Map Performance

C3PO

Hi All - I listened to an excellent postcast recently on the development of the South Atlantic- think it was a few months old. Fascinating and excellent work. My one slight worry was that the developer spoke about the desire to get all the detail showing during low level helo passes … I was wondering what impact that might have on performance - and whether that impact might be felt by jet pilots. The videos look fabulous, but I wonder what degree of optimisation is done / needs to be done? I know the recent Marianna islands release from ED was quite stuttery in places, particularly in VR, before several optimisation passes were done. Thanks for all the hard work.

Edited by C3PO
  • Like 1

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

• 4 weeks later...

That would be my biggest worry too.
I fly exclusively in VR and Marianas is still unplayable for me. And I don´t want to make "special" graphics settings for single maps.

I think, I´ll wait for a couple of reviews before buying the map ...

• Like 5

For the Falklands themselves, they're quite barren, and there's only a few areas that would need to be populated with any objects at all (mostly concentrated around Stanley and Mount Pleasant), so it should only really be terrain mesh and textures, so I'm expecting performance to be far better than say for instance, Guam, where objects are extremely dense.

Edited by Northstar98
formatting
  • Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 3 months later...

My computer is old now, with only a GTX 970 card.  The Caucasus, Persian Gulf, Nevada, Normandy and Channel maps all still work fine for me.  The newer maps look a lot, lot better, and I'm happy that they exist.  If I want to buy and enjoy them, I'll have to seriously upgrade my computer, which was bought new in 2014.  Considering the number of maps which still work really well for lower spec machines, I think ED are doing the right thing by introducing stellar quality maps which will require new machines today.  They even released the free Marianas map which we can use to test if our computer is up to spec for the new maps, before we purchase.  Soon enough, these maps will be obtainable and useable by all anyway, as hardware tech moves on.

Edited by C_W_S
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 4:55 PM, Northstar98 said:

For the Falklands themselves, they're quite barren, and there's only a few areas that would need to be populated with any objects at all (mostly concentrated around Stanley and Mount Pleasant), so it should only really be terrain mesh and textures, so I'm expecting performance to be far better than say for instance, Guam, where objects are extremely dense.

I guess the lack of things such as trees does potentially open up the possibilty of using higher quality objects eleswhere though and possibly even more detailed terrain tiles?. Like you Im hoping for decent performance as a result of the reduction in trees although Im sure there will be mainland locations less barren. 

• Like 1

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

Id like to know that anybody tested it in VR mode, how its going?

• Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

2 hours ago, C_W_S said:

My computer is old now, with only a GTX 970 card.  The Caucasus, Persian Gulf, Nevada, Normandy and Channel maps all still work fine for me.  The newer maps look a lot, lot better, and I'm happy that they exist.  If I want to buy and enjoy them, I'll have to seriously upgrade my computer, which was bought new in 2014.  Considering the number of maps which still work really well for lower spec machines, I think ED are doing the right thing by introducing stellar quality maps which will require new machines today.  They even released the free Marianas map which we can use to test if our computer is up to spec for the new maps, before we purchase.  Soon enough, these maps will be obtainable and useable by all anyway, as hardware tech moves on.

This is a really good point, and I fully agree. If I want/expect the maps to continue improving in quality/texture/damage model especially for an improved ground war experience, I need to do my part and ensure I have a machine that can handle it.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/19/2022 at 7:15 AM, Eugel said:

I think, I´ll wait for a couple of reviews before buying the map ...

And here I am, not following my own advice 😄

Good news is, the (VR) perfomance is nowhere near as bad as on the Marianas map. I´d even say it is very good, unless there are more than a dozen or so houses on the screen ...

My GPU is an older GTX-1070ti and at a pretty high resolution (3440x1440) I get between 30 and 60 fps depending on the map zone I am, I'd say that it has better performance than Marianas and about the same as Syria ... but I'm really happy exploring the Map, started by checking my own country, at Torres del Paine national park:

t4dzu2B.jpg

SOo5HtE.jpg

deTITDD.jpg

sOI4zpS.jpg

tXSkFG5.jpg

INaN5oX.jpg

lbMZfwu.jpg

tF7xYsO.jpg

Mn9S5IE.jpg

Really happy to have my country on DCS .. thanks a lot Razbam 🙏

• Like 18

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

On 5/13/2022 at 2:45 AM, YoYo said:

Id like to know that anybody tested it in VR mode, how its going?

So. Top tier system 12900k/3090, VR G2... Its "ok"... In the boonies 90fps... Near most "settlements" like 45-65 fps. A few of the bigger settlements on the argentine mainland its worse (i.e. less than 45 fps). 

Mind you most other maps are like 90fps most of the time in SP with the same settings. Syria gets into the 45-65 region sometimes in places like damascus. That being said none of these settlements are anywhere the size of damascus.

IDK how performance scales to lower level GFX/CPU tho.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

55 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

So. Top tier system 12900k/3090, VR G2... Its "ok"... In the boonies 90fps... Near most "settlements" like 45-65 fps. A few of the bigger settlements on the argentine mainland its worse (i.e. less than 45 fps). 

Mind you most other maps are like 90fps most of the time in SP with the same settings. Syria gets into the 45-65 region sometimes in places like damascus. That being said none of these settlements are anywhere the size of damascus.

IDK how performance scales to lower level GFX/CPU tho.

This is mine:

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

3 hours ago, YoYo said:

This is mine:

Może jak DCS przejdzie na Vulcan’a to będzie lepiej, póki co procesory z lepszą wydajnością jednowątkową zapewniają więcej fps niż lepsza karta graficzna. ED mógłby i pewnie coś tam robi aby DCS wykorzystywał bardziej dostępne zasoby CPU, ideałem byłoby aby wykorzystywał do 32 rdzeni 64 wątków. Jako iż DCS jest już z nami tyle czasu i pewnie jeszcze co najmniej drugie tyle jeszcze przed nami, koszt napisania (pewnie od nowa) silnika gry aby w pełni korzystał z zasobów systemowych byłby opłacalny.

12900k w operacjach jednowątkowych jest chyba ze 40% szybszy niż 9900k, a jak jeszcze wyłączy się te e-cores to algorytm turbo boost pewnie zwiększy tę różnicę.

• Like 1

VR for me is great , hasnt dropped below 50-60 fps anyway yet its better than the Marianna's but thats to be expected with the vegetation it has where fauklands doesnt have much.

need to fly round south America a bit to see what its like its a bigg map

so far i reckon its an awesome map the Razbam guys did great, admittedly ive got a high end system .

Ryzen 7 7800x3D with AIO, RTX4080 Eagle OC, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz HP Reverb G2 & Pico4 Windows 11 Pro

Awesome VR performance in this map and it’s huge and very beautiful in certain areas. Looking forward in trying it on a full blown mission with a lot of static objects ect. But just alone it runs great and very smooth. 
Great job Razbam !

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Don't use VR, but I feel the drag of performance once getting close to cities or/and especially some of the runways.  I'll admit to being surprised, given the wind-swept nature of many of these areas that performance drags so much.  I think I had unrealistic expectations that because the map would be more "empty" than others, that performance would be substantially better.   Hoping for some improvements/optimizations as time goes on.  It's still beta, so plenty of time to see improvements.  

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Burt said:

Awesome VR performance in this map and it’s huge and very beautiful in certain areas. Looking forward in trying it on a full blown mission with a lot of static objects ect. But just alone it runs great and very smooth. 
Great job Razbam !

Hi lvl yes, but only. Not on urban area and low flight near big forest. if you want to be surprised take the Ushuaia Heliport 😇.

• Like 2

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

My performance below 800 feet was quite poor, down to low 20's fps, even out in the boonies with nary a building in sight. I even get blackouts where the view goes 20-80% black for a second or two. (It's suggested to turn off mirrors to eliminate this although I've never had this problem on other maps and I own them all) 

I love how the map looks but at low level it has worse performance for me than ever Marianas or Syria over towns.

Specs are RTX3080, Quest 2 using cable, i7 11700, 32GB, SSD storage.

• Like 2

I'm running my G2 on SteamVR Beta and WMR4S, havent had the need to go OXR at this time. Have you tried switching versions in WMR to version LMK ? I was having issues in April with blacking out and over used VRam and someone1 told me to which versions in WMR to LMK and that fixed my issues and I'm still on that version. Heres my post for help.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Performance for me is decent - very smooth on the islands, even over Stanley & Mount Pleasant.  Ushuaia had a few stutters.  Rift S, medium settings, laptop 3080.

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Beirut:

Any word on RAM usage for this map?

Just took a Multiplayer flight from the Falklands across the Atlantic all to the West. The entire time my RAM was at 47GB in use. Mind you, meanwhile my settings are rather medium, so I restarted the flight, now with really high settings, and my RAM in use was instantly 54GB !

I mean, hey, this was Aerobatics Online with 10 players around midnight....ehhh...my next test will be  Liberation on SA with an overkill setting, bet it blows my RAM against the Wall and cries for MUCH more. The trend is there, 64GB won't be good enough for too long.

edit* in a F16

Edited by BitMaster
  • Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

27 minutes ago, BitMaster said:

Just took a Multiplayer flight from the Falklands across the Atlantic all to the West. The entire time my RAM was at 47GB in use. Mind you, meanwhile my settings are rather medium, so I restarted the flight, now with really high settings, and my RAM in use was instantly 54GB !

I mean, hey, this was Aerobatics Online with 10 players around midnight....ehhh...my next test will be  Liberation on SA with an overkill setting, bet it blows my RAM against the Wall and cries for MUCH more. The trend is there, 64GB won't be good enough for too long.

edit* in a F16

Thank you for the feedback. That's a lot of RAM usage. I have 32GB, but I fly SP and not big missions, so I guess that lowers my needs. Pretty funky to see DCS eat up close to 64 though.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Mostly maintaining 45fps in VR, but over built up areas which are quite sparse on this map it drops down to about 30fps, but its not a smooth experience and is quite jerky, I also get a lot of black screen flashes over the areas with lots of buildings, but hey this is early release and the first release build, they have said lots more needs to be done. It was a similar situation for me with the channel map I had the same FPS drop over populated areas, but for the last year or so channel runs fine for me now, so hopefully Razbam can do some tweeking for the areas with lots of buildings in the future. Overall the map produces some visually stunning views. Its also very noticeable how big this map is. Its very good work. 

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

7 minutes ago, westr said:

Mostly maintaining 45fps in VR, but over built up areas which are quite sparse on this map it drops down to about 30fps, but its not a smooth experience and is quite jerky, I also get a lot of black screen flashes over the areas with lots of buildings, but hey this is early release and the first release build, they have said lots more needs to be done. It was a similar situation for me with the channel map I had the same FPS drop over populated areas, but for the last year or so channel runs fine for me now, so hopefully Razbam can do some tweeking for the areas with lots of buildings in the future. Overall the map produces some visually stunning views. Its also very noticeable how big this map is. Its very good work. 

After turning off mirrors, per others suggestions, the black flashes were completely eliminated for me. Even the overall fps bumped up a frame or two during low flying. I'm going to try some flights with adversaries and I'm hopeful that it will maintain playable levels of fps.

• Like 1