P-51 Carb Air Controls

chris455

You can perform quick check if ram air works or not, in flight drop MP below 42" i set mine 30'-35" then cycle your cold air control and watch your MP if you can see change in MP then you are good if not that mean your ram air not working

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

The ram air usually takes effect rather up high to be noticable. eg if you approach the 2nd supercharger stage our around 30k feet.
if you go full speed on rpm and mp, the mp will never reach the red mark when approaching above stages.
youll notice the mp will degrade with height.

if you wiggle ram air back and forth youll notice that it does have an effect on the mp.

this ghetto fix still might not work with keybuttons. i use the virtual levers.

Edited by Doughguy

@Doughguy @352nd_Hoss Ram air effect is the most noticeable in gap between 1st supercharger speed crit alt and 2nd supercharger kick in alt and above 2nd supercharger speed crit alt which is around 26k-27k.

But in order to test if ram air works, you don't need to climb there, you can check ram air at SL, you just need to have your MP outside of boost control range which is below 41-42 inch.

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• 3 weeks later...

Just been in the instant action dogfight dora mission, the ram and filtered air are in the aft position, i do not have any controllers set for these controls, this is how they are set at mission start, is this correct or has something been overlooked in the mission setup

Thing is that levers in cockpit are disconnected from devices which are controlled by them, it is impossible to tell from cockpit do ram air is on or off.

On 1/4/2022 at 6:36 PM, kablamoman said:

Not sure if you're aware but if you bind it directly to a key without fixing the lua problem the lever in the cockpit will move, but you won't get the actual system changes (ie. no ram air boost).

The proper way to fix it is to simply change 2 single digit numbers in the lua, then you can properly bind it to a key or button and get the proper response.

Here is the fix:

Open the file: \Mods\aircraft\P-51D\Cockpit\Scripts\clickabledata.lua

Search for the following lines:

elements["pnt_134"] = default_movable_axis(_("Carburetor Cold Air Control"),devices.ENGINE_SYSTEM, device_commands.Button_8, 134, 0.1 )
elements["pnt_135"] = default_movable_axis(_("Carburetor Warm Air Control"),devices.ENGINE_SYSTEM, device_commands.Button_28, 135, 0.1 )

Change the underlined variable to the following and then save the file:

device_commands.Button_7

device_commands.Button_27

It is literally as simple as changing an 8 to a 7 (two instances). @NineLine can we get this one pushed through, already??

1 month later from this post and another new update introduced.... and they even haven't changed this???!!🙈🙉🙊

• Like 2

A simple Human being's Passion

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

• 1 month later...