Latest patch F-14 details request

zone 5

Sure!

Here's the current changelog;

DCS F-14 Tomcat by Heatblur Simulations

• NEW: Added DCS VOIP functionality to AN/ARC-159 and AN/ARC-182.

• Changed ICS default setting to always cold mic on spawn.

• Overhauled all night lighting in F-14A and -B cockpits for DCS linear space gamma sampling.

• Floodlights are now operational again in the F-14B cockpit.

• Forrestal: Adjusted LSO platform view.

• Forrestal: Tie-downs now render proper cavity map.

• Fixed potentially long load times due to TACAN initialization.

• Fix typo which accidentally removed one AIM-9L from this F-14A-135-GR predefined payload: AIM-54A-MK60x1, AIM-7Fx1, AIM-9Lx2, XTx2, Mk-82x2.

• Adjusted integrated stab trim for flap and DLC operation.

• Adjusted gear and speedbrake drag.

• Adjusted flap pitching moment.

• Adjusted F110 fuel flow for mid-power settings.

• Adjusted lift while in ground effect.

• Added VF1 Wolfpack NK100-103 skins by Yae Sakura (thank you!).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 16

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

DCS World OpenBeta\CoreMods\Aircraft\F14 = ~9.5 GB
\F-16C = ~3.15 GB
\FA-18C = ~1.1 GB

\Mods\Aircraft\F14 = ~4.67 GB
\F-16C = ~1.11 GB
\FA-18C = ~892MB

My favorite module. Doesn't get any better - but its getting awfully heavy. Perhaps, we can start doing one-for-one swap out for any new liveries. Maybe get rid of redundancies?

i7-8700K / 64GB RAM / ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti / (Win 10 Pro) / Oculus Rift S

Lol it must be annoying to be HB, "we need more, we need more", "hey this module takes up way too much space".

Storage is cheap, I'll take the higher quality textures at the expense of a few extra gb any day.

Edited by Hector45
  • Like 7

Modules: F-14A/B | F-15C | F-16C | F/A-18C | SU-33 | Spitfire Mk IX | AH-64D | UH-1 | Super Carrier | Combined Arms | Persian Gulf | Syria | NTTR

Setup: VKB Gunfighter Mk.III F-14 CE HOTAS | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | MFG Crosswind V3 | Custom switch panel | Tek Creations F14 Display Panel | Custom F14 Left Vertical Console | Custom IR Tracker | Custom butt kicker

PC: i7 11700K | 64GB G-Skill DDR4 3600MHz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | DCS dedicated 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD | 3440x1440 144hz 34" ultrawide

People: We need more MODEX to actually have a full flight of the same squadron!

Also people: My hard drive nooooo!!!!!!

If ED allowed for "DLC" of just liveries to be enabled in the module management in DCS, that might be a way to somehow please everyone. Because boy howdy, y'alls hard drives are going to start crying when me and the boys really get working after the model/texture updates someday. I went and got an SSD just for DCS, and had to relocate all of my skinning WIP files and templates. And I know the other skinners have even larger folder sizes because they're churning out full 12 MODEX stacks of liveries.

Edited by LanceCriminal86
  • Like 3

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

1 hour ago, MRSHADO said:

DCS World OpenBeta\CoreMods\Aircraft\F14 = ~9.5 GB
\F-16C = ~3.15 GB
\FA-18C = ~1.1 GB

\Mods\Aircraft\F14 = ~4.67 GB
\F-16C = ~1.11 GB
\FA-18C = ~892MB

My favorite module. Doesn't get any better - but its getting awfully heavy. Perhaps, we can start doing one-for-one swap out for any new liveries. Maybe get rid of redundancies?

yea it's heavy but that's a lot of art work which I hope to appreciate over the years as the hardware improves. 

it's a "more for less" deal 

18 hours ago, LanceCriminal86 said:

People: We need more MODEX to actually have a full flight of the same squadron!

Also people: My hard drive nooooo!!!!!!

The ultimate solution is dynamic modexes, but that's a problem that's going to be long on solving and is a can of worms that's been opened several times.

Still, I look forward to the day when a squadron of 12 jets can be rendered with decent accuracy by 2 or 3 skins.

• Like 4

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

1 hour ago, RustBelt said:

I can't believe how hard it seems to be for Dynamic MODEX, I mean it's not a NEW thing.

It's not hard to make them dynamic just on its own. What seems to be the problem is that each livery from different wings had the numbers on different places, different fonts,... That's what makes it more complex than usual when you have XY liveries, but the numbers are on the same place with same font. IIRC HB did comment on this a while a go on one thread when the question was similar to this one

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 1:53 AM, Blinde said:

Or maybe lower the resolution or size to save space a bit more.

Why? Storage is not exactly expensive these days, and I for one prefer realistic looking textures over the "plastic-y" F-16. Some community texture artists provide liveries that are far better than the stock ones from ED (user "lee1hy" for example).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

The overarching concern is not just having to cut up the model to add the areas where the numbers need to go, and to add a few variations, but also that the model has to store and load/display/hide a lot of things based on animation arguments. Keep adding stuff on like the desired TCS variants, ALQ-126 antennas, maybe old gun vents, etc. and there's a ton more stuff that can impact performance. And I think it was also mentioned there may be limits to how many arguments can be loaded.

Oh, and dynamic MODEX isn't going to be great for when you need digit kerning and raked digits like pretty much every Tomcat squadron used, or really the Navy in general. But it seems the people screaming for dynamic modex aren't the kind that care about accuracy there anyways.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

It's going to take a different approach than using the system DCS inherited from Flanker 2.0. Back when it was originally devised, the old AI F-14 model only had to represent two F-14 squadrons in VF-51 and VF-111. Dynamic modexes might seem like an easy fix, but to pull it off to the degree that HB expects from themselves, it's a bigger plate than it initially appears. New technology will have to be developed to handle the placement, size, and kerning issues for even straight digits. Anybody holding their breath for this one is probably gonna drown.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

9 hours ago, grant977 said:

What about the autopilot issues?

It is being remodeled from ground up and will take a while. The old AP model is not sufficient for the new FM changes anymore.

• Thanks 3

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/