Mirrors Texture Flickering/Black Screen DCS 2.7.9.17830

SignorMagnifico

I've noticed in the Tomcat some strange texture flickering that happens only when the mirrors are enabled. When I look at the mirrors, I see a black box appearing on the screen. I tried using the mirrors in other aircraft at the same airfield, such as the F-18 Hornet, and I didn't have the same problem. It only happens with the Tomcat so far. I have attached track files and a YouTube video of the issue happening.

Track files: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ibcynnayl6jjab1/TomcatMirrorsBug.rar?dl=0

Edited by SignorMagnifico
  • Thanks 2

i7-8700k OC to 5.1GHz, Sound BlasterX AE-5, Creative Sound BlasterX H7 Tournament Edition, Asus ROG Maximus X Code

Corsair Dominator DDR4 32GB 3200MHz, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid, Acer Predator XB271HU WQHD IPS Monitor, Logitech G510S, Anker 8000DPI Gaming Mouse, HOTAS Warthog, Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals, Track IR 5, Windows 10 Professional, https://www.youtube.com/c/iflyflightsims

2 hours ago, Callsign JoNay said:

It's been present for me since that big April 14th patch where they updated the base game's materials and ambient lighting stuff, but it only happens to me in very specific lighting conditions. I didn't realize it was connected to the mirrors, nice find.

Thank goodness it’s not just me lol. Hopefully Heatblur can find a solution.

i7-8700k OC to 5.1GHz, Sound BlasterX AE-5, Creative Sound BlasterX H7 Tournament Edition, Asus ROG Maximus X Code

Corsair Dominator DDR4 32GB 3200MHz, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid, Acer Predator XB271HU WQHD IPS Monitor, Logitech G510S, Anker 8000DPI Gaming Mouse, HOTAS Warthog, Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals, Track IR 5, Windows 10 Professional, https://www.youtube.com/c/iflyflightsims

You guys aren't alone. It's happening to a lot of people in our group too. I've been told it's worse in VR. I'm using TrackIR and it seems like the time of day or shadow angle has a lot to do with it. I was taxiing at Kobuleti and it was happening so bad, 75% of my screen went black. BigNewy posted in another thread that they have reported internally that this problem is present. Hopefully there will be a fix for it soon.

Edited by VAF [136] Striker

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

ASUS ROG Rampage IV Extreme MB

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't think this is specifically linked to the F14 because I am having the same in the Mi-8...especially when flying over densely populated areas.

I am using Track Ir as well.

I have seen similar issues reported before going back to 2019:

Edit: Apparently it's being discussed and worked on:

Edited by PHMAC
  • Like 1

I have also experienced this issue last night, it was driving me bananas.  I was in a F18 ,  It does not appear to be a model specific bug, could be related to textures in mirrors ?      Otherwise I'm glad this is a known bug and is affecting others, I thought I broke something in my settings for a while 😛 

I did find out that if I flip up my mirrors, the texture glitch no longer occurs.  Can anyone else confirm that flipping up your mirrors or disabling your mirrors fixes the issue? 

***UPDATE***  

After reading some other threads I think there are in fact 2x bugs, yet, could be the same root cause.

Bug#1, the first bug would be the screen flickering as @Callsign JoNay posted, if you notice closely it appears to affect a portion of the screen and goes away quickly. In some cases in other videos if affacts the whole screen, a quick >1 second blink that can become rather annoying. I have not seen this issue.

Bug#2 the second bug is the actual bug I have experienced, where the black box will appear as @SignorMagnifico originally posted above. This one appears to remedy itself after disabling the mirrors. The black box could be perceived as flickering, however, if you keep your head still in VR it will never go away.  So in fact they are not the same. 

20 hours ago, PHMAC said:

I don't think this is specifically linked to the F14 because I am having the same in the Mi-8...especially when flying over densely populated areas.

I am using Track Ir as well.

I have seen similar issues reported before going back to 2019:

Edit: Apparently it's being discussed and worked on:

@PHMAC I think this is a different issue entirely, yet , could be related. The problem I was having is that a black box will appear on your screen. As opposed to flickering and just going away, the black box will stay there if you don't move.  It def appears to be some sort of texture issue. Good find though, hopefully it gets fixed soon. 🙂

Edited by sfmadmax

2 hours ago, PHMAC said:

The issue appears to be addressed in todays patch:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/changelog/

Confirmed. Appears to be resolved. I tried playing back my tracks with the issue, and I'm not seeing the black screen. Will have to play more tonight to see if the issue comes back.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
On 12/14/2022 at 11:32 AM, draconus said:

Mind you, it's a Tomcat subforum.

Yes, but it is clearly a Tomcat related issue and it is back in 2.8.6.41363 for the Sinai map (at least for me).

DCS:A-10C / DCS:Ka-50 / DCS:UH-1H / DCS:Mig21bis / DCS:P-51D / DCS:Mi-8MTV2 / DCS:Fw190D9 / DCS:Bf109K4 / DCS:C-101EB / DCS:L-39C / DCS:F-5E / DCS:Spitfire LF Mk. IX / DCS:AJS37