Map Performance

C3PO

1 hour ago, splash said:

Performance is similar to Marianas or more close to Siria or Persian Gulf?

Impossible to say, some say they can bearly run it. Others say its fine 

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

1 hour ago, splash said:

19 minutes ago, splash said:

I will end up buying it to take advantage of the early access discount, but I have lots of doubts about performance in my 1070.

Performance is similar to Syria, except over large cities, where its sightly less. It runs much better than Marianas. I have a 1070ti and get from 25 to 60 fps, depending on the area ... here are some of my screenshots:

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I'd love to just give it a try using a trial period but it's not an option right now. I'll hold off until it is. Marianas is ok-ish for me, I don't really use it because the performance drops are too obvious. Syria could be better but it's enjoyable. I suspect South Atlantic will be somewhere between for me but until I can load it onto my system and see, I'm not going to risk the money.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shibbyland said:

I'd love to just give it a try using a trial period but it's not an option right now. I'll hold off until it is. Marianas is ok-ish for me, I don't really use it because the performance drops are too obvious. Syria could be better but it's enjoyable. I suspect South Atlantic will be somewhere between for me but until I can load it onto my system and see, I'm not going to risk the money.

Someday it will go to the trial period for sure, may by then they'll solved the performance problem on urban / airports and forests area before (below 1000ft), I hope so. Emptiness on the map is not a problem for me at current stage, it will definitely happen over time and I don't care about that, but it's worse with performance. Closer to Marianas, which I do not use at all because of terrible optimalization (Guam).

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

On 6/11/2022 at 1:17 PM, splash said:

Worse than Syria and a lot worse than PG map (on urban areas where you have many buildings and objects) and near big forests (a lot worse than Caucasus). The rest are quite empty so no FPS issue, also no issue on high level flight but its normal, like on the others map. Map is dedicated most for jets and high level operations, not for low and slow kind of flight on copters or small jets.

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 3

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

On 6/9/2022 at 6:11 AM, CaptJodan said:

Don't use VR, but I feel the drag of performance once getting close to cities or/and especially some of the runways.  I'll admit to being surprised, given the wind-swept nature of many of these areas that performance drags so much.  I think I had unrealistic expectations that because the map would be more "empty" than others, that performance would be substantially better.   Hoping for some improvements/optimizations as time goes on.  It's still beta, so plenty of time to see improvements.  

Well, as I mentioned earlier. The "empty" parts of the map are 90fps in VR. Thats not the issue. Its just when you get close to any civilized area performance tanks. Mind you thats with an empty map. I haven't tried an online server but I'd worry about a map loaded with units. 

On 6/11/2022 at 5:17 AM, splash said:

Its very good as long as you aren't near civilization. But the southern most city/helo port is like damascus on a bad day when it was first released. That being said I'm sure they will further optimize the map just like Ugra did with Syria.

• Like 2

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

34 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

Well, as I mentioned earlier. The "empty" parts of the map are 90fps in VR. Thats not the issue. Its just when you get close to any civilized area performance tanks. Mind you thats with an empty map. I haven't tried an online server but I'd worry about a map loaded with units. 

Yes, this matches my efforts for the most part.  I'm not sure I get terrible hits even around the towns and cities as I fly through them as much as getting on or near runways/airfields.  These really drag down the FPS.  These are mostly empty map tests as well, I'm not throwing assets on the map for these tests.  But right now take offs and landings are near a slideshow, but once I get a few hundred feet airborne, everything smooths out.  

Performance vise is surely the worst of all maps, since its the only one which uses real world terrain texturing - all maps from before use only a few which are then used for all the terrain.

There is thousands of textures for SA map just for covering the terrain; I know I do the same thing, but in a very small scale, compared to that.  

We just cannot compare the amount of work with SA map, and any other in DCS! Its like 1000x1 (but probably more), regarding terrain texturing. So be happy if you are in approx. same range then on any other map. We are only lucky we have just few man made objects on the map, if that would be cities and huge airports, it would be like few times worse.

Where SA creators really are not good, are on those few man-made objects, they look like in a sim frow 20yrs ago. They have to FIX that.

• Like 1

Up high performance for me has been ... very high, probably the highest of all.

At airports and around airports.....

By far the worst I've ever experienced in DCS.

Something is very wrong with some of the airports. Flew around the mainland with some buddies this past weekend to check out the map; they were doing touch and goes in Vipers, and when they touched down... my FPS would drop to single... SINGLE! digits!

Oddly, taking off as a group out of an airfield, it doesn't seem to be an issue; but later on "in the day" for some reason, I can't figure out what the cause is. I've played with my settings, lowering preload radius to 50,000 helped tremendously, but still getting insanely low lows when near or on the ground.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, XCNuse said:

At airports and around airports.....

By far the worst I've ever experienced in DCS.

Something is very wrong with some of the airports. Flew around the mainland with some buddies this past weekend to check out the map; they were doing touch and goes in Vipers, and when they touched down... my FPS would drop to single... SINGLE! digits!

Oddly, taking off as a group out of an airfield, it doesn't seem to be an issue; but later on "in the day" for some reason, I can't figure out what the cause is. I've played with my settings, lowering preload radius to 50,000 helped tremendously, but still getting insanely low lows when near or on the ground.

Right. Personally, Im waiting for any answer to these problems from Razbam Terrain Team how they will optimize those part of map. This is must be the first move from his side, before next urban, forest and airports areas. Otherwise, the map will become unplayable as you add more content.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Won’t run for me 😧

At least not with the Mossie from Port Stanley… not sure if it’s that combo or not 

Game loads, but then freezes as soon as you enter the cockpit - will set up a few other missions in ME and see if choice of aircraft / start locn / altitude makes any difference

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rkk01 said:

Won’t run for me 😧

At least not with the Mossie from Port Stanley… not sure if it’s that combo or not 

Game loads, but then freezes as soon as you enter the cockpit - will set up a few other missions in ME and see if choice of aircraft / start locn / altitude makes any difference

Ok, as a quick update…

… seems like it was an issue with a DCS naval asset mod that was causing DCS to hang - not the SA map or Mossie / Port Stanley combo…

have now flown around the Falklands and the Patagonian fjords in the Mossie, and am very impressed.

Amazed how large the Falklands alone are. The barren landscape is excellently done, gives a real feel of wilderness flying that the other maps don’t get close to. The textures and colour palette really do the ground justice. Felt like flying over Dartmoor

As far as the fjords are concerned, yes the terrain mesh and texturing will benefit from future EA work, but hunting ships in the steep narrow fjords is challenging and really immersive. This part of the map really is like Norway. Got shredded by Prinz Eugen and Z39 in one fjord.

Mossie is the perfect fit aircraft for this map. Just need some WW2 era transports to provide a target rich environment

• Like 2

Hi All,

Have now done quite a few missions in the SA out of PA - and I’m loving it. It feels so different to other maps and it’s even more enticing than my favourite, Syria. Sure, the textures in South America around the mountains need improving low down, but at 15k it doesn’t really bother me at all. I did a SEAD mission tonight flying south towards an airbase on the coast, nestled behind mountains, and it was fantastic! Kudos to all involved in bringing this to the community and looking forward to even more improvements when they come! Great job.

Edited by C3PO
  • Like 2

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

• 2 weeks later...

The problem of the fps that I have on SA and just when I'm on the ground (between 6 & 10 fps) boring
but as soon as I exceed 300 feet my fps goes back to 30 fps (because it is locked at 30 fps) and the flight goes well until landing where I struggle again between 6&10fps, I hope Razbam will optimize this superb maps as soon as possible🤔

today SA is my favorite map because the graphics look so real

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

FPS issue when coming in for a landing, I have no issues of FPS problem with other maps so far. But in South Atlantic map, just when closing in for a landing, the FPS becomes so uncontrollable that I loose control of the plane that the landing becomes almost impossible. This happens almost every time when landing, other times, it is there, just sporadic. That said, I really like this map, quite scenic.

Edited by jojyrocks
  • Like 1

@CybrSlydrYou Sir, "get it"! Great screenshots and thanks for showing the perf data top left!

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

IDK, I flew a bit after the latest patch and I Think the worst spots for me around Ushiao were generally at least better FPS wise. 

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I have the map, and see between 20 and 45 FPS. It's smooth, if a little slow.

Perf was measured with deep overcast clouds.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."