Ability to use the same button for radio X push-to-talk and radio X comms menu

fisadev

Let's take the radio 1 from the hornet: right now, we can map a button to transmit with it, which opens a menu of comm messages to send with that radio. The new voice feature will also require a mapping to use as push-to-talk with that radio 1, similar to how we have a key mapped in SRS to do that.

Many people (me included) use the same button for both: if I press a certain button in my throttle, it opens the comms menu for that radio (menu on DCS), and if I keep holding it, it transmits voice over that radio (ptt on SRS). That makes sense: that's the "radio 1" button. Any comms via radio 1 are done with that single button, as you would in the real hornet.

If the new voice feature requires a different mapping for the radio 1 compared to the mapping that shows the menu, then we will need 2 buttons for each radio we use, and that's quite problematic. Most throttles won't have enough buttons to duplicate the radio mappings. And even if we have enough buttons, it also makes less sense and is more cumbersome: we would need to use a different "radio X" button depending if we want to talk to humans or to bots.

So please, let us use the same button if we want to 🙂 (not mandatory, because of course there will be people who prefer to use separated mappings).

Edited by fisadev
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

+1 and this is essentially what I requested (at least in part) here.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

As a work around it can be done using something like Joystick Gremlin and a Tempo option.

Short press: Comms Menu

Long press: Push to Talk

They would be seen by DCS as two separate buttons to map.

• Like 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

The trouble with using joystick plug-ins is that the whole point of DCS having built-in comms is to avoid having to use 3rd party software. So now we’re back to that. 😶

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

2 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

The trouble with using joystick plug-ins is that the whole point of DCS having built-in comms is to avoid having to use 3rd party software. So now we’re back to that. 😶

Agreed but at least there is a way around it. Alternatively use the in built modifier but it isn't as elegant a solution. If DCS could allow short and long presses of buttons to input mappings that would be better (clearly it can distinguish between them as it does in the implementation of TMS, DMS etc in the A-10) but that might not be a quick fix.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

On 12/18/2021 at 3:53 AM, Baldrick33 said:

As a work around it can be done using something like Joystick Gremlin and a Tempo option.

Short press: Comms Menu

Long press: Push to Talk

They would be seen by DCS as two separate buttons to map.

That's the way I have it set up with TARGET script, works great.

Sempre Fortis