Realistic marker smoke

Aarnoman

Somewhere between DCS 2.5 and 2.7, the marker smoke in DCS has had a major change that made it somewhat ridiculous - currently it towers up to 165 meters high, as shown here:

Smoke_Height.png

Having this unnaturally tall, fast moving smoke causes a range of both gameplay and immersion issues, as it looks bad, interferes with our ability to judge size/altitude, and easily obscures the target area due to its large plume. I have worked on creating a performance friendly, more realistic looking alternative to this smoke with the hope of integrating it into DCS core. One of the goals was to retain long distance spotting ability (so smoke markers can still be spotted at 5nm for target aquistion) while looking good at any distance, and not being ludicrously large.

Here is the result:

I have been in discussions with NineLine to have this integrated in DCS as it requires only a change in one file and has no negative consequences/effects to any other particle effects, but unfortunately there seems to be next to no interest from ED for this:

image.png

As a result, I am releasing this to the community. If you enjoy this improved smoke, consider asking ED/the community managers for whether it can be reconsidered for inclusion into DCS core.

Installation instructions:

1) Replace [DCS installation directory]\Bazar\ParticleEffects\effects\SmokeMarker.lua with the file attached.

Issues:

This mod will currently break integrity check. If you would like to use it on integrity check enabled servers, consider asking the community managers nicely for inclusion in DCS core.

SmokeMarker.lua

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

First of all thank you for reporting and taking the time not only to report the issue but to provide a fix for the devs.

But i have to say i'm shocked (not surprised unfortunately) by the things i read on the answer of Nineline.
You report an issue and then you provide a easy fix. And the answer he get from the devs is to get ignored by them on this issue.
On top of that he thinks, not knows for sure, that it means that they maybe working or have plans for that.

So there are people in this forum taking their time to report things to make DCS better, which will benefit users and devs, and the response it that sometimes the devs will ignore it.
Just think about that ...
I'm quite shocked and furious now

Not my intention to create a discussion here and tarnish the OP work but i felt this time have to say something.

So please stick to the subject and thanks again for you time Aarnoman

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am getting the impression that there is some serious disagreement between the developers at ED about whether DCS is a simulation, requiring a strict dedication to accuracy, or a video game where "creative interpretation" is appropriate.

Edited by Aries144
  • Like 2