UH-1H Paradise Lost Campaign Info

16 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Stupid question, (I know...), and I'm sure I'm wrong. But double check you're actually logged into the e-shop. From time to time it logs me out. emoji2373.png.
Just happened again, and as soon as I logged in I could purchase. emoji4.png

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

After some time it was solved, so I am in mission 2 now 😀

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2021 at 6:04 PM, ctguy1955 said:

This guy does a great job of explaining everything.   Blue smoke is NOT what You were suppose to look for according to the video

You'll see 3 soldiers standing at the edge of the correct LZ. And also, Reflected told me to turn up the Gamma to see the LZ better in this mission, and that made all the difference.

Wanna now how the decision to make ‘Paradise Lost’ was made? It all started with a scooter helmet. Ok, not exactly. I’ve been a great admirer of Vietnam war helo ops for as long as I can remember. I always wanted a good Vietnam era campaign for the DCS Huey which has been one of my favorite modules. The idea was always put in the ‘maybe one day’ box, though, due to the lack of an appropriate map. Until one day I got a cheap scooter helmet that resembles helicopter helmets. I painted the insignia of the 4th Avn Bn on it and that was the straw that broke the camel’s back. That’s when I said: ok, it’s time. I don’t want to wait any longer, let’s see how I can turn this dream into reality.

271809475_669773181112261_4170513526656678672_n.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/27/2021 at 8:33 AM, Cowboy10uk said:

Ref the Armed forces radio in game, could I go in and swap out the free music, for a Armed forces Vietnam playlist I already own?    It has the proper music and armed forces Vietnam adverts and radio programs, all set up and sounds amazing when flying the Huey.

Would it be possible to drop this into the music folder of the campaign on my system, or would it mess up the campaign? 

i would prefer selecting the music via the radio in game rather than use an external program like Spotify.

That's a cool idea, and might try that time permitting.   I've got plenty of Doors, Hendrix, Clapton, Zeppelin, and the like on CD to roll one of my own 😄

In the meantime, a couple of good ones from YouTube Music.  I guess that there is a web player for Apple Music too. 

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCGcelpRfnj6NvkwlP1SD15Dlu6N-MvIj&feature=share

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlQBlCqsBeEZROj8X3nFuZ7LIOn_nB3zk&feature=share

Edited by Chipwich

R7 5800X3D / 32GB / VPC T-50 CM2 Base and CM3 Throttle with TM Hornet Grip / RTX 4080 Super / Meta Quest Pro

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2021 at 12:42 AM, Reflected said:

if you export your music into an ogg file named 60s_Radio.ogg, then open the mission file with zip and replace the 60s_Radio.ogg file with yours (similarly named) then yes...I think...try and let me know.

Hi mate, sorry for the late reply, RL hit and ive only gotten around to trying this. Only issue is i cannot for the love of me find the zip file with the OGG to replace. I downloaded it direct from ED through the main program, any ideas where the install location for your campaign would be, so i can try and test this?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Cheers mate. 👍

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Sadly all locked down, while I can see it, it won’t let me replace the file. 

never mind was worth a try

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

53 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

I just tested and was able to. If a file is on your PC you should be able to modify it.

Mmmm intresting in that case, it must be a darn windows setting that’s stopping it.  I agree I should be able to modify whatever I want on my PC. 

I’ll give it another go later.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

7 hours ago, Cowboy10uk said:

Sadly all locked down, while I can see it, it won’t let me replace the file.

That directory (C:\Program Files\ and everything in it) is protected by Windows.

Easiest way is to copy the file in question to a directory that you can access, modify it there, and then copy it back. When copying back, Windows should show a prompt and ask you if you really want to replace a file in a protected directory. Just say "Yes" and that's it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2021 at 7:42 PM, Reflected said:

if you export your music into an ogg file named 60s_Radio.ogg, then open the mission file with zip and replace the 60s_Radio.ogg file with yours (similarly named) then yes...I think...try and let me know.

Just picked up this campaign, so I haven't been through it.  However, I did take a quick peek into the OGG file listed above.  It is the same file in all the missions.  Meaning it plays the same songs in the exact same order.  It is the same 13 minutes in each mission.  This is a very MINOR nit. 

I don't think there's any way to change the missions in an official campaign, so my workaround would be to:

-  Find music and possible radio broadcasts and create an OGG for each mission.  Make each about 13 minutes in duration.

-  Name each OGG with a unique name, so I can tell them apart on my computer - "60s_Radio_m1.ogg",  "60s_Radio_m2.ogg", etc.

-  Open each mission in the campaign using 7-Zip and replace the original radio file with the one I have made.  I will have to rename my version to "60s_Radio.ogg" to preserve the coding that Reflected has in his campaign.

I'll let you all know how this turns out.

Edited by Mistermann
  • Like 1

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

Never my intent, @Reflected

• Like 1

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2022 at 9:20 AM, Mistermann said:

Just picked up this campaign, so I haven't been through it.  However, I did take a quick peek into the OGG file listed above.  It is the same file in all the missions.  Meaning it plays the same songs in the exact same order.  It is the same 13 minutes in each mission.  This is a very MINOR nit. 

I don't think there's any way to change the missions in an official campaign, so my workaround would be to:

-  Find music and possible radio broadcasts and create an OGG for each mission.  Make each about 13 minutes in duration.

-  Name each OGG with a unique name, so I can tell them apart on my computer - "60s_Radio_m1.ogg",  "60s_Radio_m2.ogg", etc.

-  Open each mission in the campaign using 7-Zip and replace the original radio file with the one I have made.  I will have to rename my version to "60s_Radio.ogg" to preserve the coding that Reflected has in his campaign.

I'll let you all know how this turns out.

Per my note above - yes, this works as I suspected.  If you're so inclined, you can replace the 60s_Radio.ogg with whatever sounds you own.  The DCS radio plays the track at a much lower volume than you hear from within Audacity (or whatever app you use to manipulate sounds), so keep that in mind when creating your sound collection.  Looking at Reflected's recording, he's got the output playback level pretty high to account for DCS' radio/cockpit sound volume compression.

image.png

If you're going to go to the trouble of doing this, make sure your sound files are set to an appropriate output level or your recording will be very hard to hear in the cockpit with all the other sounds going on.

After a bunch of trial and error, I set Audacity's Amplification to a peak of 3 (dB) and allowed for clipping in order to achieve a high enough sound level to be heard in the cockpit.  YMMV here.  I notice no change in the output of a clipped track when compared to a non-clipped track.  I am not an audiophile.  

image.png

image.png

I am no expert in sound, sound editing, or sound editing software.  What knowledge I have comes from trial and error along with YT tutorials. 

Lastly, the way Reflected coded the missions, the music file loops (thank you).  It doesn't just play once and stop.  That nugget might help folks decide how long to make their custom tracks.

Hope this helps someone!

Edited by Mistermann
  • Like 1

System Specs:

Spoiler

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

Finished the campaign earlier today and had a great experience overall!

This campaign oozes with character, and given the resources available (Marianas as a substitute), it's difficult to imagine how another campaign could nail the Vietnam vibe much better.

I really appreciate it when campaign creators pay special attention to creating a mood using the weather and time of day, and this element is executed extremely well here.

The missions all felt varied; I never felt like I was repeating the same scenario over and over.  12 missions was the perfect length.

I actually got the Huey just so I could play this campaign, and being a new 'copter pilot, I found mission 1 where you have to land in a very tight space to be the most challenging part.  From there, I gradually found my feet in the bird, and the difficulty of the rest of the campaign felt perfect.

The gunship missions in the latter half of the campaign were generally easier to complete since they were looser with what you need to reach a mission success state.  However, this was balanced with the gunship chopper being a bit of a dog to fly, and I really felt like I had to keep a close eye on my instruments while executing passes on the enemy, as my first couple attempts in the gunship ended with engine failure (I was probably redlining the exhaust temp too much without realizing it).

Some of the flights felt a bit long (even though they actually aren't really), but that's probably just my attention span talking, and me being used to flying much faster machinery in DCS.  Perhaps a little bit more dialog to fill up some of the transit to and from the base would have been nice, even though there's already a decent bit of it in these parts.  This map combined with the great choices of weather conditions does give you some beautiful scenery to look at though!

Great work as usual Reflected!  Am hyped for your future work (especially another F-14 campaign)!

Edited by ClydeBigBird
  • Like 1

@ClydeBigBird thanks so much for taking your time to write this feedback. I'm very happy you enjoyed the campaign. It's always good to know that all the effort that went into making it really paid off.

For the books, check out the campaign documentation pdf under DCS/mods/campaigns/Paradise Lost/doc - I think they're on one of the last pages.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Quick question: Does anyone else have an issue with the triggers at the Company HQ?

Mission 1 the supplies didn't load, but I just flew on and completed the mission, Collective set for 80% saturation corrected back to 100% works fine

Mission 2 the troops don't load and Caulk 2 just sits on the pad? What am I doing wrong? All radios are tuned correctly. Collective set for 80% saturation corrected back to 100% works fine

Edited by Gordon_Jacobson