Will DCS support the network location (network folder)?

scommander2

Hi,

I am wondering that can DCS world is able to use network location (Not network drive) also?

For example:  I can edit/save my mission editing at the network location at the computer A, and I can play my saved mission editing at the computer B.

In the current mission editor, I see the network drives but I can't see network location.

Thanks.

Dell XPS 9730, i9-13900H, DDR5 64GB, Discrete GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080, 1+2TB M.2 SSD, TM HOTAS Warthog/TPR, TKIR5/TrackClipPro, Win 11 Pro

• scommander2 changed the title to Will DCS support the network location (network folder)?

I do this regularly using symbolic links.

I have my gaming PC and my server PC. The server system only has the dedicated server version installed, so when I want to edit the missions that server runs I do it with my main PC.

Map the network drive, then create a symbolic link within your main DCS saved games / missions folder that points to the destination on your mapped drive.

I’ve even managed to link a google drive sync folder within the saved games folder for my server, so with the user name and password, all the guys in my group can run any mission they want on my server remotely. Upload it to the google drive, then log in remotely to the web UI and run the mission from the synced folder.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Hi @sandman1330,

Thanks for sharing your DCS environment.  

Mapping a remote volumn as a network drive is the only way to share my missions with all my DCS clients since I am using the SMB/CIFS protocols on my file server.

It is a good point to share with the dedicated server to host a game 🙂

• Like 1

Dell XPS 9730, i9-13900H, DDR5 64GB, Discrete GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080, 1+2TB M.2 SSD, TM HOTAS Warthog/TPR, TKIR5/TrackClipPro, Win 11 Pro

17 hours ago, Sandman1330 said:

I have my gaming PC and my server PC.

Are you running W10?  I have found it does not network well on its own.  How are you doing this please?

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

6 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

Are you running W10?  I have found it does not network well on its own.  How are you doing this please?

Yup, windows 10.

I agree, Win 10 is very finicky with networking. I honestly can’t recall exactly what hoops I had to go through, but ensure you have enabled network discovery and set the network to a home network on all your systems. Then, ideally, when you go to “network” on your PC, they should all show up. If they are all logged into the same windows account, that will help immensely too. Otherwise you may need to go in and individually grant network permissions, and you may need to anyway. Once all this gets sorted out, you can map the saved games folder on the server as a network drive on your main pc. Then you can use a symbolic link to create a shortcut to that folder in your main pc saved games folder.

if you’re not sure how to do any of these, try googling for tutorials. If you use my exact wording (create symbolic link, map network drive) you’ll find great info.

Good Luck!

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Check this: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4339220/is-there-a-way-to-map-a-unc-path-to-a-local-folder-on-windows-2003

C:\>mklink /D Develop \\obsidian\Develop

symbolic link created for Develop <<===>> \\obsidian\Develop

Just point it at your Saved Games\DCS(.openbeta) folder and create it where that folder should be on the rig that shall fetch it from the other. Your Windows User needs access privileges to that share, of course.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Hi @Eldur, thanks and it does work with "mklink".  I am not sure why copy and create short-cut did not work but anywhere...

By the way, it is a cute pony.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scommander2 said:

Hi @Eldur, thanks and it does work with "mklink".  I am not sure why copy and create short-cut did not work but anywhere...

By the way, it is a cute pony.

Mklink is the same as a symbolic link. I’m glad it worked!

For anyone else lurking here, there is a great article on how to do this:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

I personally use the link shell extension that’s shown later in the article. Works great and is very easy!