's a known issue that the laser tends to shut itself off shortly after the calculated time of impact. Unfortunately, the missile usually takes a little longer than calculated, and so the last few seconds of guidance are often missing. Checking the HUD or the TGP for the flashing "L" should confirm this.

The only workaround that I know of is to set the laser to LATCH OFF in the TGP and keep the NWS button depressed all the way until impact, because without LATCH, the laser won't shut off on its own.

• Like 1

You mean I have to work for a kill? Gotcha though😀

23 hours ago, Yurgon said:

As far as I'm aware, it's a known issue that the laser tends to shut itself off shortly after the calculated time of impact.

It's been a known issue since the module came out, which is over 18 months ago, I think. I can't imagine that this would be that hard to fix.