MOOSE year end review

Pikey

I was looking for some data to make some sort of end of year progress report on the Moose project. I don't know if its more amazing that we still have people brave enough to edit someone else's 5 year old code or that 1700+ people sit in the Discord listening to our gibberish. :).  There's a single word that summarises MOOSE, and that is 'contribution'. It's not about being Linus Torvalds or Ada Lovelace, it's about all the different types of people using it and connencting, learning and making something bigger than the sum of it's parts.

Open source software is the future.

Contribution and collaboration are the cornerstones.

The MOOSE project always aimed to open up software programming to DCS: World enthusiasts across the globe, in order to enhance their gaming experience and the experiences of their friends. All we need is to put the essence of giving first and we can harness the most powerful force in the world, to become an army of intellectuals.

There's three groups of people that deserve special thanks for their contributions. The first and most obvious, are our enduring rockstars of software, Frank and Apple. Normally, when you don't pay people for a job, you cannot expect much. Except these two guys blow me away with their tireless devotion to making DCS coding more fun, not just in their creation of new features, but defintiely going back through old code, the hardest of tasks. 211 thousand lines including documentation, thats about a 7th more code, year on year. I can't fit all the classes in the last year onto this post, it doesnt even make sense to. These two people we owe everything to. Thank you, both of you.

The second group of people are you. There's no point in doing it if there is no one to consume all that effort. Moose is not a person who seeks fame or fortune, it is a collective that seeks betterment, mostly by making the DCS Scripting Engine easier. Learn-teach-learn. Over the years many of the community have originated from people knowing little about coding to then stuck around long enough to show someone else something. That's pretty cool to see.

And the last group of people will never read this. It's the families, husbands, friends, grifriends, children that have to endure our preoccupation. Remember to make it up to them at the end of the year and thank them for their patience and love.

Don't forget to fly! 🙂

Mike

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Thank you MOOSE team for all the work you do. We couldn't pull off a fraction of the magic we make for our squadrons without you all. 

It's one of the most well thought out, well documented and easiest to use software projects I have ever used, and it speaks very highly of the team that produces, maintains, and expands it.

BRAVO on a really great job and Happy New Year! 👍

• Like 2

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

I would'nt enter the ME without it😎👍 Thanks for all you guys do.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

p.s. And thx for the quick fix from 12/20 to 12/23!

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMP WIZARD "Forest Gumble" "When the air becomes electric....It's like a box of chocolates":captain:

Windows 11 Pro 64 bit | Intel Alder Lake i7 12700KF | Asus Prime Z690M Plus D4 | CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 3200 | EVGA GTX 1070 SC @1594MHz/4000 MHz 8GB | 1x42" Multi Touch Screen and 1x27" 4k widescreen | Saitek x52 Pro |

Would also like to pile on to what Pikey mentioned in the beginning. Moose has completely changed the way I look at DCS. I rarely use the mission editor any more other than to load the core units I need and to load Moose and the mission code. I watch the development of Moose on a daily basis and am so appreciative of what Franky and Apple have done to keep this alive and innovative. With the tools they provide, a Moose mission maker can create incredible missions in a relatively short amount of time. The biggest problem I have is keepng my missions simple because when Franky and Apple create a new class, I have to load it into my mission to try. Next thing I know I have 4000 lines of code and a mission that blows my mind. Thanks again to the Moose team and the community for all of your help with Moose, and the ideas you bring to make it better all the time. 

Edited by gunterlund21
  • Like 2

I was in Art of the Kill D#@ it!!!!

Truly fantastic work, it is quite impressive! And for those reading this, even simple and non-technical contributions (documentation etc.), as has been submitted by myself, has been greatly appreciated.

Keep up the great work, Frank and Apple!

On 12/28/2021 at 3:06 AM, CARTOK said:

Truly fantastic work, it is quite impressive! And for those reading this, even simple and non-technical contributions (documentation etc.), as has been submitted by myself, has been greatly appreciated.

Keep up the great work, Frank and Apple!

Thanks for your contributions @CARTOK- they are greatly appreciated.

On 12/28/2021 at 7:12 AM, Glide said:

Thanks for the reminder, and thanks for the great work!  I can write software in my sleep, and I'm retired and in need of a project.  I'll try not to annoy anyone. Cheers!

@GlideWe can use any contributors we can get. Just hit us up on the Discord server. As with any open source project its difficult to get folks to contribute. If it wasn't for people primarily like Frank and Apple and countless others that help out here and there, the Moose project would likely be dead.

• Like 1

I've been lurking there for the last week.  I went through all of Sven's old documentation and YT videos.  Got distracted by the WWise certification courses.  I'm testing out the OP Snowplow mission from AppEvangelist to get a feel for what MOOSE can do.  Now I'm thinking of ways I can help...