Icao Standard ATC comms.

flusky99

Know it’s trivial, but would be really nice to have standard ICAO ATC comms implemented (particularly the takeoff vs ready for departure call, approach calls…) 

understand it’s a combat sim, but would really be the icing on the cake.

merry Christmas BTW.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

+1, IMO, the new ATC system needs to have at least the features, and work just as well as the other F-16 orientated sim (which does do things like ready for departure and hold short/ position and hold/cleared for takeoff), as well as a report airborne for departure.

It also handles different types of approaches, schedules correctly, one critical feature is that the AI also interacts and coordinates with it, as well as flies proper departures and approaches. Ground, tower and approach/departure are on separate frequencies, and there's also a native ATIS.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Know it’s trivial, but would be really nice to have standard ICAO ATC comms implemented (particularly the takeoff vs ready for departure call, approach calls…) 

merry Christmas BTW.

In the new Iron Flag campaign by Baltic Dragon, you have different frequencies for approach, departure etc. ATC will be overhauled, more information about improved ATC will follow in January newsletter
  • Like 1

I personally would also like to retain the Russian (USSR/CIS/WP) style ATC for those combinations of theater, coalition, and aircraft which justify it. It would be disappointing to loose the unique QFE/Metric/Russian Language system we currently have, and which is unique to DCS.

Edited by randomTOTEN

1 hour ago, randomTOTEN said:

I personally would also like to retain the Russian (USSR/CIS/WP) style ATC for those combinations of theater, coalition, and aircraft which justify it. It would be disappointing to loose the unique QFE/Metric/Russian Language system we currently have, and which is unique to DCS.

I'm pretty confident I remember it being said that the new ATC system will incorporate a western system, an eastern system, and a WWII system.

EDIT: It was in the January 8th 2021 newsletter:

Air Traffic Control (ATC)

Over the past year, our primary ATC focus has been on the Supercarrier. Now that the Supercarrier ATC system is nearing completion, we will next move on to airfield ATC radio communications. Given the scope of DCS World, this is not a simple task, and it will require three separate ATC systems: Western Modern Day, Eastern Modern Day, and World War II. 

Because this effort will require a large amount of new radio voice overs, we will also take this opportunity to update the radio communications for other entities like flight members, other flights, AWACS, tankers, etc.

This will continue to be developed in 2021, but we do not have an estimated release date.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 12/26/2021 at 12:23 PM, flusky99 said:

well, i for one don't think it's trivial at all, but an essential feature missing in the sim 😄 not sure though, if they use ICAO phraseology in the military.

seems like ED is aiming big again, and it's gonna be a while for ATC to be updated. in the meantime i would be very happy, if they could replace qfe with QNH, and meters with FEET (respective KNOTS instead of m/s) for western aircraft operation.

Edited by HILOK
  • Like 3

So,

Military absolutely use ICAO standard phraseology. There are a few, very minor differences, but all the stuff not on tactical chat/TacCon etc is done using ICAO. None of this Angels or BRA stuff. Its only when you chop to Tac that you start using phraseology like "elevate Angels 200" and start to refer to killbox lines. What we call NATO APP-7E.  CAP 413 is the UK equivalent document that discusses standard phraseology. There are plenty others. 

QFE is typically military, although more and more, the mil are now training to QNH.  You cant use QFE in places like Afghanistan, as the altimeter doesn't have sufficient wind-on. I guess Nellis would be similar. you would train on QNH there (every time I went to Nellis, as a large aircraft, they always put us on QNH). I love the Nellis area model BTW, its phenomenally accurate. 

I was a military flyer for 17 years, 14 spent operationally flying on OEF/OIF and a load of other stuff in Africa. A trash/bog roll hauler though (although we did tactical stuff too). Still love to  Fox-3 against my old types! 😉 

Thanks for the responses above, looks like DCS is coming on leaps and bounds. 

Edited by flusky99
  • Thanks 1