Splash Damage 2.0 script (make explosions better!)

1 hour ago, markturner1960 said:

Sorry, I have looked but cant find how to load the script within the mission editor? It has to be loaded manually into every mission you want the new effects in, is that correct? 

Create a mission start under triggers (i think it's what it's called) to run the script file for each mission you want to use it with.

Can you be a bit more specific please? I cant see any options or drop downs or choices in anything in the ME that has to do with triggers? 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Can you be a bit more specific please? I cant see any options or drop downs or choices in anything in the ME that has to do with triggers? 
The trigger icon looks like a switch in a circuit diagram. Left side of the ME. Am away from pc at the moment unfortunately.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

Trigger icon:

image.png.cc91b7c70ff3d1c49146165427fca117.png

Then add the trigger (new trigger - mission start) )and specify the script file on the actions (don't worry about the trigger name)

image.thumb.png.56e92bdf821fa5e725333bc5de50e78c.png

Edited by zildac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

Perfect, thanks Zildac! Where does the .lua file go?

Edited by markturner1960

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

7 minutes ago, markturner1960 said:

Perfect, thanks Zildac! Where does the .lua file go?

You can put the LUA file wherever you like on the filesystem, I believe it gets "imported" into the miz file so even if you delete it or move it at a later date it doesn't matter. When you select the "Do Script" action, it will ask you for the location of the LUA file.

Edited by zildac

👍 trying it now!!

• Like 1

And its working, thanks all! 

• Like 2

Anyway to display damage done with the splash damage like the direct hit display?

Currently damage is only displayed on the right with a hit that would damage the target without the script installed, which is fine but it'd be nice to have some damage feedback on screen of the damage being done by the splash also

Usually in real life splash damage would only be seen a little bit, for a fraction of a second, only if close to the target... close enough to be injured yourself. At a distance there's nothing to see... plus, that's only for high amounts of large/heavy fragmentation , like a GMLRS or 155mm artillery shell, smaller ordnance frag is  near invisible. Fragmentation comes in different sizes, to accomplish different goals in smaller and larger devices. Even with handgrenades, the WW2 Mills or Pineaple frag is HUGE, while a M-67 with notched wire is downright tiny pieces that don't seem like they'd do much of anything.

That said, I'd really like to see a different project get started with more varried and random interesting secondary explosions... 

Edited by Rick50
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Grimm - Thanks for this!  I am playing around with the script for a heli mission I am tinkering with.  I downloaded the script from the OP.  BUT ... i noticed that the download from page 2 where you added the rocket multipliers is different from the OP (but named the same).  Is that intentional?  

You may want to simply keep that first post current and direct folks there to avoid unnecessary confusion from us fans of your work.

Thanks!!

• Like 1

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Grimm!

I have utilized your modified explosion script in my own mission. The effect is absolutely impressive! Thank you for bringing us such a realistic modification! 

However I do find that the script seems not to work very well with my WWII missions, specifically B-17s and Ju.88s. I have set the AIs to perform a high altitude level bombing, and I have ordered them to drop all bombs on target. The first part of the bomb load dropped out of the aircraft just fine, but the bombs coming out last exploded while still within the bomb bay, destroying the whole bomber formation. I have tested using the vanilla game, it does not cause this issue using my current AI set-up. I wonder if it is possible for you to have a look at this issue and thank you in advance!

image.png

Edited by MsKatze

@Grimm

I just want to express my gratitude to you for this masterpiece.  I am getting back into fast movers (Viper) and setting up training scenarios on the new SA map.  Having a blast (pun intended).  🤪

I hadn't initially included your script in these missions and was a bit disappointed in how little impact damage some of the ordinance was having on tightly grouped trucks, APCs, etc.  Then I remembered your script.  Once I added, the damage was night and day.  Now when an LGB, or Cluster, or even a dumb bomb impacts, there's a real damage radius along with secondary explosions as targets cook off.

Love it!  😍

Edited by Mistermann
  • Like 2

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

On 6/19/2022 at 2:24 AM, MsKatze said:

Hi, Grimm!

I have utilized your modified explosion script in my own mission. The effect is absolutely impressive! Thank you for bringing us such a realistic modification! 

However I do find that the script seems not to work very well with my WWII missions, specifically B-17s and Ju.88s. I have set the AIs to perform a high altitude level bombing, and I have ordered them to drop all bombs on target. The first part of the bomb load dropped out of the aircraft just fine, but the bombs coming out last exploded while still within the bomb bay, destroying the whole bomber formation. I have tested using the vanilla game, it does not cause this issue using my current AI set-up. I wonder if it is possible for you to have a look at this issue and thank you in advance!

image.png

That looks fine.

Jk.  I'd be interested in having a look if you can provide the .miz?  Not sure off hand how the script would cause this to happen.

I have used this script extensively during my Viper “training” and it has me wondering a bit … please realize this is coming from someone who’s never seen combat, let alone A2G combat. 

I have a mission where I am bombing an airport with lots of targets around the runway.  These are mostly “soft” targets (trucks).  Below is a diagram of how I have this setup.

image.png

When I drop ordinance targeting the leftmost Ural-375 or the rightmost Ural-4320 it often takes out all 7 trucks.  Not all at once as the outermost trucks tend to take damage and cookoff over a small amount of time.  Sometimes, the blast even takes out the SKP-11.

This is extremely satisfying, BTW.  I, however, am wondering how to tone down the effect a bit.  Instead of going in and changing every weapon in the explTable, I am thinking about implementing a reduction factor in the global variables just to make it easy to maintain.

I believe I have the proper place in the script to modify below.  This code is contained in the blastWave function.

image.png

It appears to me that the author already has a power factor getting applied to the blast wave.  If I read the code right (I haven’t coded in ages, so might be wrong), they are taking the “power” from the explTable for the specific weapon used and then manipulating it in order to reduce the effectiveness. 

For instance, let’s say I am dropping a Mk-84.

image.png

Looking at the table, it has a power setting of 582.

The “scaled power_factor” variable therefore becomes (0.006 * 582 + 1) = 4.492

This number is then used to calculate intensity, surface damage, explosion size, etc.

So two questions

1 - Can anyone explain why the 0.006 factor was chosen?  I suspect trial and error.  This variable appears to be exactly what I am trying to add so I think I can simply edit it to a smaller number to drive down the intensity.

2 - What does the number 582 mean in the explTable?  When I look online at the explosive on this particular ordinance it says 945lbs (=428kg), so I am just curious where this number comes from.  [Answer:  After searching around the internet, this number appears to be the "TNT Equivalent" number in Kg published in various places]

For those who lasted through this thread thanks for reading.  Anyone with answers, thank you in advance.

Edited by Mistermann
Answered question #2

System Specs:

Spoiler

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

I took the Red Pill and fell into the rabbit hole of blast radius based on TNT equivalents.  I was hoping to find a site that would allow me to type in TNT amount and spit out some radius estimates around lethality.  As a PSA, here's a site (from the United Nations) that may help anyone who's swallowed the same pill.  💊

https://unsaferguard.org/un-saferguard/blast-damage-estimation

Here's the results for the MK-84 and variants

image.png

image.png

Edited by Mistermann

System Specs:

Spoiler

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi

Nice work

i am collecting some weapons name from DCS logs to had few ones mssing from new mirage f1 for example

Regarding the explTable values: are they related to total weight or when available the warhead weight?

also when i enable missing weapon option i got error message that is stoping the mission until i acknowledge the log message, is there a way to make logs silent and get only in game message for missing weapon?

• 1 month later...

I extended the script with some other weapons that were missing:

["AGM_65D"] = 130,
  ["AGM_65E"] = 300,
  ["AGM_65F"] = 300,
  ["AGM_65H"] = 300,
  ["AGM_65K"] = 300,
  ["AGM_65L"] = 300,
  ["HOT3"] = 15,
  ["AGR_20A"] = 8,
  ["AGR_20_M282"] = 8,                          -- A10C APKWS
  ["GBU_54_V_1B"] = 118,
  ["CBU_52B"] = 32,                             -- CBUs
  ["CBU_87"] = 32,
  ["CBU_97"] = 32,
  ["CBU_99"] = 32,
  ["ROCKEYE"] = 32,
  ["MATRA_F4_SNEBT251"] = 8,                    -- Mirage F1 Section
  ["MATRA_F4_SNEBT253"] = 8,
  ["MATRA_F4_SNEBT256"] = 8,
  ["MATRA_F1_SNEBT253"] = 8,
  ["MATRA_F1_SNEBT256"] = 8,
  ["SAMP400LD"] = 274,
  ["SAMP400HD"] = 274,
  ["SAMP250HD"] = 118,
  ["BLU107B_DURANDAL"] = 274,
  ["FFAR Mk5 HEAT"] = 8,                        -- Rockets
  ["FFAR Mk1 HE"] = 8,
  ["C5"] = 8                                    -- Mig19P Rockets

Splash_Damage_2.lua

Edited by leonardo_c
code tags
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

On 10/4/2022 at 1:04 AM, leonardo_c said:

I extended the script with some other weapons that were missing:

["AGM_65D"] = 130,
  ["AGM_65E"] = 300,
  ["AGM_65F"] = 300,
  ["AGM_65H"] = 300,
  ["AGM_65K"] = 300,
  ["AGM_65L"] = 300,
  ["HOT3"] = 15,
  ["AGR_20A"] = 8,
  ["AGR_20_M282"] = 8,                          -- A10C APKWS
  ["GBU_54_V_1B"] = 118,
  ["CBU_52B"] = 32,                             -- CBUs
  ["CBU_87"] = 32,
  ["CBU_97"] = 32,
  ["CBU_99"] = 32,
  ["ROCKEYE"] = 32,
  ["MATRA_F4_SNEBT251"] = 8,                    -- Mirage F1 Section
  ["MATRA_F4_SNEBT253"] = 8,
  ["MATRA_F4_SNEBT256"] = 8,
  ["MATRA_F1_SNEBT253"] = 8,
  ["MATRA_F1_SNEBT256"] = 8,
  ["SAMP400LD"] = 274,
  ["SAMP400HD"] = 274,
  ["SAMP250HD"] = 118,
  ["BLU107B_DURANDAL"] = 274,
  ["FFAR Mk5 HEAT"] = 8,                        -- Rockets
  ["FFAR Mk1 HE"] = 8,
  ["C5"] = 8                                    -- Mig19P Rockets

Splash_Damage_2.lua 19.98 kB · 16 downloads

AGM-65H=AGM-65D≠AGM-65E/F/K/L

The value of AMG65 is not very correct. A missile can kill 4 vehicles include 2*T72, When AGM-65H=300.

The correct value of AMG65 is Warhead weighs 58.7 kg (charge mass 37.6 kg)——AGM-65H=AGM-65D=38      

65H-4k.png

Edited by Cpt_Deep
  • Like 1