Work Around For Rudder Pedals

I Have The Warthog HOTAS And "Had" CH Pedals. The Pedals Crapped Out On Me. I Was Not Impressed By Those Pedals. Unfortunately, There Is No Twist Rudder On The Stick And I Can't Quite Swing $500 On A Set Of Quality Pedals. Given That, Does Anyone Have A Work Around "Temp" For Rudder Control Until I Can Get The Pedals?

well a rotary knob can work as rudders also you should be able to put a curve and such on it.

Edited by The_Nephilim
  • Like 1

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

well a rotary knob can work as rudders also you should be able to put a curve and such on it.
I have been wanting to get the virpil CM3 throttle to combine with the thrustmaster warthog stick but concern for rudder control is been there.
My present T1300m throttle has levers that I use for rudder control.
This suggestion could very well work out nice for me with the virpil throttle.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

IMO just save up for a set of MFG Crosswinds and never worry about pedals again.    Yes.. you're going to pay $300+ shipping from Croatia (if US based).    But the composite material is never going to break on you, if the electronics go bad they aren't hard to replace, and Milan sells replacement parts on his website should it happen outside of his warranty period.  He's pretty quick to answer emails if you ask him anything.  Not to mention, when you feel how smoothly they operate compared to any plastic POS you're going to get from Thrustmaster, CH, Logisaitek you're going to be all smiles. 

I bought mine back when he was cnc milling them as a one man operation and had a waiting list and it was worth the 6 month wait back then. He usually has them in stock now.   I've since added a hydraulic dampener that he also sells.. I bricked the MCU in them somehow.. milan sent me a replacement MCU for the cost of shipping, I was 2 months outside of the warranty. All I needed was a hex key and a screwdriver.   It was stupidly easy to replace.  My toebrake cables had a short.. I replaced them.  

Each process took me like 10-20 minutes.  The design is genius.  You can take it apart easily and without fear of damaging anything. The ONLY wires are the toe brake cables and the USB cable from the pedals to the PC.   Replacing any of that requires zero soldering.  And for flying helos it's pretty awesome to unhook the spring and just use the hydraulic damper I installed.  

Barring that, find another set of CH pedals or maybe the thrustmaster T-flight.   I'd avoid the saitek now logitech pedals like the plague.  Cheap soft plastic and the wiring inside is insane.    Nothing's going to offer you what pedals offered you paired with that warthog.  

The Crosswinds have a much higher chance of lasting you a lifetime though imo.  

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

^Awesome.  I thought they were more than that... that's about what a Big Bertha driver costs, and unlike DCS, golf is a waste of time.  

I've only solved half my problem, with VKB pedals.  Which oddly aren't much more than CH or TM plastics.  Great value; I figure I can find a brake axis somewhere.  Perhaps with a new VKB stick! 

See how ya save money in this hobby, using logic? 

• Like 1

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

On 12/30/2021 at 11:48 AM, Headwarp said:

IMO just save up for a set of MFG Crosswinds and never worry about pedals again.    Yes.. you're going to pay $300+ shipping from Croatia (if US based).    But the composite material is never going to break on you, if the electronics go bad they aren't hard to replace, and Milan sells replacement parts on his website should it happen outside of his warranty period.  He's pretty quick to answer emails if you ask him anything.  Not to mention, when you feel how smoothly they operate compared to any plastic POS you're going to get from Thrustmaster, CH, Logisaitek you're going to be all smiles. 

I bought mine back when he was cnc milling them as a one man operation and had a waiting list and it was worth the 6 month wait back then. He usually has them in stock now.   I've since added a hydraulic dampener that he also sells.. I bricked the MCU in them somehow.. milan sent me a replacement MCU for the cost of shipping, I was 2 months outside of the warranty. All I needed was a hex key and a screwdriver.   It was stupidly easy to replace.  My toebrake cables had a short.. I replaced them.  

Each process took me like 10-20 minutes.  The design is genius.  You can take it apart easily and without fear of damaging anything. The ONLY wires are the toe brake cables and the USB cable from the pedals to the PC.   Replacing any of that requires zero soldering.  And for flying helos it's pretty awesome to unhook the spring and just use the hydraulic damper I installed.  

Barring that, find another set of CH pedals or maybe the thrustmaster T-flight.   I'd avoid the saitek now logitech pedals like the plague.  Cheap soft plastic and the wiring inside is insane.    Nothing's going to offer you what pedals offered you paired with that warthog.  

Thanks for this post, never knew anyone made such I high quality set of pedals. I imagine this will be the same feeling I had when upgrading from my T1600M to VKB Gunfighter III.

I'll definitely be upgrading to these pedals, I hate the feel of my current TM TFRP's, and they are so loud!

Edited by Hector45
  • Thanks 1

Modules: F-14A/B | F-15C | F-16C | F/A-18C | SU-33 | Spitfire Mk IX | AH-64D | UH-1 | Super Carrier | Combined Arms | Persian Gulf | Syria | NTTR

Setup: VKB Gunfighter Mk.III F-14 CE HOTAS | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | MFG Crosswind V3 | Custom switch panel | Tek Creations F14 Display Panel | Custom F14 Left Vertical Console | Custom IR Tracker | Custom butt kicker

PC: i7 11700K | 64GB G-Skill DDR4 3600MHz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | DCS dedicated 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD | 3440x1440 144hz 34" ultrawide

16 hours ago, loocius said:

OK....Pulled The Trigger So To Speak. Just Be On The Lookout For A Little Indonesian Woman When She Finds Out!!!

Thanks For The Advice

I hope you enjoy them.  I think you will.   I love mine.   

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

8 hours ago, DeltaMike said:

^Awesome.  I thought they were more than that... that's about what a Big Bertha driver costs, and unlike DCS, golf is a waste of time.  

I've only solved half my problem, with VKB pedals.  Which oddly aren't much more than CH or TM plastics.  Great value; I figure I can find a brake axis somewhere.  Perhaps with a new VKB stick! 

See how ya save money in this hobby, using logic? 

I just wanted to add to this thread that the VKB rudder pedals aren't a bad option either.  They totally slipped my mind.    They don't have toe brakes, but you can get by with out them if  you don't mind tapping buttons.   before I got the gunfighter I was tapping a button in aircraft that didn't utilize aircraft because it was awkward just using one pedal.   Tapping a button is doable.     Having both is definitely nice. 

Either choice is hard to go wrong.   It might be worth a DIY'ing something to mount the Crosswinds to that expands the bass and keeps it against a wall.  piece of wood with some cheap carpet to protect your floors and walls.  The spring resistance goes from nothing to leg day OP, so do be sure if your chair has wheels that you have a way of stopping them from rolling.   Before I went crazy on my simpit I used a piece of plywood that I also mounted the pedals to that I'd cut two holes into that I'd roll the wheels of my chair into.  In hindsight, my pedals were too close to me and it wasn't great for my back. 

The Crosswinds are best hardmounted, but if you keep both feet on them and keep them against the wall using the spacers they should be fine.  

some simple ideas for a more stable platform that wont tip if you for some reason are only using one foot, stealing from google images

PVC pipe, foam, slab of wood, bolts.  

My DIY Mount/ Base for MFG Crosswind Pedals - Hardware Controllers |  Joysticks | Drivers - The AVSIM Community

My DIY Mount/ Base for MFG Crosswind Pedals - Hardware Controllers |  Joysticks | Drivers - The AVSIM Community

Slab of wood and bolts.. frankly I'd put some carpet or some rubber pads that keep it off that ground and perhaps protect your walls. 

Simple MDF Base for MFG Crosswind pedals : r/hotas

Spoiler

Hot tip: ergo360.com has the ironically-named "sliders" that'll work for any chair.  Little feet that replace the wheels.  That...um... keep it from sliding.   They can fit any chair, including Ikea.  Which I guess is a thing now, gaming-chair wise.  $69 for a mesh gaming chair is a bargain imo.  Cool thing is, Monstertech can fit em with Hotas mounts for only $350.  See how you can save money in this hobby by being a smart shopper?  DCS is like Kmart, there's a bargain on every aisle

Edited by DeltaMike
  • Like 1

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

On 12/30/2021 at 11:48 AM, Headwarp said:

Total Came To $455 (w/ Dampener)And Will Be Here The 10th

45 minutes ago, loocius said:

Total Came To $455 (w/ Dampener)And Will Be Here The 10th

Yeeouch.   Still.. rest assured, you just got some of the best pedals on the market.  I personally haven't seen any negative reviews about them..  most reviews are highly positive, and the people I've suggested them to that ended up buying a set are usually pretty blown away with what they get. 

You're going to enjoy your new pedals.  

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

How you feeling about them?  Did I fail you?  

Spoiler

He's on Cloud #7 still smiling....give him some time..LoL

• Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 2 weeks later...

so do you use more than one style of pedal or is one better than the other? the kit comes with two sets. i need something new. i nearly kill myself every time i try to land or take off.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

• 1 month later...

Just got my MFG Crosswind pedals and wow they are amazing! Makes my old thrustmaster pedals feel like they were made by Fisher Price.

Modules: F-14A/B | F-15C | F-16C | F/A-18C | SU-33 | Spitfire Mk IX | AH-64D | UH-1 | Super Carrier | Combined Arms | Persian Gulf | Syria | NTTR

Setup: VKB Gunfighter Mk.III F-14 CE HOTAS | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | MFG Crosswind V3 | Custom switch panel | Tek Creations F14 Display Panel | Custom F14 Left Vertical Console | Custom IR Tracker | Custom butt kicker

PC: i7 11700K | 64GB G-Skill DDR4 3600MHz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | DCS dedicated 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD | 3440x1440 144hz 34" ultrawide