Hotas and Chair Height

Hello there,

i am playing around with my Hotas/chair height to see what suits me best and i wondered how you guys set your height for your gear?

Do you go for real measurements or just take what feels best for you ?

I would really appreciate some help/info about that topic, thank you!

IMHO the real thing is set up to be "good" for the maximum number of people.  That's not going to suit everyone, but since there likely isn't a lot of ways to customize it (some seat movement etc), they have to pick the best all round setting.  Since this is just for you, and and you can likely do more adjustments/tinkering to get exactly what you want (it doesn't have to be stable under high G pressure for example) I'd set it up however it feels most comfortable for you.  But I'm not a realism purist so YMMV 🙂.

Based on the A10C.

I made a socket and plug mechanism so I can mount my warthog stick to the front of my chair. I've cut the front foam away so the top of the base is about level with the seat foam. With a 3" extension the stick sits about perfectly when gauged against the virtual leap motion hands and the in-game cockpit stick. The extension allows me to set the left hand twist on the stock head so it's comfortable.

Similarly with the throttle, it's mounted on a shelf next to the chair, a little high but in the correct position forwards and sideways.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm contemplating making a wooden box, bolting a HOTAS to the top and setting it on the floor.  Then I can monkey around with heights until I find what I want and just leave it on the box since I work from the same computer I play DCS on.  I think a nice plywood box would be easier to hide but I've seen a very nice PVC sled that lies on the floor with attachments for pedals, throttle and stick.  Just add a beer bottle opener and holder and it's perfect.

HYzfdUB.png

Edited by BigHairyGobbler
Corrected a typo

My guarantee: if my first two bombs don't destroy you, the next one's free

F-16C | FC3 | Persian Gulf

Seat tilted 13 deg backwards (the base), the back part 16 deg backwards (copied from F-5 jet seat picture), the stick in mid-thigh 4 inches from balls, throttle 1 inch backwards, pedals raised but not as high as in F-16 where you half lay. My forearms are level with the ground when put on HOTAS. In most cockpits hands and legs are positioned as in VR. 

Edit the Warthog stick has 7 inch extension.

Edited by jurinko

Sitting on a real F-16 the seat is quite reclined, there is a lot more of your weight on your back than on your butt, it's actually quite comfortable and your feet are elevated with no real weight on them. 

The instruments are a lot closer to you than you would think, it did feel smaller than the cockpit of a Cessna 150 I used to fly.

Sorry no idea of the seat angles 🙂

_DSC0547.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

12 hours ago, Guppy said:

problem with PVC is it flexes - I would not recommend going the PVC route.

Schedule 80 PVC doesn't flex and even regular schedule 40 PVC is plenty rigid at 1-inch ID.

4 hours ago, BigHairyGobbler said:

Schedule 80 PVC doesn't flex and even regular schedule 40 PVC is plenty rigid at 1-inch ID.

I built a HOTAS stand several years ago with sand... its not sturdy. Probably schedule 40 though. But at that price point (sch80) and the mock up above you might as well just buy a couple Monstertech mounts and call it a day.

Edited by Guppy

22 hours ago, Guppy said:

I built a HOTAS stand several years ago with sand... its not sturdy. Probably schedule 40 though. But at that price point (sch80) and the mock up above you might as well just buy a couple Monstertech mounts and call it a day.

My desk isn't ideal for attaching a mount to and I use my desk for both DCS and work so the mounts would have to be attached/detached daily.  A wooden box or PVC sled would be better for me since I can slide it out of the way when not in use.  I personally prefer the box option which will be weighed with something and have a non-slick bottom to prevent sliding.

2 hours ago, BigHairyGobbler said:

My desk isn't ideal for attaching a mount to and I use my desk for both DCS and work so the mounts would have to be attached/detached daily.  A wooden box or PVC sled would be better for me since I can slide it out of the way when not in use.  I personally prefer the box option which will be weighed with something and have a non-slick bottom to prevent sliding.

You might be surprised and I only say that because I use my desk in a similar way; work/gaming.

Monstertech has been offering some custom bottom mounted solutions fixed with epoxy. It allows HOTAS mounts to slide freely or quick disconnect.

3EB53947-ADE1-4265-BF91-B27F93366AD5.jpgD83D4322-97B5-4F1E-821D-B8AD17091C36.jpg

I'm not pushing you one way or the obviously. We all have our own preferences and solutions... just giving you some other options that could work, is all.

On thing i thought about was: Is it possible to fly with a Centerstick with extension and no "cut-out" in the chair, basically in a regular office-chair. I tried that and it is reeeaaally uncomfortable.

Edited by Bastlwastl