A-4E-C Nose Wheel Steering missing.

GBU10

On 2/12/2022 at 10:19 AM, SoW Reddog said:

I'm all for making things as realistic as possible. I'm also all for making things as accessible as possible. Thus, even though I've pretty much sorted my taxi issues after a fair amount of practice, I'd support adding in the NWS option back in for people to make their own choices. Just like the realism that photowriters is talking about in terms of the work that goes into planning and executing a real flightplan isn't for everybody either. TL;DR, Choice is good.

Yes, please give us a choice.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I was really loving the A-4E, up until someone made the RIDICULOUS decision to disable NWS altogether without providing and option to keep it. That is the dumbest decision I have ever seen a maker of any flight/combat Sim. If you don't like my reply DON'T READ IT. I rarely comment and usually just fly and enjoy but I am DONE with the A-4 for now, good thing it's free.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Asus ROG HERO / i9-13900K / 6GHZ /32GB DDR5 6400/ Asus RTX 3090 Ti OC / Samsung SSDs - 2*990 Pro 2TB / PiMax 8KX HMD / Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + 4 MFDs + Logitech Rudders on Next Level Racing Rig with Buttkicker Gamer Plus

4 hours ago, mmcintosh said:

If you don't like my reply DON'T READ IT

How could I dislike your post without reading it first?  Why dont you just learn to use differential braking to steer, like the real pilot had to do? Wonder how do you fly other jets of the period, like the Mig-19 or Mig-21. 🙄 … and if you don’t like my reply, just take your own advice and don’t read it 😇

• Like 8

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

The A4-E is a wonderful mod, no doubt. But it NWS doesn't works fine. I had 3 years on DCS, can use differential braking in all modules... except A4-E. Impossible to have natural turns. Pratice hours and hours and no good results.

Some people only demands an option for enable or disable the old NWS system. Nothing more. Will be free for everybody to use the fidelity or a little cheat in ground.

The true is that I rarely fly A4-E now for that issue. And before was one of the most used for me. It's a pity.

Anyway, thanks to the creators of the mod for their work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

But, with the default mod, without adding any countrie´s skin, you provide and Argentine Navy one, passing as a "A4Q" (how it was denominated here the naval A4B bought back in 1970).

those plane where retrofited with some upgrades, like the ones on the Argentinian Air Force B and C ones, and among thouse where the NWS as you can see in this picture:

This information can be checked in the following bibliography:

Cettolo, Marino, Mosquera & Núñez Padín: «McDonnell Douglas A-4P/C Skyhawk» (Serie Fuerza Aérea Argentina No.2, Argentina, 1997) ; Jorge F. Núñez Padín: “McDonnell Douglas A-4Q Skyhawk” (Serie Aeronaval No.1, Argentina, 1993); Kenneth Munson: «Skyhawk» (War Data #7, Israel, circa 1983).

I post this because it is a real thing that a lot of us seems to be using the mod, not just only as an E/F pure US standarized. Lacking to have older/retrofited/abroad sub variants make people to use the mod "passing as an specific Skyhawk" given the aircraft long and prosperous carreer. 

Just a thaught. 

0D0046_edited.webp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2022 at 3:22 AM, Rudel_chw said:

How could I dislike your post without reading it first?  Why dont you just learn to use differential braking to steer, like the real pilot had to do? Wonder how do you fly other jets of the period, like the Mig-19 or Mig-21. 🙄 … and if you don’t like my reply, just take your own advice and don’t read it 😇

not the same at all my friend. the planes you mention don´t lock the front wheel on a whim, and if no input is given the free casting wheel returns to center very quick. Not the case with the A-4E-C, that is very difficult to guide, and work with.

It bafles me that with so much negative feedback the makers of the MOD are not willing to give an option to use or not NWS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Baco said:

not the same at all my friend. the planes you mention don´t lock the front wheel on a whim, and if no input is given the free casting wheel returns to center very quick. Not the case with the A-4E-C, that is very difficult to guide, and work with.

I can use it with no problem, but perhaps the keyboard users are the ones facing a more difficult case.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

1 hour ago, Rudel_chw said:

I can use it with no problem, but perhaps the keyboard users are the ones facing a more difficult case.

I have pedals and I fly sim since 1984.... yes it is "usable" but its a bigger difficulty than it needs to be. You use it alone, put 10 planes on deck and you will see the problem. I hinders Realistic operations of the plane on realistic conditions. The Q had NWS, for instance...and many were retro fitted. you can call us "useless", to those who complain, but it doesn't change the fact that is an unnecessary hassle and a royal pain in the but. 

• Thanks 1

Because of this change i have deleted the actually excellent mod.
This fiddly bull<profanity> on deck is really a pain in the ass.
My remaining life time is too short and important for me to continue struggling with it. I feel for Baco.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

but perhaps the keyboard users are the ones facing a more difficult case.

I use a twist stick and the keyboard and can get around a packed carrier no problem. The free caster makes it turn arguably sharper than the Hornet in NWS HI.

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2022 at 8:59 AM, Dallenbach said:

Because of this change i have deleted the actually excellent mod.
This fiddly bull<profanity> on deck is really a pain in the ass.
My remaining life time is too short and important for me to continue struggling with it. I feel for Baco.

I too have deleted the MOD. I use Logitech rudder pedals, not the best out there but usually quite usable. In the A-4E they are [expletive] useless.

• Like 1

Asus ROG HERO / i9-13900K / 6GHZ /32GB DDR5 6400/ Asus RTX 3090 Ti OC / Samsung SSDs - 2*990 Pro 2TB / PiMax 8KX HMD / Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + 4 MFDs + Logitech Rudders on Next Level Racing Rig with Buttkicker Gamer Plus

2 minutes ago, nukeproof said:

I am still grateful for the good times spent flying it and would like to thank the modder for the putting it up. At the same time, I can't avoid thinking that removing the NWS for the sake of a blind pursuit of ultra realism and not providing an option, was a very stupid decision.

Amazing how you can both be grateful yet say that the developers make stupid decisions .. 👎   

I can only imagine how you would behave on real life, telling your CO that the aircraft has stupid features and that you'd rather resign from the navy than learn to use the aircraft like every one else does.

• Like 2

15 minuti fa, nukeproof ha scritto:

I too uninstalled this mod because of it. For me, it became an exercise in frustation while jumping from carrier.

I am still grateful for the good times spent flying it and would like to thank the modder for the putting it up. At the same time, I can't avoid thinking that removing the NWS for the sake of a blind pursuit of ultra realism and not providing an option, was a very stupid decision.

Instead with all the difficulties of "problematic" use of nose wheel steering me and my group of "Flying Friends" in DCS continue to use this magnificent mod with satisfaction

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mmcintosh said:

I too have deleted the MOD. I use Logitech rudder pedals, not the best out there but usually quite usable. In the A-4E they are [expletive] useless.

I also have Logitech rudder pedals, but I have no trouble steering the A-4 precisely. I control the little bird by short, alternating kicks to the left and right toe brakes. If you try to stand on the left or right toe brake to force the plane in the direction you want to go, you will lose that battle.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming, AMD Ryzen 3800X, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 6800 XT, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 250 GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 1 TB (DCS World), Gigabyte G27QC Gaming Monitor, DelanClip Gamer, WINWING F-16EX Metal Flightstick with Orion2 Joystick Base, WINWING F-15EX II Metal Throttle with Orion2 Throttle Base, WINWING PTO 2 Take Off Panel, VIRPIL Controls Ace Flight Pedals, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, Windows 10 Pro

I have the cheapest thrustmaster pedals with no curves... I also have 0 issues taxing with the A-4 in a carrier or airfield... What I have issues with, is the entitlement of some people... 

This mod is free, done by people using their free time to pursue their own goals and they graciously share their work with us, even if they have no obligation to.  It is fine and understandable that somebody might not agree or like those goals but calling them "stupid" is crossing the line. 

This entitlement might end up killing the desire of sharing one's work. I'm personally in this situation, even  that what I've shared with this community is not remotely  close to what the A-4 team has shared.

I'm sure the dev team, any mod dev team, can take constructive feedback and apply it if it fits their goals. Let's respect those, be grateful and if we do not like a mod for whatever reason, just let's move on. 

We are here to have fun after all... In whatever way each one of us define "fun".

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I fly the A4-e every day.  I own the F-18 Hornet, but I prefer the Skyhawk.  I got bored using precission munications that hardly ever miss.  I only fly the Skyhawk from a runway on land or on a carrier. I am old, and I sometimes get a terrible shake in my hands. Air refueling and formation flying is out of the question. As to the taxi steering. I just avoid it.  However, I have to agree with others that there should be a option for it's use.  If the goal is to get more people to use DCS and the Skyhawk, then having a option is a good business decision. Reguardless, I'll continue to use it the best way I can.

• Like 1

I love the A-4 Skyhawk, and while this Community version isn't perfect, it's pretty damned good.  I enjoy flying it every time! ...and it's probably the only A-4 Skyhawk we're going to get (I'd like an A-4B version, though).  I would agree with 4eyes that an option box somewhere would be nice so that we can choose between powered nosewheel steering or the free-castering configuration.  But I don't know how difficult it would be for the community to code that option.  There DOES seem to be a problem with steering at low speeds, like less than 1-2kts.  It seems like something to do with starting friction forces on the individual main tires.  But I'm not sure.  Differential braking seems non-existent below the 1-2 kts range.  That, combined with having no feel of how much braking force we're applying to the left and right wheels.  I'm not saying this is anyone's fault.  It seems like you can't hold one brake, let's say the right, apply throttle and pivot around that right tire.  But I would think there would be enough "feel" in the toe brakes to make very fine brake applications to turn and not go off the edge of the carrier deck.  And I have tried setting control response curves for the brakes.  Then again, I see videos of real aircraft handlers on the carriers with a tiller bar or steering bar connected to the A-4's nosewheel, apparently to steer it around the flight deck for the pilot and get it lined up exactly on the catapult.  Maybe the real aircraft really is difficult to steer precisely.  And if you were facing the edge of the flight deck, close to the edge with brakes applied, stopped, I'm pretty sure the deck crew would get about 6-8 guys to push the aircraft back from the edge.  Or maybe shut it down and pull it with a tug by the arresting hook or main struts.  Can't do that in DCS...at least not yet.  Also, having powered nosewheel steering would sort of simulate that guy with the tiller bar steering the nosewheel around on the flight deck.  On an airbase, the nosewheel steering isn't really needed, sure.  You get used to using finesse on the toe brakes and throttle to taxi.

Anyway, the handling just feels very vague at walking speeds.  It seems to work okay if you stay up above about 2-3 kts.  And then having no feel at all on the toe brakes (that's the fault of the simulator rudder pedal hardware designs--they need much stiffer springs with a short throw) makes it a little hard to apply fine differential braking.

I won't quit flying the A-4, though.  I love doing carrier ops with it.  Just wish we had an angled-deck, Essex-class like the Hancock or Oriskany to operate off of, though.  The Clemenceau is about the best substitute.

Seems like the best work around is to keep some speed while taxiing...just above walking speed.  Don't get too slow with the nose wheel hard over, or you'll be stuck in a turn until you have enough speed (and ramp space) to ease out of it with the opposite brake and straighten that nose wheel.  I found this technique to work pretty well:  Hold the brakes.  Apply power up to about 1.4:1 EPR (or whatever %RPM that works out to).  Then ease off the brakes to gain speed to ONLY about 2-3 kts...walking speed.  Then, riding the brakes, maintain that speed and control direction with differential application of the brakes.  (I use the Thrustmaster TPR pedals).  To taxi a bit on an airfield, you can ease off the throttle a bunch and just maintain 7-10 kts or whatever, as normal.  For fine steering on the carrier deck, use the power-on, ride-the-brakes technique above.  Never mind that that power setting might blow guys off the carrier deck.  😀  It's like the caster of the nose wheel is overly dampened, maybe.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Andrew8604 said:

I love the A-4 Skyhawk, and while this Community version isn't perfect, it's pretty damned good.  I enjoy flying it every time! ...and it's probably the only A-4 Skyhawk we're going to get (I'd like an A-4B version, though).  I would agree with 4eyes that an option box somewhere would be nice so that we can choose between powered nosewheel steering or the free-castering configuration.  But I don't know how difficult it would be for the community to code that option.  There DOES seem to be a problem with steering at low speeds, like less than 1-2kts.  It seems like something to do with starting friction forces on the individual main tires.  But I'm not sure.  Differential braking seems non-existent below the 1-2 kts range.  That, combined with having no feel of how much braking force we're applying to the left and right wheels.  I'm not saying this is anyone's fault.  It seems like you can't hold one brake, let's say the right, apply throttle and pivot around that right tire.  But I would think there would be enough "feel" in the toe brakes to make very fine brake applications to turn and not go off the edge of the carrier deck.  And I have tried setting control response curves for the brakes.  Then again, I see videos of real aircraft handlers on the carriers with a tiller bar or steering bar connected to the A-4's nosewheel, apparently to steer it around the flight deck for the pilot and get it lined up exactly on the catapult.  Maybe the real aircraft really is difficult to steer precisely.  And if you were facing the edge of the flight deck, close to the edge with brakes applied, stopped, I'm pretty sure the deck crew would get about 6-8 guys to push the aircraft back from the edge.  Or maybe shut it down and pull it with a tug by the arresting hook or main struts.  Can't do that in DCS...at least not yet.  Also, having powered nosewheel steering would sort of simulate that guy with the tiller bar steering the nosewheel around on the flight deck.  On an airbase, the nosewheel steering isn't really needed, sure.  You get used to using finesse on the toe brakes and throttle to taxi.

Anyway, the handling just feels very vague at walking speeds.  It seems to work okay if you stay up above about 2-3 kts.  And then having no feel at all on the toe brakes (that's the fault of the simulator rudder pedal hardware designs--they need much stiffer springs with a short throw) makes it a little hard to apply fine differential braking.

I won't quit flying the A-4, though.  I love doing carrier ops with it.  Just wish we had an angled-deck, Essex-class like the Hancock or Oriskany to operate off of, though.  The Clemenceau is about the best substitute.

Seems like the best work around is to keep some speed while taxiing...just above walking speed.  Don't get too slow with the nose wheel hard over, or you'll be stuck in a turn until you have enough speed (and ramp space) to ease out of it with the opposite brake and straighten that nose wheel.  I found this technique to work pretty well:  Hold the brakes.  Apply power up to about 1.4:1 EPR (or whatever %RPM that works out to).  Then ease off the brakes to gain speed to ONLY about 2-3 kts...walking speed.  Then, riding the brakes, maintain that speed and control direction with differential application of the brakes.  (I use the Thrustmaster TPR pedals).  To taxi a bit on an airfield, you can ease off the throttle a bunch and just maintain 7-10 kts or whatever, as normal.  For fine steering on the carrier deck, use the power-on, ride-the-brakes technique above.  Never mind that that power setting might blow guys off the carrier deck.  😀  It's like the caster of the nose wheel is overly dampened, maybe.

I would like to add that I am physically unable to use rudder peddles/toe brakes.  Maybe the mod isn't really design for a joy stick twist rudder?  Anyway, I have watched a number of old films of the  Forrestal. The pilots received a lot of help from the deck crew when moving the aircraft. You don't see any A4-E or F-4's moving around the decks without some kind of assitance.  My cousin was also on the  Forrestal during the fire. When using only a Joy Stick how should I bind the right/left brakes?  I tried using the stick and keyboard, but I am having trouble driving the aircraft, rubbing my belly, and picking my nose at the same time. I'm not good at physically multitasking anymore. Don't get old!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4eyes said:

I would like to add that I am physically unable to use rudder peddles/toe brakes.  Maybe the mod isn't really design for a joy stick twist rudder?  Anyway, I have watched a number of old films of the  Forrestal. The pilots received a lot of help from the deck crew when moving the aircraft. You don't see any A4-E or F-4's moving around the decks without some kind of assitance.  My cousin was also on the  Forrestal during the fire. When using only a Joy Stick how should I bind the right/left brakes?  I tried using the stick and keyboard, but I am having trouble driving the aircraft, rubbing my belly, and picking my nose at the same time. I'm not good at physically multitasking anymore. Don't get old!

i had a t16000 stick. it twist worked with a-4 NWS just fine. brakes were on hotas. i have just recently starting using pedals.

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

I am using a VKB Gladiator. Trying to figure out the best right/left brake setup.  Also, I fly the P-51. I have no trouble taxi on a grass airfield field. But, as soon as I get on a large paved regular field, I'm all over place and eventually out of control.  Again, I only take off on the runway with the P-51. I have no trouble taking off or landing with either aircraft. Just taxi. 

5 minutes ago, 4eyes said:

I am using a VKB Gladiator. Trying to figure out the best right/left brake setup.  Also, I fly the P-51. I have no trouble taxi on a grass airfield field. But, as soon as I get on a large paved regular field, I'm all over place and eventually out of control.  Again, I only take off on the runway with the P-51. I have no trouble taking off or landing with either aircraft. Just taxi. 

unfortunately the problem with using buttons for brakes is the instant all on or all off. brakes are meant to be axes. think of driving a car and every time you press brake your tires lock up. 

• Like 2

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain