Out of This World

Mike Force Team

Here are some options we should add to DCS, which is likely for the Mission Editor.  The new option is  add meteors and satellites.  Specifically, jet planes could shoot down hostile spy satellites or about about to use satellite's laser beam to neutralize assets.  As for the meteors, they are can be intercepted before they hit critical targets.  

Man, really...

You keep popping out these absurd wishes. Are you really serious about shooting meteors? You are kidding, right?

Or did you mean shooting at a Gloster Meteor?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

The only reason i read this sub-forum is for the entertainment value (absurdities) , and MFT certainly delivers 🙂

23 minutes ago, sirrah said:

Man, really...

You keep popping out these absurd wishes. Are you really serious about shooting meteors? You are kidding, right?

Edited by Svsmokey
  • Like 4

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

17 minutes ago, Svsmokey said:

The only reason i read this sub-forum is for the entertainment value (absurdities) , and MFT certainly delivers 🙂

Well.. Occasionally, a great idea passes by here. Properly thought through, realistically feasible and in some cases even accompanied by proof of concept in form of scripting or lua editing.

but yes, unfortunately these small gems are rare and usually snowed under by all the aircraft module requests and threads like this one, before ED can notice them..

• Like 4

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

C64-Longplay - Missile Command (720p) - YouTube

• Like 1

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

It only takes away from the legitimate ideas being discussed when one person absolutely spams the ever loving hell out of this forum with silly thread after thread every day. I would much rather have EDs time and attention go to legitimate causes, but they probably spend half their time sifting through title after title like this thread. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, sirrah said:

Man, really...

No, I am joking.  I am referring to shooting meteors that come from outer space and pass through the earth's atmosphere.  Additionally, when the F-15 is finally available, it could be used to shoot down unwanted satellites orbiting the earth.

Edited by Mike Force Team
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Phoschek said:

It only takes away from the legitimate ideas being discussed when one person absolutely spams the ever loving hell out of this forum with silly thread after thread every day. I would much rather have EDs time and attention go to legitimate causes, but they probably spend half their time sifting through title after title like this thread. 

I know the folks at ED read the posts in the forums.  Since this is the Wishlist part of the forum, I write down my ideas and suggestions.  Along with the folks at ED, there are skillful programmers that can create mods quickly and efficiently.  The knowledgeable coder is likely to create something based on a suggestion I make.  On the other hand, one of the third party vendors used by ED to create the planes, choppers, etc., might add the ideas that I or others have revealed in assorted forum posts.  

6 minutes ago, Mike Force Team said:

I am referring to shooting meteors that come from outer space and pass through the earth's atmosphere

Is this an actual role for any combat aircraft today? I think not. DCS is a realistic sim, not a fantasy game. 

• Like 4

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

16 hours ago, Mike Force Team said:

I am referring to shooting meteors that come from outer space and pass through the earth's atmosphere

Interesting. But are we to suspend physics for this? Something moving at orbital velocities (30'000+ mph) would be inside our atmosphere for all of 2-3 seconds. Your missile crawls along at some dinky 1'000 mph, and has perhaps a second to intercept. Let's say you are in position, we get instantaneous full velocity at launch, and a god-intervention-level miraculous lock on the meteor, and the computer can generate a correct intercept solution for something that lies so far out of their parameters. So it hits. When it explodes, the missile's disposable energy (let's say 2 kg of high explosives plus it's own velocity) is all it has. If that meteor is heavier than even a few pounds, all it does is grin. It's own kinetic energy is so massive that it wouldn't matter for the remainder of its 0.5 second trajectory to wipe out a farm, forest or city block.

Not to mention the fact that if it's large enough for your radar to detect (say nothing of locking on to), it's curtains for that part of the world it hits, even if you shot 10 nuclear tipped missiles at it. It doesn't matter if the mass that hits the ground is one single block weighing 100 tons, or twenty weighing five tons each, or one hundred tons of super-heated plasma. It's still 100 tons of mass that move at more than 30'000mph, with kinetic energy to match. It's the energy transfer on impact that kills. You can't dissipate that much energy, and shooting nukes at it only makes it worse (aside: 100 tons mass makes a tiny rocky meteoroid (some 5-10m across) that'll probably airburst anyway with the equivalent of some 200 kilotons TNT some 3-5 km above ground. A bad day for anyone in a 50km radius. If it's larger, metallic and strikes ground, let's say 'hold my beer' to the dinosaurs).

And since meteors move so fast, you have a lose/lose situation: If they are big enough to track from earth, it doesn't matter what you shoot at it; it's impact will kill everyone even if you can track, plot an intercept and get your planes in the air. If they are too small to track, then you have all of four seconds to look in the general direction and... whoops, too late.

Using aircraft to shoot at meteors is as H. G. Wells once wrote: "Bows and arrows against the lightning". 

Edited by cfrag
  • Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 5:52 PM, Mike Force Team said:

As for the meteors, they are can be intercepted before they hit critical targets.  

First thing - i reply assuming this thread is not a cheap provocation but legitimate lack of knowledge. Maybe i assume wrong.

So, do you know what speed meteor has flying from outer space to enter Earth's atmosphere? Around 50000kmh (fifty thousand) kilometers per hour. You would have similar chances trying to intercept it using your bare hands. Namely zero chance.

If you are legitimately interested in this topic there is a "Quora" thread with in depth technical details to show why it would be impossible and what would be the most important limitations of our newest cutting edge systems in this regard.

In short - you would need a full size space rocket (with nuclear warhead, conventional warhead would barely scratch meteor big enough to cross Earth's atmosphere) launched in advance, trying to intercept the meteor thousands of kilometers outside the Earth's atmosphere. Even this would have slim chances and requiring extreme precision in prediction of meteor's trajectory.

Edited by bies
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

We're not getting an FF F-15A in the near future, and even if we were, the average Eaglejet couldn't launch the ASM-135, the one that did was modified to be able to do so. ASAT won't ever be a thing in DCS, for many reasons.

In terms of anti-satellite capabilities, you can expect that to be classified to hell and back.

• Like 1

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

6 hours ago, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

In terms of anti-satellite capabilities, you can expect that to be classified to hell and back.

Oh come now, this is not rocket science... oh wait...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

11 hours ago, bies said:

Even this would have slim chances and requiring extreme precision in prediction of meteor's trajectory.

Plus, the aim of such an operation would be to try to nudge the object's trajectory so that it misses earth entirely. Because we have nothing that can destroy (poof out of existence) several gigatons of rock/metal hurtling towards us at escape velocity (11+ km/s); a mere break-up of the object would change nothing (unless all the broken parts miss earth).

Actually, a break-up would be incredibly helpful, if we can't kick the asteroid off target entirely. The resulting fragments would have a surface area many, many times that of the original asteroid, which, in turn, would result in greater drag and expose more area to ablation, resulting in more energy dissipated in the upper atmosphere, where it'd be quickly dissipated. Also, the energy would be distributed over a larger area, and some of the fragments would likely miss the Earth altogether. And on top of that, square-cube law dictates that the ratio of surface area to mass of each fragment will be less, resulting in lower terminal velocity. Think of throwing a stone versus a fistful of gravel of the same mass. You can kill someone with the former, with the latter, not so much. Gravel slows down faster and, instead of hitting in a single place, strikes many places at once. Same with the asteroid. By breaking up the rock you can reduce a Dinosaur-killing impactor to a rain of pebbles. Of course, it all depends just how small you can make the fragments, but even splitting the rock in two would help a lot.

Of course, in order to actually blow apart an asteroid big enough to be a threat, you wouldn't strap a tiny ASAT missile to a fighter. No, you would take the biggest nuke you can scrounge up, and put it on the biggest rocket you can procure on a short notice (and we're talking big, Titan II missile couldn't orbit its nuke, nevermind send it on an interplanetary trajectory). Anything that a fighter-based ASAT could kill would not be a threat, except to anyone and/or anything located at the impact point. 

• Like 1

Appreciate this is a wishlist thread but even so,  such threads only serve to increase the page count, not only loosing worthwhile threads in the noise (and there has been a LOT of noise recently) but reducing the chance of them being seen by a "knowledgable coder" and progressed as a mod even if ED dont.  

Now its natuarally developed into a conversation that really belongs in the chit chat section and thats only serving to keep the thread on page 1 instead of the back of beyond where, frankly, I think it belongs. 

A little self filtering all round wouldnt be a bad thing.  

• Like 4

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.