2022 DCS Newsletter Discussion - Week 1 & Week 2 (no newsletters)

NineLine

• ED Team
4 minutes ago, J.C.Wolf said:

So will there be a newsletter next week?

Next newsletter will be on the 14th

5 minutes ago, J.C.Wolf said:

And what is the point of this weeks' threat then?

It has given you the opportunity to ask questions and for us to answer them about the newsletter 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

13 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

It has given you the opportunity to ask questions and for us to answer them about the newsletter 🙂

Alright, here's a question for ya: Are there any plans to expand the tools and kit available to insurgents (as in, like boats, technicals, etc)? And, are there any plans to add additional infantry types (such as AT troops), and add additional versions of some existing units (ex the T55 and its many variants through the decades)? I ask these, because with the heavy focus on helos, I do think it would be nice to see some of these things addressed (with screenshots if possible) as we'll be flying much closer to some of these things very soon.

• Like 2

As much as I understand your decision there won‘t be a roadmap this year (even if I am still very disappointed about it) but please make the Newsletter more informativ about features or projects you are working on. I am sure there is more stuff worth to tell about it Really looking forward to hear or read more about:

- Dynamic Weather
- Afghanistan Map
- F-15E Strike Eagle
- South Atlantic Map (just looks awesome)
- Improved ATC and Radio
- Improved FLIR
- Vulkan
- Dynamic Campaign
- Super Carrier (Ready Room, taxi guidance of Deckcrew)
- MAC (Modern Air Combat)
- Improved AAR physics

One last thing I really want to know: Are there any plans in the pipeline for a groundcrew for landbases as well?

• Like 8

Hello

Thanks for asking us.  I am of the same opinion as many here that all the modules are great, but the most pressing improvements are the general ones:

-Optimization of the engine and especially for VR (VR is the best thing that could happen to military simulation but our engine is way behind in the technology and therefore has pretty bad performance... I run it with an i9 and RTX3090 and it does not look particularly great...  of course the gained immersion is why I do it...)

-Weather, in all aspects including with evolution over time and space (and perhaps its effects implemented in how our sensors and aircraft are impacted by it...)  Planes fly in the sky and weather is what makes the sky so unpredictable, rich and beautiful or difficult...

-ATC, COMMS and procedures in general (the same way that is initiated with the supercarrier comms)  Every flight starts with a taxi, a takeoff, a return, a pattern, a landing and a taxi.... Proper ATC would boost the immersion big time (hopefully including interaction with the other aircraft around, hearing the controllers talk to the other aircraft, etc).

-Dynamic engine of course... (this is THE most important thing that we are waiting for, because otherwise, DCS remains a very beautiful sterile sandbox...), and perhaps even some other mission generation tools that could be simpler than a whole Dynamic campaign engine but certainly better than the present mission generator...

-these will benefit ANY module...

Edited by JEFX
  • Like 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

Lasts year's Roadmap raised too many expectations which 2021 spent its time dashing.  Major stuff like the engine recode, anticipated stuff like te SC development and a lot of minor but much looked forward too stuff like the improved AI models not only didnt happen as mapped but were never really spoken of again (save for a general update on the recode in Oct- its predicted roll out date).  Not producing more of the same is an understandale and sensible move.

However, all those Elephants are still running about in the room. So, personally, Id like to see a more concerted effort to assure us they are still coming and still on some form of track at least in 2022's Newletters and not just more Apachie, Apa(Viper)chie, Apachie, Sale. 

Edited by Boosterdog

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

2 hours ago, J.C.Wolf said:

Hi happy new year.

Could somebody please clarify?

"Our next newsletter will be on the 14th of January 2022" @BIGNEWY said. But there is also @NineLine "Next week though, with the team still off, there will be no newsletter or thread".

So will there be a newsletter next week?

"Anyways this will be the format for the Newsletter discussion threads going forward this one will close and another will open the following week"

And what is the point of this weeks' threat then?

Thanks!

I think Nineline is saying there is no newsletter this week but there will be one "next week though".

• Like 1

Multi-core performance improvements will certainly be welcome but I don't use VR and have a machine powerful enough to be very satisfied with the current state of performance. New modules are what interest me the most. Anxious for the AH-64D, F-15E, and a couple of the older birds, A-7 and F-4.

3 hours ago, Tank50us said:

Alright, here's a question for ya: Are there any plans to expand the tools and kit available to insurgents (as in, like boats, technicals, etc)? And, are there any plans to add additional infantry types (such as AT troops), and add additional versions of some existing units (ex the T55 and its many variants through the decades)? I ask these, because with the heavy focus on helos, I do think it would be nice to see some of these things addressed (with screenshots if possible) as we'll be flying much closer to some of these things very soon.

Technicals was show on the 2022 and beyond video.

Edited by Silver_Dragon
  • Like 1

In my previous comment I said that the 1st and 2nd priorities are Vulkan+Multicore.

I have to correct myself upon reading this whole thread.

+++THE+++ number 1 priority is:

Honest, clear, frequent and somehow detailed communication about ANY progress status of the development regardless if it's core or module related.

If we can have this, then we'll surely wait for the others...

Edited by St4rgun
  • Like 6
  • PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

18 minutes ago, St4rgun said:

This..... I have to agree with. If there's anything that will create a loyal base, it's an honest dev team. Now, granted, ED's been pretty honest with us so far, but I'd like to see that continue. Maybe ED could do 3 minor news letters per month, which just tell us how modules are coming along and what to expect in the near future, and one big newsletter that gives us a greater scope to what's going on behind the scenes. This way, we have an idea of what's being worked on, show some model WIP images here and there, things of that nature. It would probably be a good way to gauge interest in certain things, letting the devs know if what they're working on, is something we the players are actually interested in, and thus, where to focus resources. After all, if they reveal a 3d model of.... I dunno... a T-14 Armata or A7V, and the player base is 'meh', but are practically foaming at the mouth at the sight of an M551 Sheridan in Jungle kit, then ED would know "Yup, they want the 60s". I'd certainly be down for one big newsletter per month.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, St4rgun said:

In my previous comment I said that the 1st and 2nd priorities are Vulkan+Multicore.

I have to correct myself upon reading this whole thread.

+++THE+++ number 1 priority is:

Honest, clear, frequent and somehow detailed communication about ANY progress status of the development regardless if it's core or module related.

I will happily take stuff when it comes rather than fret about knowing the minutiae of their working life. Over the years I have followed a number of games/sim developers and the community in every case has wished for greater, more transparent communication about developments. Unfortunately elements of every community I have witnessed will micro analyse every word and take every projected release or extrapolate a progress update to determine a likely release as promises which then get broken and the sky falls. Or get cross because the team doesn't appear to be working on their specific priority.

I think ED does pretty well and has significantly more community interaction than other developers I have experienced. More regular and granular two way engagement between enthusiasts and developers is a dream but probably only really possible in closed groups IMHO.

• Like 7

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

1 hour ago, Tank50us said:

This..... I have to agree with. If there's anything that will create a loyal base, it's an honest dev team. Now, granted, ED's been pretty honest with us so far, but I'd like to see that continue. Maybe ED could do 3 minor news letters per month, which just tell us how modules are coming along and what to expect in the near future, and one big newsletter that gives us a greater scope to what's going on behind the scenes. This way, we have an idea of what's being worked on, show some model WIP images here and there, things of that nature. It would probably be a good way to gauge interest in certain things, letting the devs know if what they're working on, is something we the players are actually interested in, and thus, where to focus resources. After all, if they reveal a 3d model of.... I dunno... a T-14 Armata or A7V, and the player base is 'meh', but are practically foaming at the mouth at the sight of an M551 Sheridan in Jungle kit, then ED would know "Yup, they want the 60s". I'd certainly be down for one big newsletter per month.

About AI 3D models, ED was clear on 2021 Roadmap. Your plans has no complete yet.

AI Units

New and Updated assets

Because DCS World is built on a project spanning almost two decades, some units now show their age and will be updated throughout the year. It is also important that we add new units to better fill the battlefields. Here are some of the items that we intend to create or update in 2021:

Large Aircraft: B-52H, Tu-95MS, Tu-142, B-1B, IL-38, and Tu-160

Carrier Aircraft: S-3B and SH-60B

Ground Units: M1A2, AMX-56 Leclerc, Wespe Sd.Kfz.124, KS-19 100mm ADA, Son-4 “Flap Wheel” radar, C1 Ariete, Pantsir SA-22 “Greyhound”, and S-300/SA-10 “Grumble”.

Add to them, continue update the legacy AI 3D models on DCS. The only "obscure" point, has been what new AI 3D modles has working ED to WW2.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

I'm pretty happy with no roadmap . I unironically enjoy a certain degree of opacity 

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

It is clear that ED and its partners have done a great job in 2021 and once again we have had some new and very interesting things that have continued to improve our favourite simulator.
We know that the implementation of Vulkan will take time and is not something that can be achieved quickly. However, there are other points that deserve some clarification:

The development of the Mi-24.
Since its release there have been some improvements, bug fixes and module additions such as Atakas. However, it seems to me that since the last few months, the improvements are minimal and that the module does not receive the attention it should. Some buttons in the cockpit are still not activable and programmable, there is still no manual, some weapons are still missing, Petrovitch still doesn't speak. One gets the impression that Alexander's team worked very hard to get the module out, but that since then it seems to lack the resources to really give the Hind the improvements it deserves.

The improvement of the old Air and Ground assets.
Despite the 2021 roadmap regarding the improvement of some "old" aircraft and vehicles for 2021 we haven't seen much during the year.
What is the status of the announced SA-22 Pantsir?
Many vehicles also deserve to be renewed in terms of textures.
For fans of the next Apache I think it would be appropriate to give a real boost to some ground assets that are now from another time.
I personally would have liked to see this kind of thing instead of a ZIL-135 which in the end is of limited interest.
Some tanks, armoured vehicles and command vehicles (URAL C2 for example) need improvements to reach the same standard as the magnificent T-72B3 or BTR-82A.

Best regards and once again Happy New Year to all the members of the ED teams

Edited by Razorback
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Baldrick33 said:

I will happily take stuff when it comes rather than fret about knowing the minutiae of their working life.

The truth is, the average people don''t want to know all the tiny details daily basis. But having some information (even "bad news" in time) is neccessary to get the community engaged. I'm sure that ED could find the way inbetween.

Check this out: https://www.psychologyofgames.com/2019/10/loading-when-were-willing-to-wait/

Edited by St4rgun
  • Like 1
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

1 hour ago, Razorback said:

The development of the Mi-24.
Since its release there have been some improvements, bug fixes and module additions such as Atakas. However, it seems to me that since the last few months, the improvements are minimal and that the module does not receive the attention it should.

This is my concern with Early Access.  To me Early Access should be we pay full price for the product and we are provided with an early version of the product, with the funds generated from the Early Access sales used to fund the timely remainder of product development.

However from my observation what seems to happen is we are provided with a minimum viable product, most of the development resources are then pulled off the project to begin development of the next EA product which is funded by the EA sales of the product we have purchased. A skeleton development team is left to work on the product we paid for and updates are slowly trickled out.  Rinse and repeat.

In your example the Hind developers were seemingly pulled off to work on the Apache EA development.  I believe we have seen the same thing with the Hornet and Viper development with the Hornet maybe nearing EA exit nearly 4 years after release of the initial EA version.  To me this is not the way Early Access should work and is why I have decided to no longer support this approach.

• Like 4

On 1/8/2022 at 8:23 AM, Razorback said:

The improvement of the old Air and Ground assets.
Despite the 2021 roadmap regarding the improvement of some "old" aircraft and vehicles for 2021 we haven't seen much during the year.
What is the status of the announced SA-22 Pantsir?
Many vehicles also deserve to be renewed in terms of textures.
For fans of the next Apache I think it would be appropriate to give a real boost to some ground assets that are now from another time.
I personally would have liked to see this kind of thing instead of a ZIL-135 which in the end is of limited interest.
Some tanks, armoured vehicles and command vehicles (URAL C2 for example) need improvements to reach the same standard as the magnificent T-72B3 or BTR-82A.

Rebuild AI assets to actual standars take time a great quantity of time, with a new vehicle can be a x100 / x1000 more detail, resolution and animations compared with the oldest. Actually ED and 3rd parties dont talk about status of new assests, only near to a release.

Edited by Silver_Dragon
  • Thanks 1

AI BEHAVIOR IN GENERAL

Perhaps the ONE most important thing for me and I am sure for a majority of us who fly more SP is the AI problems...  I fly SP for many reasons I dont need to explain in details (mostly work, schedule, RL obligations and travels..).  In SP, DCS feels very lonely and an improved interaction with the AI (this is like ATC by the way) would help the feeling of team work... for now wingmen are useless... It would be great to have not only better AI behavior but more communication channels (with better ATC, ground assets, of course supercarrier that we already have, JTAC, better AWACS, more voices, more wingmen voices, etc.) but top priority: AI behavior.... pleeeease...

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

5 hours ago, Hawks5 said:

This is my concern with Early Access.  To me Early Access should be we pay full price for the product and we are provided with an early version of the product, with the funds generated from the Early Access sales used to fund the timely remainder of product development.

However from my observation what seems to happen is we are provided with a minimum viable product, most of the development resources are then pulled off the project to begin development of the next EA product which is funded by the EA sales of the product we have purchased. A skeleton development team is left to work on the product we paid for and updates are slowly trickled out.  Rinse and repeat.

In your example the Hind developers were seemingly pulled off to work on the Apache EA development.  I believe we have seen the same thing with the Hornet and Viper development with the Hornet maybe nearing EA exit nearly 4 years after release of the initial EA version.  To me this is not the way Early Access should work and is why I have decided to no longer support this approach.

This is my very reason to stop paying in pre-orders. Hind was the last one for me to pre-purchase just to see the "not-so-optimized" performance in VR when released. Fortunately ED introduced the two weeks trial method, which I will follow with Apache also. I'd rather pay full price when Apache actually releases after checking it out on my system than pay 70% but after that the module will be unusable for me.

• Like 2

On 1/6/2022 at 4:04 PM, BIGNEWY said:

We are not planning a roadmap this year, we have tasks open already that need to be completed and we will share our progress during the year in our newsletters to keep you all up to date. Our next newsletter will be on the 14th of January 2022.

thanks

Hence you managed to only deliver 10% of last years roadmap I wouldn’t have put much into it anyway ….super carrier updates, dynamic campaign, Vulkan, atc, flir, better ai…yeah where is it? Pretty much only one thing was delivered and that’s clouds. And these only with presets and zero dynamism. Pretty disappointing 2021 for me tbh

Edited by DaWu
  • Like 4

• ED Team
6 hours ago, DaWu said:

Hence you managed to only deliver 10% of last years roadmap I wouldn’t have put much into it anyway ….super carrier updates, dynamic campaign, Vulkan, atc, flir, better ai…yeah where is it? Pretty much only one thing was delivered and that’s clouds. And these only with presets and zero dynamism. Pretty disappointing 2021 for me tbh

Your math does not add up, but I understand the sentiment. As mentioned before and many times we shared our plans in a roadmap last year, any of those tasks not completed will continue into 2022 and we will share progress in our future newsletters. I think it is clear to see for everyone why using a roadmap to share plans can give people the wrong impression and why we will not be using one this year. 

Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

The topics I'm most interested in for `22.

• Vulkan and VR performance improvements
  • Apache and F-15E
  • AI Improvements
  • DCS Combined arms overhaul
  • Electronic warfare module
  • Dynamic campaign
  • Whole World map module
  • Map modding

Edited by stormrider
  • Like 1

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

• ED Team

Some more news for this week, today is the last chance to take advantage of our Winter Sale, which offers up to 50% discount on our most popular modules and campaigns. The Eshop sale will run until the 10th of January 2022 at 15:00 GMT https://digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/

Thanks for your passion and support

The Eagle Dynamics Team