Anyone tried the rockets??

rkk01

6 minutes ago, Bill1949 said:

What am I missing.
I have rockets.
My mapped button is operating the button on the throttle in cockpit.
All switches on the bomb panel are set to On.
...but the rockets don't fire....

Because the switches on the bomb panel are for bombs, not rockets. 

If you want to operate rockets, you have to turn on the rocket master switch or whatever it is called. That one is directly above the mixture lever. 

1 hour ago, razo+r said:

If you want to operate rockets, you have to turn on the rocket master switch or whatever it is called. That one is directly above the mixture lever. 

There are also two new training missions that show you where the switches have been hidden, and how to use them.

I could not get it to work either until I discovered the training missions. 

(The rockets are where the outer bombs go, so surely it will be just like dropping the outer bombs.  Duh!  No it's not.)

24 minutes ago, Grimleo said:

I assume you use the bomb release button on the stick.

Nope. The default keys for release are

• Bombs        RSHFT + Space
  • Rocket         LALT + Space

so you will have to go to the controls setup page and assign those different keysbinds to two different hotas switches.

I am looking for a way to read the rockets armed / bombs armed switches so one button on the joystick works either weapon, as it does on other modules.

6 hours ago, Grimleo said:

So, the Rocket trigger is on the right throttle handle. Sneaky those Brits.

Yes, very sneaky. But then they do like hiding important fuel controls behind the pilot's seat and scattering other controls randomly around the cockpit.

You can't find this one by mousing over it as it is , like the other weapons buttons, not mouse clickable.

I could not find it until I clicked on the keyboard continuously while looking around the cockpit.

I find it interesting that the rockets are mounted in a different slot than the wing bombs, though you cannot take both rockets and wing bombs/DT - this is because we have the 4 rails type of rocket mounts. I wonder if this means that we will also get the late war “tree” type rocket rails that allowed both rockets and DT to be mounted. Technically,  rockets + wing bombs may also be possible, though I never heard of such a load out combination being used (makes little sense operationally).

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

2 hours ago, Terry Dactil said:

Yes, very sneaky. But then they do like hiding important fuel controls behind the pilot's seat and scattering other controls randomly around the cockpit.

You can't find this one by mousing over it as it is , like the other weapons buttons, not mouse clickable.

I could not find it until I clicked on the keyboard continuously while looking around the cockpit.

I find the manual can sometimes be handy to do this job. (Page 119).

• Like 1

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

2 hours ago, Bozon said:

I find it interesting that the rockets are mounted in a different slot than the wing bombs, though you cannot take both rockets and wing bombs/DT - this is because we have the 4 rails type of rocket mounts. I wonder if this means that we will also get the late war “tree” type rocket rails that allowed both rockets and DT to be mounted. Technically,  rockets + wing bombs may also be possible, though I never heard of such a load out combination being used (makes little sense operationally).

You can still take the 2*2 rockets and then attach bombs or tanks to the wings.

Edited by razo+r

Rockets are fun and working! They have considerable drop so only viable from very close distances. For example when shooting on Elnya tanker, one needs to fire rockers from 300m or so and aim for top of mast with piper so rockets can hit hull. Sinking Elnya will requite 16 hits and maybe a few 20mm cannon rounds just to finish it off.

Edited by Rainbowgirl

14 hours ago, Nealius said:

300m sounds like risky business for DCS omniscient AI firing back.....I imagine a schnellboot could shoot down an entire section of Mossies before getting hit by rockets.

Oh yes, I tried to do a mission I made, a Schellboat and sub as target.
1. The sub can take at least 2 rockets with out ant noticable effect, that was a little annoying. 
2. 1 schell and 1 sub will murder 3 Mossies no problem. 

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

22 hours ago, Nealius said:

300m sounds like risky business for DCS omniscient AI firing back.....I imagine a schnellboot could shoot down an entire section of Mossies before getting hit by rockets.

One can get away with launching them from longer distances if aiming high enough. After some firing tests yesterday plus pitagorean and trigonometric shenanigans, I've noted that they land pretty much right on target when:

a) target is placed where lower vertical line of the reticle crosses the circle and dive angle is about 18 degrees - distance to target is about 760 m then;

b) target is placed on the bottom tip of lower vertical line of the reticle and dive angle is about 21 degrees - distance to target is about 1280 m then;

It's all a bit academic though, because how the hell can you reliably estimate distance when aiming at ground/naval targets... not to mention that AI gunners are probably still going to snipe you anyway ;).

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Yep, they're pretty much a suicide weapon with the current state of AI gunners. Even if you launch at 700m and turn there's still a decent chance you'll get head-shotted by an 88mm!

But they're fun when used against targets who don't shoot back.