[SP/Coop PVE] Foothold - Persistent Dynamic Sandbox

10 hours ago, FDXMadcat said:

Well... i would pay Money to support your work tbh..... so if you have paypal or something.... 😉

While I appreciate the  sentiment, I'd rather you donate that money to a charity of your choice. My personal suggestions is any of the charities helping war refugees across eastern Europe.

Clicking on the banner image in the DCS Liberation github will bring you to a webpage with some useful resources in this regard.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Dzsekeb said:

While I appreciate the enthusiasm, please don't buy the map specifically for my mission. That's raising the expectations a bit too much.

I'm considering releasing the mission in a slightly incomplete state, because I could use some feedback on the balancing of the AI groups. Due to the larger scale, it's very time consuming to test by myself.

I'll be glad to help. We have a decent number of players frequently play together but not a public server so I can actually collect feedback from people. And I do have some limited scripting experience. Not enough to create a system as complex as yours but should help tracking down some bugs.

Would you also consider having a place to manage bug and feedback report when it's released? Github/Discord? I know you have a GitHub page for zoneCommander but people don't seem to know/use it. Especially for balancing feedbacks which are not really "bugs".

2 hours ago, Omelette said:

I'll be glad to help. We have a decent number of players frequently play together but not a public server so I can actually collect feedback from people. And I do have some limited scripting experience. Not enough to create a system as complex as yours but should help tracking down some bugs.

Would you also consider having a place to manage bug and feedback report when it's released? Github/Discord? I know you have a GitHub page for zoneCommander but people don't seem to know/use it. Especially for balancing feedbacks which are not really "bugs".

Yes, I have been considering setting up a discord server for this. Will post an invite once it's ready.

I have setup a discord server for Foothold. You can join here: https://discord.gg/PtPsb9Mpk6

An early version of Foothold Syria (v0.3) is now available to download in the #releases channel, for any of you who would like to help with the testing.

Notes:

• random events are not yet implemented
  • zone descriptions are very basic, these will be expanded in the future

Any feedback is appreciated, but the most important questions for me at this stage are:

• does any zone feel too difficult/too easy to capture or hold?
  • does any area of the map feel too empty/over saturated?
  • do any of the support options feel too overpowered/too underpowered?
  • Like 1

Tried the Syria version (0.5) of this mission yesterday.

Man @Dzsekeb you're a wizard!

How did I not try this mission earlier?!

I played it SP, and although the persistence option is there, this mission will probably truly come to life in MP.

Don't get me wrong, I totally loved it in SP, but I kinda missed blue force support when I started alone in my solo Apache 😋 (didn't yet have enough credits for support flights at mission start). But still, I had an absolute blast!!

To share my experience:

• I started out on FOB Alpha, as said, in my Apache (No credits, so no support 😬)
  • Flew to objective Bravo and cleared the SAM site there
  • Refueled/rearmed at FOB Alpha and requested CAP and SEAD support with my earned credits (enemy F-5's and MiG-25's were already buzzing around, so blue CAP was much needed)
  • While my SEAD support attacked the SA-15 at Hatay, I closed in on Hatay to clear out the rest of the ground units
  • Had to go back to Alpha to refuel/rearm again and while doing so, an enemy helo flew in more ground units to Hatay! (awesome!!)
  • Got back to Hatay and eventually cleared it
  • Soon as I cleared it, an allied UH-60 took off from FOB Alpha, landed on Hatay and dropped off ground units! (seriously?! Awesome!!)
  • Additionally I noticed an allied An-26 was flying to Hatay and tried to land there to, I think, drop off even more allied units. (unfortunately it got shot down while on approach by enemy CAP)

It was truly a thrilling experience to see all this AI action unfolding after I cleared Hatay. So realistic to see actual support planes/helo's bring in troops/units, instead of just instantaneously spawning units upon capture.

Massive thanks @Dzsekeb :notworthy:

• Like 3

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Today I started the Caucasus version.

First off all, for helo ops, I don't find it "cramped" at all.

But..

Is there a way to get at least some CAP backup at the start?

I mean, I'm really a sitting duck there in my Apache... F-14 fighter sweep support is really expensive at mission start and I can't get enough credits, before being shot down by enemy CAP.... Am I missing something?

Also, did I correctly notice that all earned credits are reset on mission (re)start?

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

5 minutes ago, sirrah said:

Today I started the Caucasus version.

First off all, for helo ops, I don't find it "cramped" at all.

But..

Is there a way to get at least some CAP backup at the start?

I mean, I'm really a sitting duck there in my Apache... F-14 fighter sweep support is really expensive at mission start and I can't get enough credits, before being shot down by enemy CAP.... Am I missing something?

Also, did I correctly notice that all earned credits are reset on mission (re)start?

Earned credits should not reset on mission restart. What might've happened here is either you exited the game before it was saved (its saved once every minute), or you did not land after you earned the credits in order to add them to the "bank".

Regarding CAP, if you take Charlie, which is neutral at the start, Anapa will start spawning some mirage flights occasionally. 

Check the zone status menu, to get some hints on what benefits some of the zones can provide if captured.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Dzsekeb said:

Earned credits should not reset on mission restart. What might've happened here is either you exited the game before it was saved (its saved once every minute), or you did not land after you earned the credits in order to add them to the "bank".

Regarding CAP, if you take Charlie, which is neutral at the start, Anapa will start spawning some mirage flights occasionally. 

Check the zone status menu, to get some hints on what benefits some of the zones can provide if captured.

Ah ok, thanks, that helps.

One thing though, in the briefing it says you can capture a neutral zone, by landing there. I tried this, but the zones stay neutral.

Only after an AI helo arrives (which can take quite long to spawn), the zone goes blue.

Screen_220415_120839.png

Screen_220415_121151.png

(also tried landing exactly on the "T" symbol, but the area stays neutral)

EDIT:

Or is engine shut off required perhaps?

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

1 minute ago, sirrah said:

Ah ok, thanks, that helps.

One thing though, in the briefing it says you can capture a neutral zone, by landing there. I tried this, but the zones stay neutral.

Only after an AI helo arrives (which can take quite long to spawn), the zone goes blue.

Screen_220415_120839.png

Screen_220415_121151.png

(also tried landing exactly on the "T" symbol, but the area stays neutral)

The AI only needs to land.

For players, you can either slingload a cargo from one of the zones that provide them, or you load/unload "simulated" cargo using the logistics section in the radio menu/other.

The logistics menu also has a list of which zones you can pick up these supplies from.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dzsekeb said:

The AI only needs to land.

For players, you can either slingload a cargo from one of the zones that provide them, or you load/unload "simulated" cargo using the logistics section in the radio menu/other.

The logistics menu also has a list of which zones you can pick up these supplies from.

It's all working out now. Bringing supplies (and with that building up an air defense systems) helped a lot! 👍 

Next tagret: those pesky SAM's at Krymsk Air Base

System specs:

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is an issue with my system or server, but both in single player or running the mission on my server if players zoom out far enough on the F10 map all menu background disappear. I've not seen that happen outside of the Foothold mission, but I've also never run anything else built with the scripts in the mission.

Current system: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | ASUS TUF Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB | G.Skill 64GB Trident Z Neo DDR5 6000mHz | Quest Pro
Matrix: @seven10:matrix.jointspecialforces.org

3 minutes ago, seven10 said:

I'm not sure if this is an issue with my system or server, but both in single player or running the mission on my server if players zoom out far enough on the F10 map all menu background disappear. I've not seen that happen outside of the Foothold mission, but I've also never run anything else built with the scripts in the mission.

Maybe its something to do with the drawings that the scripts do on the map. You should probably report that to ED in any case. 

1 hour ago, Dzsekeb said:

Maybe its something to do with the drawings that the scripts do on the map. You should probably report that to ED in any case. 

Thanks, I'll have to test and report. My experience with any scripts in DCS is limited so I'm not sure if it would occur in other missions yet.

Current system: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | ASUS TUF Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB | G.Skill 64GB Trident Z Neo DDR5 6000mHz | Quest Pro
Matrix: @seven10:matrix.jointspecialforces.org

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, PaulSummer said:

Does this save all ground troop/vehicles that we can bring up in choppers after a restart  as i have combined arms and would like to save progress

Thanks

Sorry, no, this only saves the state of the zones and a list of units that were alive at the zones, and respawns them on mission start. You can control the units with combined arms but they will spawn back at the source zone if you moved them out, once you restart.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dzsekeb said:

Sorry, no, this only saves the state of the zones and a list of units that were alive at the zones, and respawns them on mission start. You can control the units with combined arms but they will spawn back at the source zone if you moved them out, once you restart.

Many thanks 

Had our first taste of Foothold yesterday, trying out Syria. It seemed very interesting and was quite fun, but with only two people and trying out different planes (and needing some refreshers at times to operate them, meaning some "wasted" time) we found that stuff would generally respawn/get reinforced before we could really make much progress. For example, looking at TACView, after we'd made a preliminary attack on Hatay with Jeffs to take out the air defenses, a Hip carrying a new SA-15 was spawned basically immediately after the original one was destroyed. It then took about 25 minutes to get to the target area.

With more people on the server doing many different things at the same time, this probably works fantastically, but with just the two of us, and us wanting to do mostly two-ship missions, this ends up being quite fast. Is there a way to add some delay to this, or something?

EDIT: And just to confirm, to enable persistence when running on a dedicated server, I need to adjust the files in the server's installation directory, right? I mostly ask because the dedicated server thing is only mentioned for the slotblocking thing.

Edited by jubuttib

10 minutes ago, jubuttib said:

Had our first taste of Foothold yesterday, trying out Syria. It seemed very interesting and was quite fun, but with only two people and trying out different planes (and needing some refreshers at times to operate them, meaning some "wasted" time) we found that stuff would generally respawn/get reinforced before we could really make much progress. For example, looking at TACView, after we'd made a preliminary attack on Hatay with Jeffs to take out the air defenses, a Hip carrying a new SA-15 was spawned basically immediately after the original one was destroyed. It then took about 25 minutes to get to the target area.

With more people on the server doing many different things at the same time, this probably works fantastically, but with just the two of us, and us wanting to do mostly two-ship missions, this ends up being quite fast. Is there a way to add some delay to this, or something?

Check the triggers list, theres a do script action that you can edit to adjust the respawn times. 

If you need help doing it join the discord. The FAQ section has some info on this, and someone could help you out if its still not clear. 

Edit:

Yes on the persistance question. You need to edit it on the dedicated server as that will be writing the save file. 

You can also try killing the supply helicopters, that will increase the time until they can respawn again.

This is true for patrol and attack flights as well

Edited by Dzsekeb
  • Like 1

@Dzsekeb

Do you know if it would be possible to modify the file saving location for the foothold_1.3.3.lua?

What would be the correct syntax?

bc = BattleCommander:new('foothold_1.3.3.lua')

maybe to a path like c:/user/USERNAME/Saved Games/DCS/foothold_1.3.3.lua 

Edited by JIGGAwest

14 hours ago, Dzsekeb said:

Check the triggers list, theres a do script action that you can edit to adjust the respawn times. 

If you need help doing it join the discord. The FAQ section has some info on this, and someone could help you out if its still not clear. 

Cheers, I take it that you mean the setDifficultyScaling one? It's currently at 1.4 for the redfor, what does this apply to?

I'm less worried about general respawn times, and more about how quickly a helicopter is spawned to carry a new unit into the area. Looking at the Tacview the Mi-8 carrying a new SA-15 got generated the instant the original was destroyed, so I feel like the respawn timer wouldn't really do anything, unless I set it to like 1000x.

6 hours ago, JIGGAwest said:

@Dzsekeb

Do you know if it would be possible to modify the file saving location for the foothold_1.3.3.lua?

What would be the correct syntax?

bc = BattleCommander:new('foothold_1.3.3.lua')

maybe to a path like c:/user/USERNAME/Saved Games/DCS/foothold_1.3.3.lua 

You can unzip the syria mission and see how its done there, but I'll be updating the caucasus version as well with that in the near future. 

• Thanks 1