AJAN Jakt A/A wingspan orientation bug

Snappy

Hi,

I think the air to air AKAN manual gunsight is buggy as well. The target wingspan markers are wrongly orientated. They always stay parallel to the horizon, which makes them useless for their  purpose (which is to find range to target). 

They should be oriented parallel to the Viggens own wingline or in other words bank angle , so that they can be used for ranging when you align plane-of-motion with your target.

I attached a screenshot to illustrate the issue. The target is in a simple horizontal turn, yet you can't use the wingspan markers to get range, because they're simply in the wrong axis and even if you perfectly align your plane of motion with the target's  that doesnt help you.

Interestingly though, the little fin-like top marker in the upper part of the symbology is correctly orientated to the Viggens wingline/bank angle.

The wingspan markers should be orientated / aligned the same way with the VIggens horizontal axis/wingline. I drew the correct position into the picture in darker green. That way the sight can be used correctly once you align your plane-of-motion with the targets plane-of-motion.

I know air to air was only a secondary role for the AJ/AJS variant, but still would be nice if this could be improved. 

AkanJakt3.png

Edited by Snappy

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dig out this old  report again @MYSE1234, but is this still being worked on / on the bug list ?

According to this old update post by cobra, at least the the orientation for the IR-BB sidewinder sight should have been fixed and orientated correctly relative to the plane and the not the horizon:

He wrote in the changelog , quote:

"The dumping of the sight for sidewinder carried on wingtips should now be relative to the plane and not the horizon."

Here is his post:

However contrary to that , in the latest DCS version of the Viggen, the Sidewinder sight is again wrongly orientated relative to the horizon and not the aircraft plane.  And the Air to Air gunsight still is  too. 

Regards,

Snappy

Edited by Snappy

33 minutes ago, MYSE1234 said:

It turns out it's correct in it being aligned with the horizon, it was just the illustration making it look wrong.

Can be seen here in a SK37: https://youtu.be/E8Eom2shLyo?t=243

Hey thank you for your quick reply. OK interesting.   But does the same apply to the air-to-air gunsymbology? Because it doesnt seem to make sense. As soon as you bank, the wingspan distance markers become useless, since they dont follow your plane orientation. 

I know its a completely different aircraft, but in this HUD footage from the JA37 you can see that its air to air symbology is aligned to its own plane orientation.  So maybe the same principle was applied on the old viggen for the A2A gun sight. Its at time 3:41 and again in another mode at 3:54, I dont know how to include timestamps in YT links.

Edited by Snappy