Possible Return to VR

Wallop

Tried a Rift CV1 several years ago and whilst the immersion was impressive for the most part, the resolution and clarity of instruments was a bit of a dealbreaker for me. I also couldn't get past the grainy image quality. I returned the Rift and thought I'd give it a few years before seeing if the technology had improved.

I've read a lot of good stuff about the Reverb G2 and DCS and I'm wondering if now is the time to dip my toe back in again? Could I expect a night and day difference between what I experienced with the Rift CV1 and the G2?

My specs are:

I7 9700K

32Gb 2600 Ram

2080Ti OC

Thanks for any pointers.

Edited by Wallop

yes big improvement, even with a Rift S, or Quest 2.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Agreed there is quite the noticeable difference between Rift CV1 and Reverb G2.

There are still though shortcomings with VR when viewing beyond the cockpit. Only you trying it will know whether it is good for you or not. Me personally I could never go back to monitor.

• Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I went from a CV1 to the G2 last year and it's not even comparable.

I always hated using the CV1 mainly because I couldn't really read the instruments, in the G2 this is not an issue at all.

DCS in the G2 is an absolute pleasure even though I do hope for some improvements to the DCS engine in 2022 so the CPU utilization can be improved.

System: 7800X3D / Asus RTX 4090 OC / 64GB 3600mhz / Pimax Crystal / VKB GF3 Ultimate

8 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

VR with DCSW and Oculus 2 has been a trip into Hell for me.  I wish you better luck.

I discounted the Oculus 2 pretty much immediately. Any piece of hardware which is reliant on using an insidious and predatory social media account is an instant no no... no matter how good it's other qualities may be.

19 hours ago, dburne said:

Agreed there is quite the noticeable difference between Rift CV1 and Reverb G2.

There are still though shortcomings with VR when viewing beyond the cockpit. Only you trying it will know whether it is good for you or not. Me personally I could never go back to monitor.

Thanks @dburne could you elaborate on what the shortcomings are when viewing beyond the cockpit? I'm trying to get into helicopter flying (no previous experience) and was thinking the immersion vr gives may possibly make it easier than the Trackir/monitor setup I currently have?

Thanks all for your comments

1 hour ago, Wallop said:

I discounted the Oculus 2 pretty much immediately. Any piece of hardware which is reliant on using an insidious and predatory social media account is an instant no no... no matter how good it's other qualities may be.

Thanks @dburne could you elaborate on what the shortcomings are when viewing beyond the cockpit? I'm trying to get into helicopter flying (no previous experience) and was thinking the immersion vr gives may possibly make it easier than the Trackir/monitor setup I currently have?

Thanks all for your comments

Everything related to flying is way easier on VR.  Flying, formation, refuel, carrier landings, hovering choppers... dogfighting is easier as well, but more physical demanding though.

• Like 3

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

I decided to plunge into DCS all the way back in July 2020.  I designed and built a system that was in line with those used by the Top Guns of DCS at the time.  Almost by accident, I ran across an advertisement for the pre-sale of the HP Reverb2 and decided to take a chance.  For me, the added 3D effect changed DCS from an intellectual exercise to an obsession (almost).  It brought back knowledge and memories from the basic flight training that I received in the 1980's and definitely raised my game.  Hope that helps.

• Like 2

Intel i9 10900K (OC to 5.3), 32 GB Fury 3200 MHz, GeFORCE RTX 2080 Ti (OC), NVMe KIOIXA 1.8 TB, Toshiba 1.8 TB (7200), Killer E3000 2.5 GB Ethernet, Realtek 7.1 Sound w/ Logitech 560, Alienware keyboard/mouse, HP Reverb 2, and Thrustmaster Warthog (FA-18C).  Use DCS 2.8 with no mods.