TPR Pedals now hyper sensitive?

Eisprinzessin

Only wanna ask if it is intended:

My Rudder is hyper sensitiv. OK its a couple of month now that i did not touch the Viggen, but after the Update i wanted to give it a try and the Rudder is insane sensitiv. i mean it rolls like crazy. I tried to lower the saturation, but then it i a nearly impossible to steer while taxiing.

Specs:
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K   3.20 GHz,  RAM 128 GB, Win11 Home, RTX3080Ti

Make sure to fully deflect the pedals once left and right when flying your first time after starting DCS. 

The first time DCS thinks the axis is like 0.01mm wide or so. So any slight deflection equals full input ingame. Fully deflecting it will make sure the range ingame equals your actual range. 

• Like 1

Yes, I pretty much find the nose wheel steering with the rudders pretty sensitive. So I only use them while taxiing. But after a tip I read here on the forums, I've started using the stick as a rudder for take off rolls, which is actually a feature in the Viggen.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

I've started using the stick as a rudder for take off rolls

Do you know if this is a true intended design feature, or just a handy result of the rudder-aileron interconnect?

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

Do you know if this is a true intended design feature, or just a handy result of the rudder-aileron interconnect?
IIRC, yes, if I read things correctly in another thread. But I'm sure others than me can provide a better answer.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

So, i tried it, but problem is still there (even i did not have this issue in any single other module). Noswheel steering perfect with my pedals, but rudder goes insanly wild...

i try to make a clip of the behaviour.

Specs:
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K   3.20 GHz,  RAM 128 GB, Win11 Home, RTX3080Ti

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2022 at 6:03 AM, Eisprinzessin said:

So, i tried it, but problem is still there (even i did not have this issue in any single other module). Noswheel steering perfect with my pedals, but rudder goes insanly wild...

i try to make a clip of the behaviour.

The Viggen has a yaw damper that I believe is way over correcting yaw inputs making it extremely difficult to maintain directional control while landing. When I land I get horrible yaw oscillations that often result in me going off the side of the runway, even with a high curve on my rudder axis. I can fly and land warbirds, helicopters and the only plane that gives me yaw problems is the Viggen. I don’t remember it always being this bad. 

Edited by Hawkeye91

6 hours ago, Hawkeye91 said:

The Viggen has a yaw damper that I believe is way over correcting yaw inputs making it extremely difficult to maintain directional control while landing. When I land I get horrible yaw oscillations that often result in me going off the side of the runway, even with a high curve on my rudder axis. I can fly and land warbirds, helicopters and the only plane that gives me yaw problems is the Viggen. I don’t remember it always being this bad. 

Are you talking about high crosswinds? I have never had yaw problems while landing.  It has an aileron-rudder interconnect, so under normal conditions you should not have to apply rudder.

Or upon second reading, maybe you're talking about the rollout.  One thing to take note of is that the thrust reverser will destabilize you in yaw if you get too slow.  There is a red warning lamp in the upper right (same as the transonic warning) that tells you when you need to pull the throttle back to idle and disable the reverser.  If you ignore this you are likely to spin out.  It can also cause problems if you apply wheel brakes while reverse thrust is active.

Edited by Machalot
  • Like 1

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

7 hours ago, Machalot said:

Are you talking about high crosswinds? I have never had yaw problems while landing.  It has an aileron-rudder interconnect, so under normal conditions you should not have to apply rudder.

Or upon second reading, maybe you're talking about the rollout.  One thing to take note of is that the thrust reverser will destabilize you in yaw if you get too slow.  There is a red warning lamp in the upper right (same as the transonic warning) that tells you when you need to pull the throttle back to idle and disable the reverser.  If you ignore this you are likely to spin out.  It can also cause problems if you apply wheel brakes while reverse thrust is active.

No, crosswinds are pretty much a death sentence in this plane. Even just normal landing roll out with no thrust reverse I start oscillating with just the tiniest amount of rudder input. I’ve tried the rudder aileron interconnect on landing and it seems pretty impotent at really helping with directional control on roll out. 

if you watch the landings in F2 view you can see the rudder slam side to side at full deflection. Yaw dampers shouldn’t be that aggressive from my experience. 

Hm,I don't have this issue. Have you verified you don't have a noisy controller? 

I haven't looked at the rudder on F2 though. I'll check next time I play. 

3 hours ago, Hawkeye91 said:

if you watch the landings in F2 view you can see the rudder slam side to side at full deflection. Yaw dampers shouldn’t be that aggressive from my experienc

just for my curiosity Hawkeye91, have you tried landing without SPAK? Do the rudder pedals (and the rudder surface) then work so bad also?

Edited by TOViper

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

49 minutes ago, Nealius said:

I've been experiencing yaw oscillations on landings only as well, most recently a tendency to pull horribly right or left immediately after the mains touch. Winds less than 3kts. 

Are you perhaps braking too hard, leading to locked wheels and skidding? 

1 hour ago, Nealius said:

I've been experiencing yaw oscillations on landings only as well, most recently a tendency to pull horribly right or left immediately after the mains touch. Winds less than 3kts. 

Check if your wheel brake axis needs to be inverted.

17 hours ago, Hawkeye91 said:

No, crosswinds are pretty much a death sentence in this plane. Even just normal landing roll out with no thrust reverse I start oscillating with just the tiniest amount of rudder input. I’ve tried the rudder aileron interconnect on landing and it seems pretty impotent at really helping with directional control on roll out. 

if you watch the landings in F2 view you can see the rudder slam side to side at full deflection. Yaw dampers shouldn’t be that aggressive from my experience. 

I just practiced landing in a strong crosswind where I had a lot of sideslip.  Once the mains touched down I was able to ease the nose down and use the thrust reverser, and had almost no uncommanded movement in yaw.  I wonder what is different between our situations.

14 minutes ago, razo+r said:

Does that mean you are skidding or not? 

Not. This is immediately on touchdown with no brake input applied at all. The mains touch down, as the nose gear comes down, perhaps slightly after or simultaneously with the nose touching down, the nose swings either to the left or right and ruins my lineup on centerline.

Other times I'm fine. Same wind conditions. Yesterday it happened to me on three landings in a row. The days before it never happened at all.

10 hours ago, Nealius said:

Not. This is immediately on touchdown with no brake input applied at all. The mains touch down, as the nose gear comes down, perhaps slightly after or simultaneously with the nose touching down, the nose swings either to the left or right and ruins my lineup on centerline.

Other times I'm fine. Same wind conditions. Yesterday it happened to me on three landings in a row. The days before it never happened at all.

How hard are you touching down? Is it possible you're damaging the main or nose gear? 

6 hours ago, Machalot said:

How hard are you touching down? Is it possible you're damaging the main or nose gear? 

Not hard enough to damage the tires or gear but it does seem to happen when I land harder for short landings. When I float in the flare a bit more it doesn't seem to happen.

Always gear down below 550kph. Landing at on-speed AoA according to the FPM's vertical fin indicator. 

But, when it happens my FPM is not very high above the glide path line. The manuals/guides imply that if the FPM is anywhere above the glide path line your sink rate will be safe. Recently with the FPM being above the horizon line in level flight, my true vector might be on or below that glidepath line while the FPM is indicating I'm shallower than I actually am. 

Is the gear damage model such that you can break the gear and still taxi/park just fine after landing with no list or rocking?

Edited by Nealius