Suggestion: Cloud saving logbook

fagulha

Hey all,

As stated, a game/sim who connects to the internet nowadays like DCS could have a kind of Logbook cloud sync saved progress.

I think it will be a more than useful feature.

Thank you and Merry Christmas to all users and ED staff.

Cheers from Lisbon, Porutgal.

F.

• Like 2

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Not sure if this is a good idea. During a mission, I accidentally shot down a friendly aircraft. It was treated as a fratricide and, IIRC, my score was reset.

Fortunately, I had a copy of the logbook and was able to sweep that regrettable incident under the rug 🙂

Which might not be possible if the logbook is cloud-synced.

• ED Team

12 minutes ago, fagulha said:

Hey all,

As stated, a game/sim who connects to the internet nowadays like DCS could have a kind of Logbook cloud sync saved progress.

I think it will be a more than useful feature.

Thank you and Merry Christmas to all users and ED staff.

Cheers from Lisbon, Porutgal.

F.

Hi fagulha,

it is a good suggestion, maybe something for the future. 

Have a good holiday season

thanks

Bignewy

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

9 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi fagulha,

it is a good suggestion, maybe something for the future. 

Have a good holiday season

thanks

Bignewy

Hi @BIGNEWY hope so! Althought not my idea (a user suggest me on FB) i decided to post here so you can have a look at it.

Thank you for all you work and help.

Have a good holiday season too!

Best regards,

F.

Edited by fagulha

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

41 minutes ago, Hog_driver said:

Not sure if this is a good idea. During a mission, I accidentally shot down a friendly aircraft. It was treated as a fratricide and, IIRC, my score was reset.

Fortunately, I had a copy of the logbook and was able to sweep that regrettable incident under the rug 🙂

Fix for a problem that not exist yet: I´m sure there will be a option to reload/choose to a previous date or something of that sort 🙂

Edited by fagulha

I myself rather wonder if it's worth it, really, without doing a bit of a revamp of how the logbooks work in the first place. Sure there isn't any harm in it, but why bother with needing the shelf space in the cloud and the administrative hassle with it, when a) you are the only one to ever look at your logbook to begin with b) it doesn't contain that much interesting information - this might be a matter of opinion but to me only the hours flown is all that relevant and that gets easily skewed by the fact that only single player missions count, and c) with it being local you can copy, backup and edit it to your heart's contend.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kang said:

I myself rather wonder if it's worth it, really, without doing a bit of a revamp of how the logbooks work in the first place. Sure there isn't any harm in it, but why bother with needing the shelf space in the cloud and the administrative hassle with it, when a) you are the only one to ever look at your logbook to begin with b) it doesn't contain that much interesting information - this might be a matter of opinion but to me only the hours flown is all that relevant and that gets easily skewed by the fact that only single player missions count, and c) with it being local you can copy, backup and edit it to your heart's contend.

It all comes to imagination of each one of us. Logbook App is a good example, where i can see my stats and it have also a greenie board (shared with the app users) where i can see my landings stats and learn from it, so, something similar in the DCS core might be more useful than you think.

48 minutes ago, fagulha said:

It all comes to imagination of each one of us. Logbook App is a good example, where i can see my stats and it have also a greenie board (shared with the app users) where i can see my landings stats and learn from it, so, something similar in the DCS core might be more useful than you think.

This is probably a better angle to approach it from. If it's just stats syncing between installs, any old existing cloud solution will do that already — just link the directory in. On its own, it's not creating a whole lot of effect for what would require a fair amount of back-end infrastructure work on the server side. The question is rather, what other opportunities and uses would it open up that would potentially benefit a larger segment of players in a larger set of situations.

Some open APi to pull these kinds of stats from a central source? Metrics for the campaign, mission, and server developers to see how their stuff is used? Or just as an excuse to harden the logbook functionality a bit since it's… not entirely reliable? 😛 

Edited by Tippis
  • Like 1

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Fortunately, I had a copy of the logbook and was able to sweep that regrettable incident under the rug
My score is only reset for the mission, not my whole history.
Did your historic score got wiped?

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

My score is only reset for the mission, not my whole history.
Did your historic score got wiped?

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Frankly, I don't remember, it was a few years ago (and then I started making backups of the log). I just remember it was something serious and I didn't like it 🙂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Cloud based logbook would be great. My logbook is currently an inaccurate mess because I bounce back and forth between two machines. Migrating to a fresh DCS install would be simplified as well.

Expanding the logbook to include day/night traps would also be appreciated.

Edited by Hinkey
  • Like 2