A-4E-C Nose Wheel Steering missing.

GBU10

8 hours ago, Andrew8604 said:

Just wish we had an angled-deck, Essex-class like the Hancock or Oriskany to operate off of, though.  The Clemenceau is about the best substitute.

hi. what about the forrestal? though officially it was the first "supercarrier". historically speaking this was in vietnam but the fire incident cut her duty short.

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

You can understand where I am coming form.  I can't use rudder peddles. So that leaves my VKB Stick.  Nothing I have tried feels comfortable. I need to hang onto the stick, have access to left/right brake, the standard brake (W), and throttle all at the same time in order to taxi. 

12 hours ago, 4eyes said:

You can understand where I am coming form.  I can't use rudder peddles. So that leaves my VKB Stick.  Nothing I have tried feels comfortable. I need to hang onto the stick, have access to left/right brake, the standard brake (W), and throttle all at the same time in order to taxi. 

I understand. I went without pedals until recently. So it is possible in DCS by using just your hands. Honestly I always felt it easier to use a twist.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Using the twist, braking right/left, braking, and using the throttle all at the same time is very physically difficult for me.   That's why I would like to see a simple braking option for the Skyhawk Mod.  Looking back at all the A4-E Skyhawk threads, I see a awfull lot of people getting frustrated and dropping the aircraft.  Too bad, because I love to fly and use it. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 4eyes said:

Using the twist, braking right/left, braking, and using the throttle all at the same time is very physically difficult for me.   That's why I would like to see a simple braking option for the Skyhawk Mod.  Looking back at all the A4-E Skyhawk threads, I see a awfull lot of people getting frustrated and dropping the aircraft.  Too bad, because I love to fly and use it. 

If you have a twin throttle, you could maybe use one for throttle and one for brakes, and if there was a checkbox on the A-4E-C to allow option of nose wheel steering, then you could use stick twist for rudder/nose wheel steering.  This would also work for the MiG-21, as the real thing only has a single brake lever on the stick, not toe-brakes on the rudder pedals.  It does not have nose wheel steering but by applying rudder in combination with brakes, it gives differential braking...or at least that's the way it behaves in M3's MiG-21bis.  I've sat in a real MiG-21U, I know it has no toe brakes and has a brake lever on the stick.  Or, if you have a CH Throttle Quadrant with 6 analog levers, you could set one for throttle and two next to it for left and right brakes.  Another option could be the Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, which has 6 levers and 7 toggle switches and a landing gear lever and flaps switch.  VKB stick doesn't have twist, does it?  But the A-4E-C Community programmers can only do what they have time and knowledge to do.  It used to have nose wheel steering.  I hope they can add the coding for a checkbox option to have it either way.

On 8/28/2022 at 2:28 PM, silverdevil said:

hi. what about the forrestal? though officially it was the first "supercarrier". historically speaking this was in vietnam but the fire incident cut her duty short.

I do use the Forrestal.  It's great!  But it has so much acreage!  My A-4E gets lost. LOL Hopefully, Supercarrier's features can be added to the Forrestal (or vise versa) and a few other carriers...like the LSO crew and Catapult crew.  I'd like to see many more features for Supercarrier...or a new module I would call Carrier Battle Group.  But I'm thinking of posting that in the DCS Supercarrier Wishlist.  Like, after landing, where's the guy that runs out (sometimes with a bar) to ensure the arrestor cable gets free of the hook, and the one that directs you off the landing area and into the parking area (or to the next director/handler)?

In the same way as it's amazing how many features are packed into the little A-4, it's cool how so many jets (even the big A-3B Skywarrior) could operate off that little Essex-class ship.  They go together:  A-4 with F-8, A-3, A-1, E-1 and H-2...and later the A-7.

The reason NWS was removed might be related to the FM. I don't know. 🤷🏼‍♂️

In any case. The TM TWCS throttle is a perfect fit for Skyhawk with its paddle you can use as rudder, (way better than twist), brakes or both with modifiers. 

Another cheap easy solution could be an Xbox controller for ground/deck ops. Just put it away while in the air. Get it second hand. Get another cheap joystick. 

On second thought while I was writing this. If you do already have a joystick with twist you use for rudders. Use it as toebrakes with a modifier. 

All I have is the VKB Gladiator Stick.  Single Thruster. How would I go about using the twist as a toebreak with a modifier?  Is there a way to use the twist for a rudder and left/right brake at the same time?

If I find a TM TWC how would I set that up? 

I don't want to go back to a older version like 5.1 becuase I would lose the new Bombing Computing setting, which I am really liking.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2022 at 5:44 AM, Ithronwise said:

I also have Logitech rudder pedals, but I have no trouble steering the A-4 precisely. I control the little bird by short, alternating kicks to the left and right toe brakes. If you try to stand on the left or right toe brake to force the plane in the direction you want to go, you will lose that battle.

Good for you. I find it $%#@! annoying. I agree there should have been an option for it because although all the real rudder pedals in the real A-4E are probably just fine not all simulation pedals and sim flyers are created equal.

• Like 2

Asus ROG HERO / i9-13900K / 6GHZ /32GB DDR5 6400/ Asus RTX 3090 Ti OC / Samsung SSDs - 2*990 Pro 2TB / PiMax 8KX HMD / Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + 4 MFDs + Logitech Rudders on Next Level Racing Rig with Buttkicker Gamer Plus

1 hour ago, mmcintosh said:

Good for you. I find it $%#@! annoying. I agree there should have been an option for it because although all the real rudder pedals in the real A-4E are probably just fine not all simulation pedals and sim flyers are created equal.

Did you have set deadzones for the toe brakes of the Logitech Rudders in the A-4E-C control settings? I have deadzones of 25 on both toe brakes. This prevents the Skyhawk brakes from reacting to the slightest movement of the feet, what would resulting in unwanted moves to the left or to the right. So, you have to hit the brakes short and hard to steer the plane. This is much easier than trying to steer the aircraft by gently kicking the toe brakes.

ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming, AMD Ryzen 3800X, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 6800 XT, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 250 GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 1 TB (DCS World), Gigabyte G27QC Gaming Monitor, DelanClip Gamer, WINWING F-16EX Metal Flightstick with Orion2 Joystick Base, WINWING F-15EX II Metal Throttle with Orion2 Throttle Base, WINWING PTO 2 Take Off Panel, VIRPIL Controls Ace Flight Pedals, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, Windows 10 Pro

38 minutes ago, Ithronwise said:

Did you have set deadzones for the toe brakes of the Logitech Rudders in the A-4E-C control settings? I have deadzones of 25 on both toe brakes. This prevents the Skyhawk brakes from reacting to the slightest movement of the feet, what would resulting in unwanted moves to the left or to the right. So, you have to hit the brakes short and hard to steer the plane. This is much easier than trying to steer the aircraft by gently kicking the toe brakes.

i have deadzones under my table, which physicly dont let me push pedals all the way, cause thereis a wall. i am the person who put dead zones and curves to max input as possible. this option really needed.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/17/2022 at 11:32 AM, UN9249 said:

i have deadzones under my table, which physicly dont let me push pedals all the way, cause thereis a wall. i am the person who put dead zones and curves to max input as possible. this option really needed.

I am deeply sorry for you. In this case you are right, it would be necessary to have an option for an alternative nose wheel steering.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming, AMD Ryzen 3800X, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 6800 XT, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 250 GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 1 TB (DCS World), Gigabyte G27QC Gaming Monitor, DelanClip Gamer, WINWING F-16EX Metal Flightstick with Orion2 Joystick Base, WINWING F-15EX II Metal Throttle with Orion2 Throttle Base, WINWING PTO 2 Take Off Panel, VIRPIL Controls Ace Flight Pedals, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, Windows 10 Pro

• 4 months later...

Just adding to this as I recently started learning this great mod and was unable to continue because of this issue. *If* you have a spare axis on your control setup then they might be usable, but if you have no extra axes available it is simply not possible to precisely steer this plane on the ground in tight spaces. Given this, and also the evidence that difficulty with ground steering meant a lot of handling on carriers was done with the assistance of ground crew, I think it is the wrong decision by the developers not to offer users any other options here.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
8 minutes ago, Heyjax said:

I can use differential braking but it turns in a wide arc, how would this work on an aircraft carrier?

You drive slowly so you don't skid across the deck. The slower you are, the more narrow your turning circle gets. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...