What would be missing if HB were to model the F-14B (U) and F-14D today?

DSplayer

On 12/23/2021 at 5:11 PM, DSplayer said:

But I'm curious what would be missing if Heatblur were to model the F-14D and F-14B (U) using the information that they have today?

If you can find a copy of NAVAIR 01−F14AAD−1A NATOPS manual and give it to heatblur without getting arrested you can have your F-14B(U)...also technically F-14D but what is very classified is that thing's IRST system which later went on to form the basis for Lockheed martin's new Legion TGP. However to reiterate, you find a copy of NAVAIR 01−F14AAD−1A, you can have your F-14B(U).

• Like 1

I really doubt DCS models IR well enough for it to matter more than doing what the SU-27 does, more or less. 

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

2 hours ago, Uxi said:

I really doubt DCS models IR well enough for it to matter more than doing what the SU-27 does, more or less. 

They do plan on overhauling the IR modeling in general so that might allow for better and more realistic IRST integration in the future. Who knows, maybe the soon to be F-4 will be one of the first high fidelity modules to include an IRST.

3 hours ago, Southernbear said:

If you can find a copy of NAVAIR 01−F14AAD−1A NATOPS manual and give it to heatblur without getting arrested you can have your F-14B(U)...also technically F-14D but what is very classified is that thing's IRST system which later went on to form the basis for Lockheed martin's new Legion TGP. However to reiterate, you find a copy of NAVAIR 01−F14AAD−1A, you can have your F-14B(U).

Smh I can find on on google by googling /s. When 10th gen fighters start rolling out, maybe we'll see an F-14D or F-14B (U). Maybe HeatBlur should partner with IndiaFoxtEcho since IndiaFoxtEcho made an F-14D mod for FSX

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

1 hour ago, DSplayer said:

Who knows, maybe the soon to be F-4 will be one of the first high fidelity modules to include an IRST.

I'm pretty sure F-4 we get will most likely be a later 70s or maybe even an 80s bird. Only the earliest F-4s had an IRST, which as far as I know didn't prove to be much good, and quickly made away with in following versions. That said, upcoming F-8 and MiG-23MLA should both have IRST sensors as far as I know.

As for the topic of this thread, Heatblur already gives us a module with F-14B, F-14A early and late, and a very early Iranian F-14A. That's 4 variants already. I'd much rather see them make different aircraft. Much, much later down the line after they give us multiple new airframes, and if relevant information became available, then maybe why not.

Rather than seeing more and newer F-14s, I'd love to see multiple different F-4 variants for example. Or perhaps to see them tackle a Soviet era bird like Su-17 or MiG-27. Or Draken, Jaguar, etc.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Raymarine market a FLIR for boats that has somewhat similar functions as the IRST

It has IR search and track in both IR video and thermal imaging, can link to the radar and track plotter/chart and using AIS identify what other ships, buoys, or unidentified targets are around you.

FLIR M500 Ultra High Performance Multi-Sensor Camera System | Teledyne FLIR

The gyro-stabilized FLIR M500 cooled thermal camera is our most technologically-advanced M-Series pan and tilt camera ever. Designed around a cryogenically-cooled 640 x 512 pixel Mid Wave Infrared (MWIR) thermal sensor, the FLIR M500 excels at both short and ultra-long range target detection and identification. It features a 14X continuous optical thermal zoom, a color HD camera with 30x zoom, an LED spot-beam, video tracking and radar integration.

This is available on the commercial market, expensive, yes, but they are being fitted to motor yachts and getting more popular retrofitted to older yachts.

Edited by Alicatt

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

1 hour ago, Gypsy 1-1 said:

Yeah, there needs to be a FLIR rework first and it being affected by clouds, atmosphere and rpecip. to be somewhat realistic. 

Here is an article about thermal IR and how it works in different types of fog, it is in reference to the equipment in the link I posted above, it does put some numbers to the results.

Can Thermal Imaging See Through Fog and Rain? | Teledyne FLIR

According to these models, the thermal IR band offers better range performance compared to the visual band in Cat I and Cat II fog. As such, thermal IR cameras are well suited to help users see through these types of fog. The models also suggest that thermal imaging cameras are potentially useful as landing aids for airplanes or as part of driver vision enhancement systems for the transportation and automotive industry.

• Thanks 1

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

On 12/24/2021 at 3:54 PM, Uxi said:

It would be awesome!  I'd be happy with the F-14B with Sparrowhawk and PTID.  That would rock.  F-14D is another animal.

"A New Breed" as the patch says...!

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

16 hours ago, DSplayer said:

They do plan on overhauling the IR modeling in general so that might allow for better and more realistic IRST integration in the future. Who knows, maybe the soon to be F-4 will be one of the first high fidelity modules to include an IRST.

Oh yeah there's lots of plans but not exactly expected in the short term.  We don't have moving clouds yet much less moisture layers, thermal updrafts, etc.  Rain, fog banks, etc should all be a factor and integrated in.  

15 hours ago, WinterH said:

I'm pretty sure F-4 we get will most likely be a later 70s or maybe even an 80s bird. Only the earliest F-4s had an IRST, which as far as I know didn't prove to be much good, and quickly made away with in following versions. That said, upcoming F-8 and MiG-23MLA should both have IRST sensors as far as I know.

The early version on the F-14A would interest me much more than an F-4 thigh F-14D would be the ultimate IRST before next gen on Super Hornet, Legion pod etc. 

For purposes on a hypothetical F-14D though getting way ahead of ourselves since the engine doesn't support that level of detail nor is likely to in the near or even intermediate future. 

• Like 1

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

On 12/25/2021 at 4:28 AM, DSplayer said:

Smh I can find on on google by googling /s. 

Can you? Are you sure it's not F-14AAD-1 without the A on the end? Does it include Chapters 31-36 and 39 and the functionality data for the AN/AAS-42? I'm sure we, Heatblur, and the US Navy would love to have a link to it.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

1 hour ago, Swordsman422 said:

Can you? Are you sure it's not F-14AAD-1 without the A on the end? Does it include Chapters 31-36 and 39 and the functionality data for the AN/AAS-42? I'm sure we, Heatblur, and the US Navy would love to have a link to it.

The /s means sarcasm mode.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

• 4 months later...

JayHawk1971 made the right point. If the creators of the module have to think through some of the functions, then why do they need to do this for the F-14D, and not for the F-14D+? I, probably, like any newbie, having tried models A and B, would like to get a more modern aircraft. But given the year the F-14A was created, its functionality is amazing. Where I'm from, familiar aircraft such as the Su-27 and MiG-29, which are now participating in real battles. And I understand how much they lack the functionality that was the F-14A and B. But the Su-27S and MiG-29 9-13 appeared later than the Tomcat. Probably, when this aircraft entered service with the Navy, the technologies used in it were indeed space-age for that time. And now there is a dissonance in my head. On the one hand, we have an ultra-modern aircraft at the time of its creation. On the other hand, an outdated aircraft, which simply did not begin to be modernized in the future. We can only fantasize about the functionality of the modern F-14X. So that he could be next to such aircraft as the F-16V, F-18E / F and F-15EX. I bet - the F-14 would be the most advanced and could attack air targets for hundreds of nautical miles.

I love the smell of morning Crimean cotton. This is the smell of victory.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2022 at 6:22 PM, ThunderStrike said:

JayHawk1971 made the right point. If the creators of the module have to think through some of the functions, then why do they need to do this for the F-14D, and not for the F-14D+? I, probably, like any newbie, having tried models A and B, would like to get a more modern aircraft. But given the year the F-14A was created, its functionality is amazing. Where I'm from, familiar aircraft such as the Su-27 and MiG-29, which are now participating in real battles. And I understand how much they lack the functionality that was the F-14A and B. But the Su-27S and MiG-29 9-13 appeared later than the Tomcat. Probably, when this aircraft entered service with the Navy, the technologies used in it were indeed space-age for that time. And now there is a dissonance in my head. On the one hand, we have an ultra-modern aircraft at the time of its creation. On the other hand, an outdated aircraft, which simply did not begin to be modernized in the future. We can only fantasize about the functionality of the modern F-14X. So that he could be next to such aircraft as the F-16V, F-18E / F and F-15EX. I bet - the F-14 would be the most advanced and could attack air targets for hundreds of nautical miles.

Because quite frankly, to be blunt, Heatblur holds itself to a standard higher then most other DCS developers, with the IRST being a basic but important feature of the F-14D, Heatblur is not willing (for their own in house modules anyway) to compromise what so ever, thus if we miss the information, then we won't get the plane.

The aircraft is equipped with the base components and software that would go on to form the basis for the F-35's Legion TGP as well as the AGP-71 radar which despite how much Razzlebazzle might try to say otherwise, there has been compromises on the F-15E's radar performance just like with the F-16, 15 and 18 so its not like HB could just "use the F-15E's radar code" 

• Like 4