enbseries HDR mod

crazysundog

Personally, i installed BS using 'run as administrator', but i do not click on shortcut and 'run as administrator', that works fine for me. (I did not install in C:\program files tho, I installed in C:\1C\EagleDynamics.)

@ BTTW-DratsaB; have you right-clicked the shortcut and click 'properties', then select Shortcut--there is an option there to run in windowed or normal...check that first.

yes I think its a combination of UAC, Program files dir and Vista in general. I have it working now, by running everything as administrator (launcher.exe, dcs.exe). To get around the windowed thing I unselect the full screen option box in GFX options!? (don't ask me why this works).

I notice you say that you ran the install as administrator, I never did that. Does that automatically make the program run as admin when it is installed. Another question is, if I run the Launcher.exe as admin does that mean when the launcher runs DCS.exe it will pass down the Admin rights to the file being executed?

This isn't the first game I have had do this; where you run a game as a normal user, set up your options and then if you run the program as Administrator in future you have to reset up all your configurations (keys, gfx, sound etc). But if you run the program as a normal user again it remembers your old settings. Very strange, its like if your running the program as a non admin it saves the game's config file "some where" else. I mean, the games only have one config.ini or whatever in their directory so how does that work? meh I don't know lol, enough of my OT rambling. It works now, so thanks :)

Edited by BTTW-DratsaB

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

I *think* that installing as administrator and placing the game outside of 'program files' directory is what fixed my problems...when i had placed the sim in 'prog files' dir. i could not even alter the graphics.cfg or the sim would crash on startup. (Does your DCS shortcut have that little 'shield' icon on the lower right hand side?? My shortcut does not because I installed with admin rights.)

I cannot run the sim with the GFX-'fullscreen' box checked either...not sure why!

I hear talk that the UAC headaches will be handled better in Windows7....

Very strange, its like if your running the program as a non admin it saves the game's config file "some where" else. I mean, the games only have one config.ini or whatever in their directory so how does that work? meh I don't know lol, enough of my OT rambling. It works now, so thanks :)

In fact, exactly what you describe happens when you install into "Program Files", as Vista uses file/folder virtualization for that directory tree. Programs with normal user rights are not allowed to write anywhere into "Program Files", instead their write requests for files in the "Program Files" tree are redirected to another "virtual" folder, where a copy of the original file is kept (and of course all read accesses to this file are also redirected to that copy). This way the program never alters the original file. To see the file copies that your program is actually writing to, click on the "Compatibility Files" button in the toolbar.

Now if you start your program with admin rights, it will be allowed to write into "Program Files", and read accesses will not be redirected anymore to the virtual folder. That's why you seem to lose your settings, as the program now reads the original file, not the copy that has been altered.

A bit more info here:

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/VistasShowCompatibilityFilesAndTheScrumptiousWonderThatIsFileVirtualization.aspx

• Like 1

In fact, exactly what you describe happens when you install into "Program Files", as Vista uses file/folder virtualization for that directory tree. Programs with normal user rights are not allowed to write anywhere into "Program Files", instead their write requests for files in the "Program Files" tree are redirected to another "virtual" folder, where a copy of the original file is kept (and of course all read accesses to this file are also redirected to that copy). This way the program never alters the original file. To see the file copies that your program is actually writing to, click on the "Compatibility Files" button in the toolbar.

Now if you start your program with admin rights, it will be allowed to write into "Program Files", and read accesses will not be redirected anymore to the virtual folder. That's why you seem to lose your settings, as the program now reads the original file, not the copy that has been altered.

A bit more info here:

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/VistasShowCompatibilityFilesAndTheScrumptiousWonderThatIsFileVirtualization.aspx

So should we install BS into program files with admin rights and run as admin or install normally and run normally outside program files?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

A bit more info here:

Excellent, thanks very much for the explanation, makes sense now.

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested!

I have UAC off (if it makes any diff) and am using standard path.

Would love to hear where you are at now.

E8600 Asus P5E Radeon 4870x2 Corsair 4gb Velociraptor 300gb Neopower 650 NZXT Tempest Vista64 Samsung 30" 2560x1600

Anyone interested in this mod any longer?!

I've figured out a better way, and have palettes added to create a tint in colour...

interested, love new colors ;)

i can make also a ModMan package to simplify installation for users

best regards

Skypat

I've got a newer version of the enbseries working that uses a palette to control light/contrast instead of settings.... changing colours is just a matter of switching palettes. Will post more as i do more; really busy with RL right now.

Will get back to you tomorrow Skypat...

also having UAC disabled has helped me play with files much easier!!!

also having UAC disabled has helped me play with files much easier!!!

UAC is working on file located to "c:\windows..." and "c:\program..."

i always install my game (and so Blackshark) on 'c:\mygame...' or 'd:\mygame...' to avoid the UAC problem

best regards

Skypat

Great new colors, until now I could use it only via monitor settings profiles. Waiting for more :D

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

I'm also interested in this graphical improvement mod!!!!. I'm waating for a new version to be released. Had a lot of issues with the first release though

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

sadly .. this mod floored my frame rates to nothing. had to uninstall it.

Yes, unfortunately the mod cut framerates as much as 30% on some rigs.....If not more

However, I am currently playing with the settings, and I can say that I have the mod taking less framerates; closer to a 5-9% loss.

When I have a little/lot more time to work on the settings, palettes, and maybe have Skypat do a MODMAN installation package, I recommend you give it another try.

Edited by crazysundog

• 1 month later...

I have found a bad side affect of this mod. I noticed my frame rates where not as good as I remembered when I first tried the Affinity fix. Some might put this down to the ENBseries taking away frames, but it turns out that setting the game to run without the "Full Screen" option checked negates any performance you get from using the Affinity fix, for some reason.

I tried running the game as standard (no mods) and when the Full screen option is set on I get +15-20 fps with Affinity on all cores. With the Full screen option off I get about +1 fps with Affinity set on all cores.

Is there anyone using this ENBSeries mod who doesn't have to uncheck "Full Screen" mode to make it work? Or anyone any ideas on why it needs this option unchecked to make it work? Kinda of a bummer to be loosing fps, not only from the mod itself, but also all the benefit of our multicore tweak. :noexpression:

I've tried everything i can think of to make this mod work with fullscreen checked, but I cannot figure it out...

I do however have a newer version of the mod running and lose very little FPS on my system, and have the added bonus of a more realistic lighting, and much better colours... I use different tints for different seasons.

Which version of the mod do you have installed?

(PS, on my system I still get +5-7 fps with affinity on)

I've tried everything i can think of to make this mod work with fullscreen checked, but I cannot figure it out...

I do however have a newer version of the mod running and lose very little FPS on my system, and have the added bonus of a more realistic lighting, and much better colours... I use different tints for different seasons.

Which version of the mod do you have installed?

(PS, on my system I still get +5-7 fps with affinity on)

Do you get a +5-7 fps increase regardless of full screen option on or off?

Had a look at my version and it says I'm using V0074e GTA San. I just checked their site and it seems like there are indeed many new versions out. None of them that you are aware of are able to use fullscreen in BS though? Dang.

Ill try some out anyway, what version are you currently using? cheers for the info :thumbup:

No, I get a 5-7 increase without fullscreen; with fullscreen its more like 20-30 fps!!

I am going to post a modman compatable hdr 2.0 mod here, got busy with RL and got sidetracked, but why dont I throw something together quickly here and post it tonight....gimme an hour, and then you can try the newer package with colour tints.