TIP: Never use mouse or trackball in DCS / VR again ! Control mouse with joystick

winghunter

Sadly DCS does not allow to assign any joystick axis to control the mouse cursor directly. But there is a little software that does the trick.

If you have i.e. a TM 16000 throttle, you can use the little analog stick for moving the mouse, and its click to emulate a mouse left click. This allows you to navigate all DCS menus and also interact with cockpit instruments.

I typically place the mouse cursor 20° downwards of center of view. This allows me to look at all cockpit controls and engage them with a joystick button. I can move the mouse cursor with the throttle analog stick.

image.png

You need https://joytokey.net/en/download

This are my settings. Now you can control everything in DCS without ever touching the mouse. Also assigned the rudder pedals of the trottle to mouse scroll as I have no use for them.

In options, you should change the threshold for your axis down to 1% or so, as the default threshold has a very high dead zone of 10%.

image.png

Edited by winghunter
  • Like 2

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

I also use Joy2key as you describe with a rotary on a button box so I can move the mouse cursor up and down if needed to save my neck! Another rotary is used for mouse wheel.

Plus I have a button mapped on my stick to recentre the mouse (again using Joy2Key - absolute mouse position 50:50), this could also be used to drop the mouse down slightly by changing the Y value

• Like 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat