CBU-97/105 inaccuracy

Csgo GE oh yeah

• ED Team

Was fixed, if you are seeing issues please attach a short track replay example

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Last night I dropped 12 snakeyes spaced 250ft on Hoggit's training server on the line of trucks on the small airfield.  Centered the pipper on the intersection and blanketed the entire runway.  I did end up with CCRP queues though while holding pickle for about 10 seconds until they started dropping.  It worked flawlessly.

Hotdognz...by any chance were you dropping more than one?  If you are dropping more than one the pipper should be placed in the middle of the string.  In my example, I wanted to hit the whole runway...so I did the math with the spacing, and put the pipper in the middle of the runway.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are two possibilities, other than the potential for a bug/error introduced with the recent fix, that I can see. The most likely is that, unlike the -105/-103, these CBUs are purely ballistic and there is no correction for wind in CCRP (and possibly CCIP) in the sim. Windage is the pilot's responsibility. Release altitude and wind can have a significant effect on impact point in relation to aim point. Higher release altitudes and higher wind velocity will experience greater divergence than low altitude releases and low/no wind. The bomblets/pucks experience drift too. Basically, the longer the time between release and each individual bomblet/puck's impact, the greater the divergence and dispersion.

The second possibility is how CCRP is implemented in the game. I can only offer a WAG since what I know about the workings of the sim is a close approximation of zero. I've read that radar ranging is not implemented in CCRP and, possibly, CCIP. Without radar ranging to refine the computed release solution, it is subject to positioning, velocity, and altitude errors in the data provided by Viper's INS/GPS. Add errors in how you fly the run in with wind and system errors and the weapon can be way off target.

Edited by tweet

Ran a few tests and I don´t see an accuracy issue, but I got the impression that ED reduced the footprint of the Submunitions.

The Test Setup:
- DCS 2.7.9.17830 Open Beta
- Default DCS Day, no Wind, etc
- Airstart
- Level CCRP delivery, 450kts @ 6000ft MSL
- 2xCBU-97, default setting

Of 6 tests 50% did bracket the Target, 50% destroyed 2 Tanks after the Target. In all Tests the Target below the SP was destroyed.
Looking in SloMo you can see the Canister opening pretty much on top of the WP, dispersing the Bomblets in a nice line along the Flightpath.

CAU_20_97_VLD_001.trk CAU_97_TST.miz

• Thanks 2

52d_Sig_Pic3.png

Does the CBU97 still require a super steep dive in order to avoid the delay cue? I could only drop CBU97s in CCRP or in CCIP with the delay cue. It was mostly impossible to do the latter without the delay cue.  

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

Has anyone found a proper way of dropping these bombs? They are so inconsistent. I did two passes trying to hit the same target. First time bombs overshot it by 100-150ft, on second pass they dropped right on target.

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

On 1/8/2022 at 6:57 PM, Marklar said:

Has anyone found a proper way of dropping these bombs? They are so inconsistent. I did two passes trying to hit the same target. First time bombs overshot it by 100-150ft, on second pass they dropped right on target.

Other than the Method used in my Video further up I could offer this:

In both cases I can hit the Target repeatedly.

52d_Sig_Pic3.png

Dropping them with CCIP pipper inside the HUD was never a problem. They occur when you designate a target with pipper outside the HUD, usually in a shallow dive.

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

+1

Level bomb at 2000', drops long.

Loft at 5000', bomblets end up in a different postal code than the one aimed at. 

Dive with CCIP in HUD: get hits, but the centroid of the bomblet pattern is still nowhere near where the CCIP was pointed. Sometimes short, sometimes long, depending on angle and release altitude. 

MK83s are fine. 

E. I understand that the INS will screw up the bombsight, so I used fresh airstart planes. 

Edited by Preendog

• ED Team

Hi all, 

we are still investigating this, it maybe related to some other reports we currently have open. 

thank you

• Thanks 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 1/11/2022 at 6:58 PM, Preendog said:

centroid of the bomblet pattern is still nowhere near where the CCIP was pointed

CCIP is calculated for dispenser, not bomblets. When they deploy parachutes they do drift a lot with strong wind. I don’t think it was always the case but it’s how they work since October update. Turn off wind in mission editor and you will see a difference.

Thx Marklar.  I did another test to try with wind, and I have no idea what to make of the results.

Attack Ticonderoga on Crimea with CBU97 from south to north.  Place pipper at center of ship waterline and hold pickle, flying perfectly straight afterward until release.  Note impact pattern.

Without wind it looks like the game is calculating only the canister ballistics, and the bomblets naturally fall shorter than that, but it's reasonable.  With wind it is totally messed up, like a mile away, and I don't know why.  The crosswind effect is present as expected (and it matches the left arrow direction in the mission editor), but there is also a massive southern error.  I wonder if anyone can reproduce.

e. again, fresh airstart planes and time compression for accuracy.

mn8Yi7N.png

Edited by Preendog

In windy conditions I learned to aim off a target and make a guess how far bomblets will drift. It's good to have a smoke nearby to check where the wind is blowing.

See my video I recorded a few days ago. On the first run I placed the pipper in the centre and you can see how far bomblets drifted away. On the second run I aimed to the right of the targets and had much better results.

There was also a third run at 4m:40s where CCIP went bonkers. I placed the pipper, Solution Cue appeared on the HUD but it got stuck for some reason. It was not moving down as it suppose to. When this happens bombs always overshot a target. I cannot figure out why this is happening and what I am doing wrong. 

Agreed, it normally works ok, but sometimes the release is extremely early or late.  I thought it might be related to the wind direction, so I attacked the Tico from multiple directions repeatedly.  

WrYr5eA.png

From most angles, the canister breaks just before the ship and the bomblets drift astern (ok).  But approaching from SSE or NW caused the canister to drop before or after the release cue reaches the VV.  I did the red and light blue approaches 5 times each.  Red approach always dropped far short.  Light blue approach always dropped when expected. 

After turning off wind, red and yellow approaches drop normally.

Altering the approach angle, or diving, however, completely changed the results (eg. moving red approach 10deg eastward makes the release normal).  Did 50 tries looking for a pattern, give up.  oDFij71.png

For sure tho:

-Sometimes bomb will drop immediately on pickle press, ignoring delay period.
-Sometimes bomb will drop before VV reaches release cue.
-Sometimes bomb will drop long after release cue passes VV.
-Sometimes the sight will show one delay and solution, but after pickle hold, show a totally different delay and solution.
-It may or may not be related to wind being on, or wind direction relative to your heading.

Edited by Preendog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

wow... that's some pretty in depth testing. Weird results for sure!

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

• ED Team
On 1/16/2022 at 11:12 PM, Colonel Akir Nakesh said:

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread, but CBU105s seem to be falling short or dispensing almost immediately when popping up for a toss bomb run...sometimes. I can't seem to force it to do it 100% of the time, though.

Level bombing seems to be fine. Track file attached!cbushort.trk

Hi its a different issue, you are trying to toss the CBU 105

• ED Team
On 1/14/2022 at 1:11 AM, Preendog said:

Thx Marklar.  I did another test to try with wind, and I have no idea what to make of the results.

Attack Ticonderoga on Crimea with CBU97 from south to north.  Place pipper at center of ship waterline and hold pickle, flying perfectly straight afterward until release.  Note impact pattern.

Without wind it looks like the game is calculating only the canister ballistics, and the bomblets naturally fall shorter than that, but it's reasonable.  With wind it is totally messed up, like a mile away, and I don't know why.  The crosswind effect is present as expected (and it matches the left arrow direction in the mission editor), but there is also a massive southern error.  I wonder if anyone can reproduce.

e. again, fresh airstart planes and time compression for accuracy.

mn8Yi7N.png

Please include the track replay of the failed attempt we can take a closer look. 

I have tested today with the CBU-97 and I am not seeing any issue myself. 

9 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Please include the track replay of the failed attempt we can take a closer look. 

Please see attached track file. I dropped 4 bombs, two hit the target, two overshot it by 2,000ft or more.

A 4K video footage from this test. The failed attempts at 1m15s and 2m25s.

f16bombs2.trk

• 7 months later...

Yep I'm having the very same problem.... this also happens with the CCIP, the bombs dropping way short of indicated aiming reticule indicator every time.

This has only started happening for me since the last update. to DCS and the F-16.

Also an issue with the TGP and Calibration of the Mavs. TGP is freezing up, WPN Lock won't lock so can't calibrate Mavs

Edited by Hawk_UK
  • Like 2