F16 current state

john4pap

I'm thinking of getting this bird but I'm wondering of its current state. I know it's still early access. Is it any good yet or am I going to be fighting learning of its bugs while trying to learn how to fly it?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Eagle Dynamic has a free to play project going on. You can download the F-16 and try for free for period of two weeks. This will help you decide if you want to have it add to your hangar in its current state.
I am one of those that got the early access of the F-16 in it's barebone state and no regret then because I like the viper. That is me though.
Some new features are also coming for the viper in the openbeta update this week if all goes well

Sent from my XQ-AT52 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

The current state of the module is pretty great and the updates are coming at a good pace, however flying the Viper in DCS is an acquired taste due to the dampening and many people use negative curves to make it feel responsive in roll, even in Cat 1. Make sure to thoroughly test this during the trial.

4 hours ago, john4pap said:

I'm thinking of getting this bird but I'm wondering of its current state. I know it's still early access. Is it any good yet or am I going to be fighting learning of its bugs while trying to learn how to fly it?

Get it and you won´t regret it. The F-16C is so much fun and as Furiz already said it´s getting a lot of love now. In my book ED has done a fantastic job this year to get this module to a state which is quite enjoyable I have to say. And you also might want to know that the Viper is really easy to learn and fly so again, you can´t really go wrong buying it. Get yourself a nice little Christmas present and join the dark side… 🤣

Well, at the moment I wouldn't dive deep into forums to check whether systems of which I know virtually nothing about are working as intended or to the extend they're working atm. Neither do I feel that a two-week trial would allow me to learn the airplane and understand how much of it is complete.

It's very good to hear that the bird is getting a lot of love and that all of you recommend it.

@WobblyFlopsDo you mean there's something wrong with the flight model atm? Or the curve hasn't been fine-tuned by default?

@Tango3BExactly my thought. Grown men still need Christmas presents 🙂

Thank you all guys

2 minutes ago, john4pap said:

Do you mean there's something wrong with the flight model atm? Or the curve hasn't been fine-tuned by default?

I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with it, and it's not the flight model per se but rather the dampened response in roll. To me it almost feels like the hardcoded curves (and/or deadzone) to the FLCS are too agressive. In the Viper, using positive curves is not recommended due to this fact at all and in fact many people either use a negative curve or a non linear one. If you fly it a lot you can get used to it pretty quickly but there's absolutely no harm in trying before buying. 

If it bothers you, there are ways around it with custom made curves which greatly alleviate the issue but it's definitely something to think about.

1 hour ago, john4pap said:

Or the curve hasn't been fine-tuned by default?

The F-16 is a pain in the behind to fly if you use a stick with an extension. The longer the extension, the worse it is. But the real jet doesn't work like that either, so that's to be expected if the flight model is correct.
To me, it's a joy to fly with an FSSB R3L (which still requires a lot of fine-tuning in Realsimulator's software), but not everyone is willing to spend money on an extra flight stick + base  just for 1 aircraft.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I feel like it’s in a really good state right now as well. For me, the Viper was my first hot rod in DCS, as the only modules I had at the time were the P-51 and A-10C. I bought it last April, and it had a lot less features then, but my god that bird was awesome to fly. I ran the start up tutorial to learn the basics, and then set myself up a slick wing Viper for a free flight. I started up, taxied out, pushed the throttle full forward and did things the Hog could only dream of (and emptied the tanks in 9 minutes). Cloud surfing with the new clouds is quite fun too!

More and more features have been added since then. Targeting pod, markpoints, flight model adjustments. If Wild Weasel is your thing, the HARM Targeting System has recently been added as well as a nice implementation of ECM.

I recommend it! :thumbup:

Edited by Diesel_Thunder
  • Like 1

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

9 hours ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

The F-16 is a pain in the behind to fly if you use a stick with an extension. The longer the extension, the worse it is. But the real jet doesn't work like that either, so that's to be expected if the flight model is correct.
To me, it's a joy to fly with an FSSB R3L (which still requires a lot of fine-tuning in Realsimulator's software), but not everyone is willing to spend money on an extra flight stick + base  just for 1 aircraft.

I've recently been able to buy a used FSSB. Did not invest a lot of time in setting it up curve wise since I don't know what I am looking for anyway. Would you care to share your settings?

Took me 5 days with a reasonable amount of hours to get used to. But after that AAR or formation flying in general is a different ball game. 

7 minutes ago, john4pap said:

Many thanks everyone for your replies. Just got it and is already downloading.

Happy Christmas

Give feedback please! 🙂

Merry Christmas from Lisbon, Portugal.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

On 12/24/2021 at 7:59 AM, Sinclair_76 said:

Would you care to share your settings?

Sure, here they are:

image.png

Keep in mind though that those settings are highly individual. They depend on how and where (in which position) you mounted your R3L, your arm muscle strength, ... I'd personally recommend setting the forces as stiff as possible while still manageable: your fine control will benefit from that. Too low forces and you'll end up constantly overcorrecting, leading to pilot-induced oscillations and extremely inaccurate A/A gunnery.

• Thanks 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset