F-18 Missing hand rest

dnick

Hello, 

I've switched from the Hotas warthog to the Superlibra+F-18 grip and until the desk stands arrive in a couple of weeks I'm using it on the desk. As the Warthog joystick has a hand rest in the lower part, I find the hand in the f-18 stick not so confortable. Is it because I hse it on the desk or because the original F18 was not so confortable?

I'm working o designing an add on accesory for 3d printing it to work as pal stand... I'll see if I can make it confortable...

Best regards and happy holidays.

Nicholas

35 minutes ago, dnick said:

Hello, 

I've switched from the Hotas warthog to the Superlibra+F-18 grip and until the desk stands arrive in a couple of weeks I'm using it on the desk. As the Warthog joystick has a hand rest in the lower part, I find the hand in the f-18 stick not so confortable. Is it because I hse it on the desk or because the original F18 was not so confortable?

I'm working o designing an add on accesory for 3d printing it to work as pal stand... I'll see if I can make it confortable...

Best regards and happy holidays.

Nicholas

I think it´s real f18 stick design. It´s designed to be hold in the upper part, much higher than warthog´s. Also notice a rest for your right thumb over the CMS hat. It´s like your whole wrist forming a pincer may be positioned right under the head.
Also bear in mind your seat and the height of your base, extensions...

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

As the grip is based on the real one so it's going to be uncomfortable at desk height....just the way it is.

• Like 1

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

En 29/12/2021 a las 23:18, Simm0 dijo:

Essentially the real grip is designed for centre mount, if you put it there at the right height you dont need the hand rest.

I think you are totally right, feels way better with the Zalem mount. This raises another question. I've ordered the extension to Winging and I believe that with the extension it will end too high... what mast length do you use with extensions? does it make sense to order one down to the floor to make it stiffer??

Thank you for the answers. and Happy 2022!

photo_2021-12-30_23-46-37.jpg

On 12/31/2021 at 9:54 AM, dnick said:

I think you are totally right, feels way better with the Zalem mount. This raises another question. I've ordered the extension to Winging and I believe that with the extension it will end too high... what mast length do you use with extensions? does it make sense to order one down to the floor to make it stiffer??

Thank you for the answers. and Happy 2022!

photo_2021-12-30_23-46-37.jpg

I'm using the extension fully out on the monster mount, it looks like it's a bit longer than the one in your photo, based on the height of your stick I'd say you need a mount that's at least 200mm longer to use the extension.

I have the TM F/A-18 stick, but faced the same problem. I use a long monstertech mount and a 100mm extension. This way the stick is the right height for me and I have no need for additonal hand rest.

Willdass setup.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@Willdass

Setup: VPC Warbrd with TM F/A-18 stick on 10cm extension, Realsimulator FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra with F16SGRH grip, Winwing Super Taurus throttle, SimGears F-16 ICP, Winwing Combat and Take Off Panels, TM TPR Pendular Rudders,  3x TM Cougar MFD's, Simshaker Jetpad, Wacom Intuos S for OpenKneeboard.

PC: RTX 4090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64gb RAM 3600mhz, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2, Meta Quest Pro

hace 5 horas, Willdass dijo:

I have the TM F/A-18 stick, but faced the same problem. I use a long monstertech mount and a 100mm extension. This way the stick is the right height for me and I have no need for additonal hand rest.

Willdass setup.jpg

hello, thank you for the recommendation. I received last week my zalem mouint and the extension and feels way better that on the desk.

I see you have a realsimulator base with the F-16 grip. how does it feel vs the Superlibra?

Best regards

Nicholas 

2 hours ago, dnick said:

hello, thank you for the recommendation. I received last week my zalem mouint and the extension and feels way better that on the desk.

I see you have a realsimulator base with the F-16 grip. how does it feel vs the Superlibra?

Best regards

Nicholas 

I don't own the supralibra ( warbrd) so I can not speak to the difference in feel. But I do love the realsimulator base for flying the f16 and would highly recommend it, but not as a replacement for your setup. For flying warbirds and other jets with centermount sticks I prefer the warbrd+extension. Different planes, different needs. Love having the options.

Setup: VPC Warbrd with TM F/A-18 stick on 10cm extension, Realsimulator FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra with F16SGRH grip, Winwing Super Taurus throttle, SimGears F-16 ICP, Winwing Combat and Take Off Panels, TM TPR Pendular Rudders,  3x TM Cougar MFD's, Simshaker Jetpad, Wacom Intuos S for OpenKneeboard.

PC: RTX 4090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64gb RAM 3600mhz, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2, Meta Quest Pro

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2022 at 1:38 AM, Willdass said:

Willdass setup.jpg

Looks nice but how do you use the keyboard?

Buzz

10 hours ago, BuzzU said:

Looks nice but how do you use the keyboard?

Thx. I don't. My mouse has enough buttons which I use as a substitue.

3 hours ago, BuzzU said:

Did you type your post with your mouse?

yes