Wings folded and locked

MarcT-NL

I suffered this bug a long time, but never could reproduce it. I finaly did and made a trackfile !

This is the problem: if your wings are folded, you can't push the handle into lock. That is correct.

But if you turn the handle to Unfold, immediately push it inwards to lock, and turn it back to Fold again before the handle reaches the lock-position, you have your wings folded and locked, and nothing will unlock it again...

Please make folding wings impossible while handle is in locked position, or getting into locked position.

winglock.png

winglock.trk

Edited by MarcT-NL
  • Thanks 1

OK so turning the hadle to unfold and immediately push it into lock will destroy the mechanism ?  Is that true or just an assumption ?  That would be an expensive mistake if the pilot would lock it too soon. I would expect that you could push the handle into lock already, but that the lockingmechanism would spring in position when the wings have unfolded completely.
Anyway, the bug is that apparently you can turn the handle to fold, while it is being pushed into lock. Not when it is in locked position, but WHILE it is in transit to the locked position, resulting in folded wings and a stuck handle. That shouldn't be possible I think.

I have had this happen to me twice, it wasn’t intentional, and basically had me restart the mission to fix.

but I don’t believe it emulates the function of the jet, that would make it a bug. 

Unless you are saying in the real jet it is possible for someone to lock the handle irrevocably in place, in which case nice simulation, otherwise it is broken and needs fixing, not as a massively high priority… but it’s not operating as intended.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

• ED Team

This behaviour would likely create some damage to the mechanism as I understand it, which we do not have modelled currently. 

For now it is a low priority quality of life wish. 

Thanks

• Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...

That's ridiculous. This is not a whish, it's a bug.

OK, OK, damaging the plane if you lock the mechanism too soon, that could be a whish. Low priority, yes. But that's not what I'm talking about.

By sheer accident you can set the handle to fold when it is being locked. Resulting in folded wings and a stuck handle. I am just talking about something that would prevent the handle get stuck. Just something like "IF folded THEN allways unlock". I don't mean to get it stuck, but it's because of how the handle is bound to my HOTAS that this happens every now and then.

I say it is a bug because in real life I have never heard of pilots operating the handle and going "Oops, I broke the handle again. Can I have a new jet please ?".

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MarcT-NL said:

I don't mean to get it stuck, but it's because of how the handle is bound to my HOTAS that this happens every now and then.".

Can you change your bindings. I use the mouse to fold and lock wings. When I unfold them, I look to see when they are fully down and then lock them so no way to have your problem. I generally start them dropping while taxing to the catapult. Once stopped at the cat, I double check visually and then lock.

I have an individual three-way switch bound to each position of the handle, the switch is rotary and is depressed to push or pull the handle... and i am still (rarely) able to get it into an odd state.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I use the mouse in VR and use it as should, so, to be honest this never happened to me nor be a real issue for me. 

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

5 hours ago, CBStu said:

Can you change your bindings. I use the mouse to fold and lock wings. When I unfold them, I look to see when they are fully down and then lock them so no way to have your problem. I generally start them dropping while taxing to the catapult. Once stopped at the cat, I double check visually and then lock.

Technically I can change the bindings yes. But actually I have no other buttons left. And also I don't want to change it. I'm used to it this way. But that makes it sound as if this a special whish just for me. It is a bug. Tell me in the real plane you can unlock the handle, put the handle to Unfold, then to lock, and then to fold again.

• 3 weeks later...

hello,  I think i am having the SAME issue !!!!   so I have the winwing Take Off panel and set the rotary knob WING FOLD to Fold, Hold, Spread, and PUSH RE/LOCK.

so i have noticed when I turn the the handle to Hold it switched back to FOLD ????  wth ??  never had this issue ???? WTH ...   and when I start a missiong on HOT ON THE RAMP with the wing fully SPREAD and I tested by PULL to Release the handle then it switched directly to FOLD ????  wth ???  

i cleared my settings in the control unbinded my Take OFF Panel and its still auto-switched ?????   go to FOLD and switched back to HOLD then if Spread then switched back to HOLD ????  

WTH ?????   i checked all my keys in the control and i have no other keys binded ?????    what is causing this ???  is anyone else having the same issues ????

Edited by mouaherbert
  • Like 2

ok...   

so I retested;

enable synch to HOTAS it's working fine 

exit the game and launched DCS disable synch to HOTAS and it appears to be fine now....

but if it happens again, i will repost  for the weird misbehavior it is not normal.   not sure what happened 

• 3 weeks later...