Ejection button

9thHunt

I have a programmable HID button set to send a LeftCtrl+E macro when pressed, it works fine in all of my aircraft except the Hornet.  I'm wondering what might be different about the Hornet to make it not accept that command.

I checked that tapping LeftCtrl+E on my keyboard 3 times does work in the Hornet, and as I said, this button works in all my other planes, so I'm not sure what is going on here.

I got the button on EBay and it came with very little documentation, and it's from China, so I can't count on any support there.  Anyone have any ideas?

here's a link to the EBay page:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142922652172?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D5d54aebf689c4d5dbceb30bb2e30d8e2%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D142922652172%26itm%3D142922652172%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A79e34af4-6756-11ec-9789-46683a3e2110|parentrq%3Afda7b04417d0ab97d1ba355dffebf094|iid%3A1

As a side note, does anyone know how to override the push 3 times requirement in DCS?

I tried programming the button to send the macro three times, but that didn't seem to work.

Edited by 9thHunt

What are you using to program the macro and how long does it press the key for?  DCS seems to need a longer press/hold time for a keystroke to register than some other programs.  I use a 50 millisecond hold in AutoHotKey with DCS.

I have no idea whether your programmable HID button doesn't work with the Hornet, but I created a command for a simple push button that generates the "eject" command 3 times if I push and release the button just once. I added the following line of code to the file "default.lua" in the folder "...\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Input\FA-18C\joystick":

{pressed = iCommandPlaneEject, down = iCommandPlaneEject, up = iCommandPlaneEject, name = _('Eject (push just once)'), category = _('Systems')},

...and this creates the new command "Eject (push just once)" which you can bind to a simple push button.
I added the same line of code into the "default.lua" of A-10C II, Bf-109K4 and F-16C (just for fun) and it worked there too.

Edited by LeCuvier
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

3 hours ago, rob10 said:

What are you using to program the macro and how long does it press the key for?  DCS seems to need a longer press/hold time for a keystroke to register than some other programs.  I use a 50 millisecond hold in AutoHotKey with DCS.

It uses software that was provided with the button, it's the same program shown in the description of the auction and that's basically all the documentation I have, so I have no idea if I can change the timing.

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Preendog said:

Did you enable the seat? (yellow handle on right of seat)

That would be pretty obvious from "CHECK SEAT" fault message on the left DDI as soon as you push up the throttle for takeoff... but maybe I'm wrong...

Edited by Razor18

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

LeCuvier,

Thank you for this solution.

I went to the trouble of making an ejection handle 3D print connected to a LeoBod board the got stuck at the X3 press.

YES pressing a keytop three times is an issue ...if you're in VR.

I'm yet to venture into file editing but assume Windows notepad or similar is used to edit the .lua file.

Hope to try this soon.

20220811_002333.jpg

Edited by McNasty_UK

I recommend you use Notepad++

This post contains a tutorial, and sample code for several aircraft modules: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/270080-lua-editing-for-additional-key-binds-tutorial-no-discussion-here-please/#elControls_4646929_menu

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

The "default.lua" is not under "Saved Games". It's under "...Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Input\FA-18C\joystick".
If you want to master this coding I recommend you study the tutorial under this post:
https://forum.dcs.world/topic/270080-lua-editing-for-additional-key-binds-tutorial-no-discussion-here-please/#elControls_4646929_menu

LeCuvier

GENIUS !!! It bloomin works !!!

Ok to the rest of us dipping a toe into icy programing waters.

It helps to find the default.lua file in the right menu ( be that Steam or EA Beta Download )

Quote: It's under "...Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Input\FA-18C\joystick".

Copy the file and name that copy default.BAK   Click  YES to the " possible file extention error."

Next open the default.lua with Notepad++

Use "Find" to find the command line iCommandPlaneEject

This will take you where you to where you need to add the following command

{pressed = iCommandPlaneEject, down = iCommandPlaneEject, up = iCommandPlaneEject, name = _('Eject (push just once)'), category = _('Systems')},

Now I deleted the original "press three times" command and added the above in its place.
Save the file & accept file overwrite.

Launch DCS and open the Controls page.
Now there will be an added controls box of "Eject push just once"

Map your chosen key to this.

Fly and BOOOM!  You can punch-out with just one click or in my case pull of ejection handle.
Just dont " Do a Goose " :¬(  
F14 RIO's should eject the canopy first..then the seat. Check your history here.

Looking at the default.lua file I now kind of see how the commands should be set out and used.
The pdf on how-to is starting to crytalise.

Thank you for your patience LeCuvier. Bravo
McNasty_UK

20220817_203940.jpg

Edited by McNasty_UK
update
  • Like 1

Just a remark: there is no need to delete the original "...press 3 times" command. As long as the new command has a different name, original and added commands coexist without a problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LeCuvier

On 12/27/2021 at 11:24 PM, LeCuvier said:

I have no idea whether your programmable HID button doesn't work with the Hornet, but I created a command for a simple push button that generates the "eject" command 3 times if I push and release the button just once. I added the following line of code to the file "default.lua" in the folder "...\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Input\FA-18C\joystick":

...and this creates the new command "Eject (push just once)" which you can bind to a simple push button.
I added the same line of code into the "default.lua" of A-10C II, Bf-109K4 and F-16C (just for fun) and it worked there too.

Tried this with notepad++ for the Harrier but it won't work 😞 copy and pasted that line into the lua but still not working