Oculus 2 and OTT quest link options

Steel Jaw

I read that the default bit rate now on cable link is 288mbps, so is it really beneficial to bother tinkering with this in he OTT link settings?

Thoughts, thanks.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

• 3 weeks later...

ive found mostly that the OTT is pretty much uneeded these days and im running a 12700k with a 1080Ti. 1.5 SS in the oculus software @72hz. I just use the Keygets shader mod for the FPS boost and everything runs locked at 36fps under ASW. Very happy with the results. I used to use OTT a lot but slowly ive needed it less and less.

• Like 1

GTX 1080Ti, i7 8700@4.4Ghz, 16Gb DDR4.

19 hours ago, cloudkake said:

I just use the Keygets shader mod for the FPS boost

Link please, brother, Cheers.

Edited by Steel Jaw

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

On 1/5/2022 at 3:41 AM, cloudkake said:

ive found mostly that the OTT is pretty much uneeded these days and im running a 12700k with a 1080Ti. 1.5 SS in the oculus software @72hz. I just use the Keygets shader mod for the FPS boost and everything runs locked at 36fps under ASW. Very happy with the results. I used to use OTT a lot but slowly ive needed it less and less.

+1.

Oculus software tweaks give me the best visuals and performance now. I run at 72hz with the slider one step off the far right whatever that resolution is. No longer use OTT but do enable sharpening in ODT. I made these changes after watching more recent You Tube content (you gotta be careful of old/outdated content on there now) that suggests OTT has been overtaken by Ocullus software advances in 2021.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have noticed that the oculus tray tool is causing dropped fps in the cold start supercarrier mission on caucasus and I had very bad frame drops on the Carrier landing which was pretty much unplayable. I tried a landing on the same mission without the oculus tray tool with much better fps and playable. I am going to start getting away from the tray tool from here in out. I use the official quest link cable and set at 72hz only because it's recommended. 2080ti, i9-10900k, 32gb ram. I'm also on version 37 for the quest 2 and stable version latest update. 

I haven't used OTT in a long time, prefer to tweak in ODT although I do have to do this each time I launch. I keep default (0) in bitrate and resolution width, have doesn't for quite some time. I see no need to lock this to a fixed setting and see no improvement on the highest figures. The few changes I make at the moment:

FOV - I reduce this to 0.9 in both vertical and horizontal, does give small improvement in performance and I barely notice the reduction. However I hope to stop doing this in the future if performance improves somewhere and I can get fully smooth without it.

ASW - always on at half rate (I run 80hz). I do frequently get times when it switches to 80fps and this has been a bit jarring previously, so I keep it locked for simplicity.

Adaptive GPU scaling - never really sure what this does but I understand it reduces quailty to allow GPU to cope. I have this off as I would prefer to just know whats going on at my own settings. I'm not sure I've ever seen a difference one way or the other.

Distortion Curve - Low - looks nice, but small performance impact over high (high = lowest quality)

Link sharpening - Enabled - this is great and seems no performance hit. Does makes for a little extra aliasing (shimmers/jaggies) which can reduced elsewhere at performance cost. 

I find with oculus resolution set to maximum (in main application) at 80hz there is no room for any SS or PD increase (I wouldn't use the latter anyway), I'm on a 3090. 

On 1/24/2022 at 2:21 AM, Steel Jaw said:

SS option does not exist in the Oculus software.

yes it does, the PC app slider is correcting for barrel distortion by super sampling in areas of the image to give a 'perceived' native resolution.

2 hours ago, cloudkake said:

yes it does, the PC app slider is correcting for barrel distortion by super sampling in areas of the image to give a 'perceived' native resolution.

This slider is not supersampling, rather the full resolution required get the corrections you mention and get the headset to appear like its native resolution. This is the same as other headsets. For example the G2 in steamVR 100% is more pixels than the native resolution of the panels. Rift S did the same except it was all hidden and there was no way to adjust it down as you can with current headsets.

Also the 1.X listed in oculus software changes depending on your hardware as it is an arbitrary (and confusing) measure of system load. People with 3090 might see the top values as 1.4 whereas a 3070 user might see this as 1.6 (im not sure exact number - just a guess). A  super sample  value is a multiplier and therefore would be the same for everyone.

44 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

This slider is not supersampling, rather the full resolution required get the corrections you mention and get the headset to appear like its native resolution. This is the same as other headsets. For example the G2 in steamVR 100% is more pixels than the native resolution of the panels. Rift S did the same except it was all hidden and there was no way to adjust it down as you can with current headsets.

Also the 1.X listed in oculus software changes depending on your hardware as it is an arbitrary (and confusing) measure of system load. People with 3090 might see the top values as 1.4 whereas a 3070 user might see this as 1.6 (im not sure exact number - just a guess). A  super sample  value is a multiplier and therefore would be the same for everyone.

Yes that is as i understand it though you put it far better. What i was wondering about was the PD overide in the ODT. Does that start multiplying the resolution? There are still elements of the debug tool that i dont fully get, nor seem to find consistant info on..

i appreciate the explaination of the slider number though, that finally makes sense system to system!

Edited by cloudkake

3 hours ago, cloudkake said:

Yes that is as i understand it though you put it far better. What i was wondering about was the PD overide in the ODT. Does that start multiplying the resolution? There are still elements of the debug tool that i dont fully get, nor seem to find consistant info on..

i appreciate the explaination of the slider number though, that finally makes sense system to system!

Yeah I can't say I understand everything in the ODT either, most are best left alone/at default to be honest.

Yes the override does multiply what ever you have set in the oculus software. I run max res at 80hz and if I add .1 in there it is too much!