Anyone tried the rockets??

rkk01

OK. While we are all whinging about the rocket's shortcomings, I discovered something I consider very neat.

ED have model the acoustic effects to include the speed of sound.

Look and listen to this ...

Great stuff ED!  :clap_2:

So who is going to be first to complain that the speed is not quite correct or does not vary with temperature or something? :book:

Edited by Terry Dactil
  • Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 7:42 PM, Reflected said:

Where is the rocket release button inside the cockpit? I don't mean the key shortcuts, but the actual location.

Reflected,

The actual button for the rockets is located on the throttle.  Watch the throttle when you fire the rockets with whatever you have it bound to.  Here is a video of me earlier taking the Mossie for a flight in VR and dumping all the rockets at once because I had the Salvo set to 4.  Forgot to set it to station 1.  VR performance is getting a lot better as well, especially on the Marianas.  

Edited by Devil 505
  • Thanks 1

Hehehe !   Whoever designed the cockpit of the Mosquito should be shot as a war-criminal !  One big pile of random up-side-down-switches. LOL. Very fun to fly though. Cosy allmost !

Two questions about bombing:

1] The tailfuse is meant to be like a delayed fuse right ?  So I only fuse the tail, and I can bomb from very low altitude ?  If this assumption is true, is it implemented in DCS yet ?  Because I keep blowing myself up while LA-bombing.

2] I could just revert to high-altitude bombing. But then my question is: how on earth can I get the bomb on target ?  Where should I be aiming at ?  I can't even hit a building !

21 hours ago, Morat said:

Yep, they're pretty much a suicide weapon with the current state of AI gunners. Even if you launch at 700m and turn there's still a decent chance you'll get head-shotted by an 88mm!

But they're fun when used against targets who don't shoot back.

I tried to give a U-boat ROE to only fire when fired at, to simulate a surprise attack.  It gives you 1 chance to take it out, after that it will take you out on any other attempts. 

But even 2 hits with the 60lb SAP didn't take it out,  so I was screwed.  One Ai wingman dropped some bombs but misses another got shot up and crashed on a gun run, the one that dropped thr bomb apparently got hit and was leaking so much fuel he was bingo after like 2.5 minutes and fell in the ocean. I tried a suicide attack but the combined fire from the U-boat and Schell boat killed my guns and cannons before I even could open fire and I crashed into the ocean 10 meters from the U-boat. 

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

2 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

But even 2 hits with the 60lb SAP didn't take it out,  so I was screwed.

You might get better results with the other rocket types.

The suggestions I've seen somewhere and noted are:

• Ships                   25lb AP          Armour piercing
  • Soft targets        60lb HE          High explosive
  • Light Armour       60lb HE/AP   Both

Also aim slightly short to get hits below the waterline.

Good luck, and medals if you succeed.  :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Terry Dactil said:

You might get better results with the other rocket types.

The suggestions I've seen somewhere and noted are:

• Ships                   25lb AP          Armour piercing
  • Soft targets        60lb HE          High explosive
  • Light Armour       60lb HE/AP   Both

Also aim slightly short to get hits below the waterline.

Good luck, and medals if you succeed.  :thumbup:

Is "hole in the hull" modeled? So you can sink a ship? I've always assumed ships has hit points only, and nothing happens until you hit "critical damage "

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

34 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

Is "hole in the hull" modeled? So you can sink a ship? I've always assumed ships has hit points only, and nothing happens until you hit "critical damage "

Exactly. A ship only sinks if you remove all its hitpoints. Holes and other visible damage is cosmetic only. Actual damage like slower speed and degraded sensors are less "visible". 

On 12/27/2021 at 11:21 PM, Nealius said:

300m sounds like risky business for DCS omniscient AI firing back.....I imagine a schnellboot could shoot down an entire section of Mossies before getting hit by rockets.

True. I attacked only unarmed tankers so far. Would not go for armed vessel with Mossie on my own. One can fire from as far as one wishes. Pilots in DCS will each come with their own attack styles, guessing. I prefer close range to make sure that I actually tit something after spending time flying to target. Would be frustrating to fly 20 mins to target, fire and make  6 rockets out of 8 missing the ship/ target and fly back 20 mins home empty handed.

Edited by Rainbowgirl

The rockets are not exactly precision weapons - this is why they were mainly used against the broad side of merchant ships, and one Mosquito was not supposed to attack a ship.

From the descriptions in the books, coastal command developed a system that required multiple mosquitoes/beaufighters to attack in sequence. Strafers went in first probably because they needed the least setup and could fly at a curved path towards the boat (my interpretation). They tended to rake the decks along the ship length - this sent the gunners diving for cover and then they were busy putting out fires and evacuating the wounded.

Then the rocket beau/mossies attacked, usually broadside for those below water line hits. This also put them in a different direction from the strafers so they don’t interfere with each other should the timing not be perfect (the latter is my interpretation). The videos show the rocket lobbers salvo all 8 and immediately breaking off the attack - probably to avoid gunners that got a bead on them after the straight shallow rocket run, but also to clear the way for the next rocket totters and…

MK.XVIII tse-tse come in last aiming at the ship broadside, in the shallowest dive and longest straight run because they are trying to release multiple shots in one run. They would be the most vulnerable, except that the ship should be in total chaos at this point and offer ineffective return fire.

So this was an operation for 10 or more aircraft to overwhelm the ship. Banff strike wing would operate swarms of up to 40 moss/beaus. The book “A separate little war” claims that by 1945 coastal command perfected the system and was trading 1 mosquito lost for 1 ship sunk - worth it, but still a very dangerous business. Earlier in the war over the Mediterranean and using old attack tactics Beaufighters were competing for the dubious title of lowest life expectancy in the RAF (book “Armed Rovers”). So, attacking ships was indeed very very dangerous.

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

^ Some might have not noticed, but TAW-Prof posted an interesting wartime vid in the Wishlist section, showing how Beaus employed some of the tactics mentioned by Bozon above:

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

On 12/30/2021 at 1:52 AM, Rainbowgirl said:

True. I attacked only unarmed tankers so far. Would not go for armed vessel with Mossie on my own. One can fire from as far as one wishes. Pilots in DCS will each come with their own attack styles, guessing. I prefer close range to make sure that I actually tit something after spending time flying to target. Would be frustrating to fly 20 mins to target, fire and make  6 rockets out of 8 missing the ship/ target and fly back 20 mins home empty handed.

I tried attacking a U-Boat with rockets yesterday. Used the 25lb warheads - a salvo of 8 rockets. As the video shows, I waited till I was literally on top of the boat using the rockets. The damage after the initial pass was 92%, which I thought was amazing. However, when I reviewed the video later, I saw that my initial hits (with the cannon) raised the damage of the boat to 60%. Since this was on the Growling Sidewinder server, I can only assume that someone else had attacked the boat before me and probably damaged it somewhat (at lest 30-40%). The rockets themselves, fired from point-blank range, probably did about 20-25% damage - not nearly enough to sink the U-Boat. It took all my ammo to finish off the U-Boat (my bad aim notwithstanding). Next time, I'll try to team up with another Mossie driver on the GS server and see a pair of Mossies can sink a fresh, undamaged U-Boat. Anyway, here's the video: