Generic African map. (yes I know Africa is a continent)

Baco

Hold your horses!!! LOL.

Why Generic. Well Africa is Huge and the list of African Conflicts is Enormous. To represent them all you would need around 6 to ten maps. all huge by the way. 

Congo, Angola and South Africa being the more infamous, but there were plenty more, Algeria, Zimbabwe, Mozambique,  Rwanda, and well the list is Huge.

And even then If you wanted to center on a specific conflict, the areas are so large that no one complete theater can fin in a DCS map as it  stands today.

So the way I see it , the only way to have a reusable African theater is to have a generic map with generic climates and cities and bases that could serve to simulate at least some of the conflicts, if not in total accuracy and detail. The hard part would be to make it look realistic not falling into trivialized stereotypes of Tarzan and the like. Africa is a continent with very diverse climate and terrain, and huge cities as well as small villages, modern infrastructure and traditional farming. So to get the right feeling would not be easy.

Anyways, here it to hoping that some 3rd party wants to give it a try....

Edited by Baco
typos
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

As cool as that would be, ED would never allow it. There whole ethos is realism. Now a modded map of say the Caucuses or Syria would be fine, but you'd still need their software to Africanize it. However, there's no way in hell they'd hand it over for a vanity mod project. I honestly think the only way we're going to see Africa become a reality in DCS anytime soon, is if we put together a competent team, propose it to ED and just get on with building it ourselves. And in that case, I'd definitely go for Angola/Namibia. The area I've boxed below is about the size of Hormuz and has some epic terrain. It's also where the vast majority of fighting took place and would be the perfect hunting ground for MiGs and Mirages. Drop a little dosh on some TurboSquid models for a bonus vehicle pack and I guarantee you it will be a great seller once people see what their missing...  

Capture.png

rhino_7.jpgAB7A6807-C54C-4F45-B35C-0C0DB98C13F5DefaultHQ.jpg

rooikat_2.jpg84ADB473-269A-433B-AF3D-94F2C527FA69DefaultHQ.jpg

• Like 3

Some Dudeikoff previously proposed an awesome map-idea (more to the east, including the eastern coast), covering more countries, even though not at the heart of the Border War conflict anymore (it would feature the Namibian panhandle, though).

Can't seem to find the post anymore, unfortunately...

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

Yeah, I have thought about that. But the area I've marked is already 850 000 square kilometers. That's already a massive undertaking considering the vast majority of it is landmass and not ocean. tbh, I'd like to go as far north as Luanda, but that's a lot of extra area. Suppose we could just keep the coastal area detailed that far north though...

• Like 1

It's a Rooikat, but I believe it's 76mm. There was a "Rooikat 105" but I don't know if it was adopted or used.

Edited by EricJ

LOMAC Section| | Gaming Resume (PDF) | Gallery | Flanker2.51 Storage Site |

Also known as Flanker562 back in the day...

Steam ID EricJ562 | DCS: A-10A/C Pilot | DCS: Su-25T Pilot | Texture Artist

"...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers

I think so too, not many tanks in Africa.

• Like 1

LOMAC Section| | Gaming Resume (PDF) | Gallery | Flanker2.51 Storage Site |

Also known as Flanker562 back in the day...

Steam ID EricJ562 | DCS: A-10A/C Pilot | DCS: Su-25T Pilot | Texture Artist

"...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers