A-4E Skyhawk - Full Module? Not needed, now that we have the Community A-4E-C version 2.0.0+ !!

Andrew8604

The "Community" version is a BLAST to fly around in carrier ops, even with its several missing features and quirks.  (And I understand the community did its utmost best to get what they've got!) <-- That was version 1.4.2 -- version 2.0.0 goes far beyond!  And there aren't many missing features or quirks, now.

• No Communications  -- FIXED - Radios work, now, and you can call the tanker, ATC and the Carrier ATC, and more.
  • No In-flight Refueling (and 'buddy' tanking) -- FIXED - Can refuel from any tanker with drogue "basket".  Although, "buddy tanking" is not possible...at least not yet.
  • No Custom Flight Model -- FIXED - It now has a fine External Flight Model (EFM)
  • possibly "out-of-spec" cockpit and fuselage dimensions. -- minor...if it exists at all.  I need some real aircraft measurements to verify.
  • seeming hypersensitivity to arrested landings that causes aircraft explosions -- although that may be the fault of community aircraft carrier mods. -- FIXED - I've made over a dozen of arrested landings to Clemenceau and Forrestal carriers, as well as bolters off Melbourne...no explosions anymore!

Other than that, it is a very fun "community" mod.  I know it would be great to have a full module of the A-4E.   Not needed.  I feel pretty sure more people would buy it.  It's FREE!   I think the greatest objection to it in servers is simply that it is not a full module.  -- That could be.  I only use it single-player. 

Its place is on older super carriers like Forrestal, and smaller carriers like the "angled-deck" Essex class, Clemenceau, and Melbourne carriers.  Going along great with it on such carriers would be the upcoming F-8J Crusader, A-7E Corsair II, and probably even the F4U-1D Corsair (painted over-all navy blue).  True, it uses the old, obsolete bridle-cable for cat launches rather than the launch bar.  But so does the F-8J (and F-4J Phantom II), so don't let that stand in the way.  It's only cosmetic in the sim, anyway.

I understand this may be more than 3 years down the road...if ever...because it would be a 'from the ground-up' production, like any other module.   It is available, free, NOW!  But worthwhile, I think.  Nonetheless, as a customer, I wish to make my request to have a full version of the Skyhawk in the detail & scale and functionality of modules like the F-5E Tiger II.  Cancel my request.  We already have the Skyhawk!  And nearly in the detail of full modules.  

(If the request is already duly noted and registered, then either file mine under it...or you can delete this.)

Thanks!

Edited by Andrew8604
Updated with knowledge of Community Project advancements.
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Andrew8604 said:

even with its several missing features and quirks…

• No Communications
  • No In-flight Refueling (and 'buddy' tanking)
  • No Custom Flight Model
  • possibly "out-of-spec" cockpit and fuselage dimensions.
  • seeming hypersensitivity to arrested landings that causes aircraft explosions -- although that may be the fault of community aircraft carrier mods.

You must be referring to an older version of the community Mod, as it now does have communications, refueling, an External Flight Model, and can trap on a carrier just fine.

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

1 hour ago, Rudel_chw said:

You must be referring to an older version of the community Mod, as it now does have communications, refueling, an External Flight Model, and can trap on a carrier just fine.

Perhaps!  I seem to be using version 1.4.2.  I'll check for updates, then.  Thanks!  Yes, biggest disappointment was trying to land on modded aircraft carrier, Clemenceau (which is a lot like an Essex).  I can't tell what's causing it, but it tends to explode often upon touching down on the deck where the arresting cables are.  On the ball, on alignment, on speed for optimal AOA, using the APC, full flaps, hook down, gear down, all down, clear deck...kaboom.  I'll have to go back and check it out on the Nimitz-class carriers.  Maybe it's that Clemenceau mod.  And yes, it's all in the Saved Games folder.

You really seem to be out of date 🙂

These days A-4E mod has mostly (perhaps fully?) working radio, can do aerial refueling, and has a pretty nice custom EFM flight model. For me personally it's more of a free module than a mod at this point to be honest.

Edit: oh and also make sure checking out the bombing computer after updating 🙂 (weapon mode to CMPTR position, select slick bombs, radar in AG mode, sight zero degrees depression, put the sight on your intented target, press and hold pickle, computer will release the bombs at the right moment to hit, you can also pull up to level flight as you hold the pickle)

Edited by WinterH

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

35 minutes ago, WinterH said:

These days A-4E mod has mostly (perhaps fully?) working radio, can do aerial refueling, and has a pretty nice custom EFM flight model. For me personally it's more of a free module than a mod at this point to be honest.

Edit: oh and also make sure checking out the bombing computer after updating 🙂 (weapon mode to CMPTR position, select slick bombs, radar in AG mode, sight zero degrees depression, put the sight on your intented target, press and hold pickle, computer will release the bombs at the right moment to hit, you can also pull up to level flight as you hold the pickle)

Thank you!!   I've already just downloaded 2.0.0 RC3.  I'll check it out later.  Sounds great. 

In 1.4.2, I was having trouble with AI flying the A-4 and not being able to line up with centerline of angled deck on Clemenceau.  I think I saw a mention of a solution to that.  I'll have to check that out, too.  Any of you know if there is an SCB-27C/125 Essex-class carrier mod out there (steam catapults/angled deck)? ...like USS Hancock or Oriskany?

Should I remove this topic from the Wish List?  Can I even remove it?  Or maybe it can be locked and left here for those who might have the same thought I did?  I don't think I want to start a whole new alternate discussion thread, do I?

14 minutes ago, Andrew8604 said:

Any of you know if there is an SCB-27C/125 Essex-class carrier mod out there (steam catapults/angled deck)? ...like USS Hancock or Oriskany?

No, but you can use Heatblur’s Forrestal … it’s free to use even if you dont own their Tomcat, and fits the Skyhawk’s time frame better than the Nimitz class.

• Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

12 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

No, but you can use Heatblur’s Forrestal … it’s free to use even if you dont own their Tomcat, and fits the Skyhawk’s time frame better than the Nimitz class.

I already have the Forrestal...and the Tomcat!  Yes, I agree.  But I just like those smaller carriers, too. 🙂  By the time the F-8J comes out, someone needs to release an angled-deck, Essex-class carrier.  The Crusader and Skyhawk worked together on those ships.

• Like 1

Do take a look at this mod:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315543/

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315544/

It's in two parts, but I've found it to be pretty nice, did use it with a friend for a while to fly the A-4 from and didn't have issues.
It's not a USN carrier, yes, but a set of small carriers that nicely represent A-4's home in Australian, Argentinian, and Brasilian services.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

47 minutes ago, WinterH said:

Do take a look at this mod:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315543/

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315544/

It's in two parts, but I've found it to be pretty nice, did use it with a friend for a while to fly the A-4 from and didn't have issues.
It's not a USN carrier, yes, but a set of small carriers that nicely represent A-4's home in Australian, Argentinian, and Brasilian services.

Yes sir!  I've got those.  Melbourne II, a Majestic-class carrier.  It's only 700 ft long by 80 ft wide.

Clemenceau is larger at 870 ft long by 168 ft wide, about 32,000 tons.

Would like to have an Essex-class...about 880 ft long by 148 ft wide, about 46,000 tons.

And would like to have the British Audacious class carriers, like Ark Royal R-09, 804 ft long by 171 ft wide and 53,000 tons, loaded.

Now that I have v2.0.0 RC3 of the A-4E-C Skyhawk up and running, I'll have to try out all the carriers again.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/26/2021 at 1:41 AM, WinterH said:

I was most definitely out of date!!  Thanks!  Cancel the wish, DCS!  It's already here!!  Dang!  I guess I kept looking at:  Community A-4E Project | The Community Repo for A-4E-C and its Official Submods (heclak.github.io)   ....and kept seeing version 1.4.  I thought work on the A-4E-C had reached its end.  I think this page needs to be updated!!

I have version 2.0.0 now.  Wow!   This is one sweet mod, now!  I've discovered a lot!

Radios work.  It seems, not always, but often, you need to set the correct UHF comm frequency to get a response.  Good.

Flight Model:  Feels much more fluid and properly limited, now.  The clean A-4E is a scooter!  Start hanging things under the wings and it really drags down.  Even a pair of Sidewinders is a drag.  I think this is realistic, though.  And yet you can hang 12 Mk-82's underneath and still fly reasonably well.  That's a 6,000 lb load on a 13,000 lb aircraft! (not including internal fuel).

In-flight refueling:  You can refuel from the KC-130 and S-3B Tanker (probably the KC-135 with the 'basket', too).  It seems like you must have the tanker's UHF frequency set on your comm radio to communicate with the tanker...which makes sense.  It sure would be nice to have an (AI) A-4E-C Tanker that would carry the refueling store on the centerline and 300-gallon tanks on pylons 2 & 4 (and no pylons carried at stations 1 & 5).  Would also be nice to have an (AI) KA-6D Tanker (carrying five 300-gallon tanks) and KA-3B Tanker in DCS.  An (AI) A-1J Skyraider with external tanks and external refueling store would be nice, too.  (And an (AI) Grumman E-1B Tracer as the AWACS).  Throw in an angled-deck Essex carrier and this would be all set for Yankee Station.

Carrier Landings:  I can make approaches to carriers now and get the FLOLS to appear and LSO to comment on my landings (not sure if that comes from having Supercarrier module).  Although, the LSO's lateral guidance seems to be off-center for the Melbourne II and Clemenceau carriers.  But if I ignore that, and ignore the "wave-off, wave-off", I can catch a wire practically every time on Clemenceau (but not on Melbourne).  No more exploding!!  I haven't found the correct version of the Hermes carrier that has arresting wires, yet.

APC:  The automatic power compensator (auto-throttle) works very well and makes carrier approaches much easier.  I set elevator trim for 6-deg., full flaps, gear down, hook down and engage the APC.  You have to hold the nose up quite a high in attitude.  For those like me who are addicted to HUDs with velocity vectors, if you set the A-4's bomb sight to about 164 mil, the center of the sight is a pretty good indicator of where you're going in this landing configuration.  If you're high on the ball, hold the site about 5-10 mil below the end of the carrier deck and vice versa for being low.  The APC will take care of the throttle, and you'll make a controlled correction.  I can make nice, slow, stabilized approaches this way.

Radar:  Awesome!  Far, far improved over the one in ver1.4!!  It actually 'paints' recognizable terrain now.  It paints the ships at sea and buildings on land, too.  Unfortunately, it does not paint aircraft.  It "should" be able to, within range.  It wouldn't track or lock on any targets, but it should show those with sufficient radar cross-section...which can help in locating wingmen or tankers.  However, that may be a problem to implement, I don't know.

Bombing computer:  I used to have a hard time getting on the right dive angle, speed and release altitude at the calculated mil-setting on the bomb sight before.  Now, with the bomb computer, you set the sight at 0-mils and the Weapon Mode selector at CMPTR.  And set the radar to GRND mode.  Put the bombsight on the target at greater than 30-deg dive, press-and-hold the bomb release button and start a gradual pull-up.  The bombs release automatically at the required time.  In combination with the intervalometer, I can lay 6 Mk-82's down a row of targets pretty easily, now.  I'm not sure it works on ships at sea, though.

And I do all this in VR with a Rift S headset.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Hiob said:

I think the topic needs to buried or renamed.... It's kind of misleading....

True.  How do I rename it?  Or, I'm fine with having it removed, entirely from here.  I've copied my last post of positive comments on the mod in a single post on the Community A-4E 2.0 thread.  This is the last I'm going to post here.

• Andrew8604 changed the title to A-4E Skyhawk - Full Module? Not needed, now that we have the Community A-4E-C version 2.0.0+ !!
On 1/19/2022 at 3:50 AM, razo+r said:

You should be able to change it by editing the first post. 

Thanks!  I did.  I edited the first post.  Is it good now or have I ruined it?  Or should I just "hide" the whole topic?  Is this of any use to anyone, or just a distraction, or garbage? 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Andrew8604 said:

Thanks!  I did.  I edited the first post.  Is it good now or have I ruined it?  Or should I just "hide" the whole topic?  Is this of any use to anyone, or just a distraction, or garbage? 

It's perfectly fine. Great for potential newcomers. 😊

Cheers!

9 hours ago, Andrew8604 said:

Well done! 

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"