London and Paris

Japo32

Hi! in the recent video it seems that Paris and London are going to be incorporated, so I thought "it has to be into the channel map, that is more to the north than Normandy one... but not!!!

so if that is real, why people should buy the channel appart from beeing more beautiful? ( I have it)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Channel map is the ultimate test on your hardware and settings. Also, it features some airfields and features which are not present in the Normandy map.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

True. There are airfields not present in the Normandy map... but if they are going to grow it to the north, then who tells you that they are not going to be also? Maybe not... but maybe yes.

In any case, this is a miss oportunity from ED to make the Channel map bigger. Still they could join forces and merge both maps, including london and paris.

Now I am looking this map comparison, it seems clear that Paris is near the left botton border of Normandy and London is not so far away to the north. But making the extension to both cities, the Normandy map is going to cover mostly what is the coverage area of the channel map.

Flight simulators map areas - Google My Maps

27 minutes ago, Japo32 said:

True. There are airfields not present in the Normandy map... but if they are going to grow it to the north, then who tells you that they are not going to be also? Maybe not... but maybe yes.

In any case, this is a miss oportunity from ED to make the Channel map bigger. Still they could join forces and merge both maps, including london and paris.

Now I am looking this map comparison, it seems clear that Paris is near the left botton border of Normandy and London is not so far away to the north. But making the extension to both cities, the Normandy map is going to cover mostly what is the coverage area of the channel map.

Nineline confirm on discord that has part of a extension by Ugra-Media on Normandy map.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/24/2021 at 3:08 PM, Japo32 said:

Japo, your Normandy map is a little off.  When you look at how much the two Europe maps already overlap it makes for a perplexing situation.  My hope is that ED has some foresite here and just merges the two maps as Ugras is about ready to swallow the channel whole!  

-Woog

DCS Maps Europe.jpg

• Like 1

I'm rather hoping that if Ugra do the updated Normandy map for 44' time period, that ED might go for a different time for the Channel map, e.g. to cover say the cold war.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

2 hours ago, Mr_sukebe said:

I'm rather hoping that if Ugra do the updated Normandy map for 44' time period, that ED might go for a different time for the Channel map, e.g. to cover say the cold war.

+1. If ED extended the current Channel map the other way, it would certainly keep it relevant. Which raises a question I have. I have never made a campaign, but if the user had both the Channel and the Normandy maps, would it be possible that a campaign starts on one map and ends on another? I don't think this has ever been done before, but is it even possible?

That is already done in some of the Reflected campaigns. Mix of the 2 maps.

Yes.. the coverage is almost the same, but the complexity of the map in the north of Normandy is just land. Now that they are going to include Paris and specially London (to the North this one) they will need (I guess) the complexity and detail in the north part of Normandy map.

The channel is better in detail, but right now with that move from Ugra Media (if it is done) The channel is dead, unless the channel expand the map to the north go cover a great portion of UK... But I think there was not so many fights north of the channel, appart of searching for Uboats. 

It was a mistake to make the same area. I would have made the Sicilia-africa part. Right now I would give it for free (the channel) at least in multiplayer as IL2 does.

Edited by Japo32
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/30/2022 at 4:48 PM, Japo32 said:

That is already done in some of the Reflected campaigns. Mix of the 2 maps.

Yes.. the coverage is almost the same, but the complexity of the map in the north of Normandy is just land. Now that they are going to include Paris and specially London (to the North this one) they will need (I guess) the complexity and detail in the north part of Normandy map.

The channel is better in detail, but right now with that move from Ugra Media (if it is done) The channel is dead, unless the channel expand the map to the north go cover a great portion of UK... But I think there was not so many fights north of the channel, appart of searching for Uboats. 

It was a mistake to make the same area. I would have made the Sicilia-africa part. Right now I would give it for free (the channel) at least in multiplayer as IL2 does.

That's cool, I wasn't sure you could include more than one map in a campaign. But if ED decided to extend the Channel map towards Germany, both maps would remain relevant, and more importantly, could support campaign progression.

+1 on the Sicily/Africa map though

Edited by Callsign112

• 3 months later...

I love the channel map, it looks so amazing.

Of course I would love to fly into deep germany from there, but the teaser with Paris & London makes me already pretty happy.

Are there any rumors around by when there will be an official anouncement on this?

3 hours ago, Komet_82 said:

I love the channel map, it looks so amazing.

Of course I would love to fly into deep germany from there, but the teaser with Paris & London makes me already pretty happy.

Are there any rumors around by when there will be an official anouncement on this?

No dates given. But, remember those cities will come to Normandy map, not Channel already featuring a portion on London.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

I can imagine that the Normandy and Channel maps will eventually cover similar areas but in different timeframes. The differences between a summer 1940 map and a 1944 one are quite extensive.

I don’t know if that’s what’s intended but it would make sense.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mogster said:

I can imagine that the Normandy and Channel maps will eventually cover similar areas but in different timeframes. The differences between a summer 1940 map and a 1944 one are quite extensive.

I don’t know if that’s what’s intended but it would make sense.

I would like to know more about the extensive differences between the two time periods? Do you mean the number of airfields, or something else?

The number of airfields increases and there were significant changes to existing airfields, grass to paved mainly and runways extended. British and German cities (sometime) you have the visible results of bombing.

By 1944 you have visible technology such as radar installations, crossbow sites, U-Boat pens. Also the Atlantic wall fortifications. Then there are POW facilities and possibly even concentration camps.

Some of this stuff is beyond the scope of the existing maps, but some of it isn’t. I’m sure there’s much much more that people with greater knowledge of the subject than I could suggest.

• Like 1

Those are all good points.

What I hope we see instead would be for the Channel map to expand in the other direction. Both maps would remain relevant and would also allow us to make a much wider range of mission types, which would be aided by the fact that both maps can be used to make a single Campaign.

I superimposed a rough sketch of the Channel map if it were expanded to the same size as the Normandy map to show the approximate area it would cover.

maps.jpg

Edited by Callsign112
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Callsign112 said:

What would be cool is if they expanded the Channel map and then adding Germany as a third map.  

+1 Im in.

• Like 3

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

+1 

Could use it to play the whole western front air war up to Market Garden / Battle of the Bulge.  

• Like 3

Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,

Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!